GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Hello!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello!

Hi guys and gals,

my name is Sandy and i'm from NY, Currently I drive a 2006 Dodge charger srt-8 (giving chrysler a second chance) and it was a BIG mistake, I love how it drives but in any water or snow its ALL over the place, and I need a more versatile vehichle with higher ground clearance, for example, today on my way home from work, I hit a pot hole and the whole front of the car dropped down and scraped the ground, I stopped and got out and looked and saw that there was a HUGE scuff on my bumper. We also like to go camping, and I used to have a Navigator and it was PERFECT for sleeping for me and my husband and my son would sleep in the front seat.
So I finally gave in today after this incident, and have decided I want something new and higher off the ground, I went Right to the cadillac dealer and checked out the escalade, and the seats don't fold flat, and thats a deal breaker, then I went to the porsche dealer and looked at the Cayenne S, and the interior is just TOO small, and the seats don't fold flat enough, after that I looked at the Mazda cx-7 and thats too small, I need a third row BAD!, then I went to the hummer dealer because I saw a landrover LR3 that caught my eye, and it is a REALLY nice truck, but the dashboard is a little too bland, and flat. SO! finally I got to the MB dealer after about 2 hours of Looking at other SUV's and checked out the R-500 and GL-450 and I LOVE the GL for its off-road prowess, and I love the r's space and spaceship look, and when I equipped them on the dealers little computer thing the r came to $68,865 and the GL 67,830, so the price difference isn't enough to justify buying one or the other.
Please help me! I haven't test drove yet, so everyone who has please give me some feedback and tell me what you think, either or them will ever experience any HEAVY off roading, just getting up our steep snowy driveway, and mabye through some tight dirt trails.

Thanks everyone and love these forums,
sandy
Old 06-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Almost a Member!

you mentioned the need for high ground clearance. obviously gl is the winner over the R. the dash and instrumentation is pretty identical. i've heard the R is a "better" ride but i can't say for sure since i've only driven the GL. i suggest you test drive both cars extensively; city and highway if possible. test the acceleration also. on a final note, the R class may have a slightly higher msrp BUT, you can get some substantial discount whereas the GL will pretty much be msrp; slightly less if you have a relationship with the dealer. also a major difference between the two is the 2nd row in the R seats only two; a deal breaker for me. hence, i'll be taking delivery of the GL sometime in july. good luck with your decision.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:39 PM

well, the r-500 I optioned up had the air suspension, and I saw a pic with it to full height and It looked plenty high enough for bad potholes and things.