GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL vs Lexus LX470

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 500 Cabriolet
GL vs Lexus LX470

I checked out the new GL today at my local dealer and while I'm impressed to some degree I am also not blown away. I drive a 06 LX470 and it is an 8 yr old body style that in my opinion is just as sharp and probally more reliable than the new GL. The GL lacks some running boards or mud guards and fender flares to make it more rugged looking....The LX looks 10 times more macho/manly than the GL on the exterior. Interior space looks about the same on the GL vs the LX and fit and finish is pretty much on par. I do like the extra horsepower and independent rear suspension. I did not drive the GL yet so no comment on the ride. I'm interested in a GL when and if they bring a diesel to market until then I really think they just met the mark of an 8 yr old platform and when Lexus brings out the new LX in 08 its gonna be that much further ahead of the GL.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:11 PM

LX vs GL

I have an LX ('03) as well, and, while it's been very capable, it does have a dated feel to it. I've not yet been able to crawl around a GL in person, but I am expecting it to be more efficiently packaged, etc (although you didn;t get that impression). I actually talked to my Lexus dealer yesterday looking for guidance on when the JX (LX replacement) will be coming, and he thought it would be at least 3 yrs because of the vehicle's low volume (both for lexus in the form of the LX and toyota in the the Landcruiser) and therefore relatively low urgency to replace it. His view was that the hotter motor will help bridge the next 3+yrs. As a result, it seems like something like the GL is one of only a handful of viable alternatives for a someone wanting a newer platform.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
LX470 looks 'manlier' ?
Only if you have the front and rear brush guards, other than that it's a girly looking beast.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:36 PM

LX vs GL (cont)

After looking at the stats presented on pages 18 and 19 of the Walkaround Guide posted elsewhere, it seems like my theory that the more modern (and seemingly more efficient) packaging of the GL would translate into more interior room than the LX is false. It is the narrowest of the vehicles compared (as measured by shoulder room), and also has the lowest cargo volume behind each of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd row seats. I obviously want to see it / compare it in person, but the stats are disappointing.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
LX470 looks 'manlier' ?
Only if you have the front and rear brush guards, other than that it's a girly looking beast.
I gotta agree with you. Everytime i see a Land Cruiser or a Range Rover, it has a woman driving it.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:27 AM

2006 S500, 2004 LX470
Haven't driven a GL, but we own a 2003 LX470. Happy with the car, the LX nav system is much better than out 2006 W220. I geel the better comparison is the the G-Wagen. But again I haven't driven one of those either.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:14 AM

GL vs LX (cont)

I agree that the Lexus nav system is top-notch...very intuitive and very comprehensive. Don't have direct experience w/ the MB nav product, but I would expect it to be hard to match the LX offering.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:23 PM

size vs LX470

I spent a lot of time crawling around a GL, and it wasn;t as big on the interior as I had expected or hoped. Relative to the LX, where you notice it most is from a width standpoint....the more sloped / rounded greenhouse on the GL gives away a lot of shoulder room to the box-like LX. I guess this should have been more intuitive to me, but I was surprised nonetheless. As a result, I think the GL is not an option for me, as I need to be able to fit 3 car seats across the second row. Now I hope the LX replacement manages to arrive more quickly than the Lexus camp would seem to indicate.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:10 AM

Lexus GS 450h
The next LX should be the LX 550 and based on the new Sequoia, it will be a much larger vehicle. Expect all the new tech in the LS 600h including a hybrid option.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:33 PM

08' S550,,,C63!
I own a 99' Lexus LX 470 and it has been a great SUV it has now about 120,000 mile and it still runs like new and the suspention is still provides a great ride! I recently bought a new Range Rover Sport and the ride is a little tougher. I was about to buy a new 2006 LX 470 but the Price is ridicules here it goes for $99,000.00 will the 40% tax they add. I rather wait to see the 2007.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:28 PM

the new LX

the new LX (or JX as I believe it will be called) will likely not arrive for at least a couple of years, most likely three.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
there is one thing the GL beats the LX on: style. LX really looks dated to me, even though i appreciate that it is a tough and well-built beast. some might say it has achieved "timeless" status (when was the last design change?) but i think it's tired although not unpleasant.

my family has 3 LXs between us: very nice vehicles and pretty maintenance free(except for one air suspension failure), although the ride is way too soft for my liking and it doesn't seem to like accelerating above 150km/h.

we're looking at the GL as a replacement in the future, as and when it becomes available around these parts of the world, so, will report back when i get some first hand experience.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:00 PM

08' S550,,,C63!
Originally Posted by ruykava
there is one thing the GL beats the LX on: style. LX really looks dated to me, even though i appreciate that it is a tough and well-built beast. some might say it has achieved "timeless" status (when was the last design change?) but i think it's tired although not unpleasant.

my family has 3 LXs between us: very nice vehicles and pretty maintenance free(except for one air suspension failure), although the ride is way too soft for my liking and it doesn't seem to like accelerating above 150km/h.

we're looking at the GL as a replacement in the future, as and when it becomes available around these parts of the world, so, will report back when i get some first hand experience.
I went to the dealer today and saw the GL 450 which was great and after looking at the features etc... I am planning to buy one Silver with Balck interior. I plan on trading my 745Li for the GL 450. My sales Rep told me they would have it for the first week of June. It would come with premuim package 1 and lighting package as well. I think there is some other feature but cant remember. The sticker is at $66,000. Also it comes with the factory 18 which I think suck! I dont know what to do about that.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:12 PM
MKW

08 GL450
Originally Posted by MiamiE55
I gotta agree with you. Everytime i see a Land Cruiser or a Range Rover, it has a woman driving it.
As if the GL ( as a 7 seater ) will not be yet another soccermobile ( where the Volvo XC90 is the current HANDS DOWN winner in this category by sheer numbers here in Palo Alto ).

Last edited by MKW; 04-25-2006 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:56 PM

LS430, GL450, SL550
I took a look at the GL-450 yesterday. Seems like it is well priced. If I had a frequent need for third row seats I would definitely consider trading my LX470 for a GL-450. But since I don't, I don't see enough reasons to trade.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:40 AM

A few thoughts on the GL vs LX 470 question.

First, the bona fides: I have owned 9 Mercedes (including a 2006 ML currently), and have driven the old ML and the G-Wagon extensively. I have also owned 4 Landcruisers\Lexus 470s, with my current LX at 47,000 miles, with several hundred miles off-road. I also went through in detail the first GL our dealer got. I have not driven it yet, however, but expect to do so in the next two weeks.

Here are my impressions: The GL is attractive, relatively well-built and comfortable. Having essentially the same interior as the new ML (which is light years ahead of the previous model) it is rich looking and functional. The second row seat headrest issue is something I noticed immediately, and don't understand the need for that particular design. Storage capacity is good and the third row folding seat is a great feature.

In the right setting, the GL would be a fine vehicle. That setting is the Surburban, Yukon XL crowd. This is a fine vehicle for transporting a family in comfort and safety over mostly paved roads. It is not a true off-roader (and neither is the ML).

The LX 470 ( and Landcruiser) are a different story. They are the equal of the GL (assuming the GL drives similar to my new ML) on the road, but are hard core off road vehicles underneath. They are the vehicle of choice in the Australian Outback, and dominate Africa (just watch any news report from those places and you will see them everywhere). (The guy who wrote that he only sees women driving these might want to be careful with his choice of words if he ever goes to Oz).

If you think I am exaggerating about these vehicles, get an auto creeper and roll underneath one of these. They are overbuilt to a fault and can go literally anywhere short of an H1, because I have done it myself.

The build quality is old-school Mercedes--heavy guage steel, quality furnishings, bank-vault solidity, and nothing ever goes wrong with them, at least in my experience of 100,000 miles total in them. I've had my 2001 LX for 5 years and haven't even replaced a light bulb. Two sets of wiper blades and a new set of tires is it. Howver, they are not a G-Wagon, meaning they ride well, are quiet, supremely comfortable and the heated seats actually get warm.

Regarding the "souless Lexus"--"Soul" in a vehicle like these is defined as something that is stone reliable, won't break and leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere, that you can trust to get you and your family where you are going in the middle of a blizzard, or across the Great Salt Lake Desert, that starts every time, every day and never sees the inside of a repair shop. That is "soul" in an SUV to me.

For 2006 they have added HP, marginally better mileage, and a few other features. It is my understanding from everything I have read and from my Lexus dealer that the new LX (JX or whatever) is set to debut next year as a 2008 model, based on the new Tundra platform. The spy photos I have seen show a vehicle with a more prominent grill, bigger fender flares, pretty much over-the-top, sort of like a Ram pickup on the Cream AND the Clear.

Not my cup of tea, so my plan is to buy one of the last 2007s and hold onto it as long as I can. I have owned dozens of cars (including a bunch of sports cars) , trucks, SUVs and the LX is the best all-around vehicle I have ever owned.

My opinion anyway.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
I agree about the build of the LX, but for what most people use these SUVs for the LX is outdated being that overbuilt just like the G is. Its more of a niche product than a mainstream product at this point. The GL will be the better of the two for most people.

M
Old 05-11-2006, 09:00 AM

2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Originally Posted by jasonm
After looking at the stats presented on pages 18 and 19 of the Walkaround Guide posted elsewhere, it seems like my theory that the more modern (and seemingly more efficient) packaging of the GL would translate into more interior room than the LX is false. It is the narrowest of the vehicles compared (as measured by shoulder room), and also has the lowest cargo volume behind each of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd row seats. I obviously want to see it / compare it in person, but the stats are disappointing.
The numbers don't lie. The GL does have better 3rd row legroom than the LX however.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:14 PM
JLP

06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
Originally Posted by Thronso
A few thoughts on the GL vs LX 470 question.

The LX 470 ( and Landcruiser) are a different story. They are the equal of the GL (assuming the GL drives similar to my new ML) on the road, but are hard core off road vehicles underneath.

My opinion anyway.
Unfortunately a body on frame SUV with a solid rear axle (the lexus) can never handle or drive as good as the unit-body/independent rear suspension of the GL. I've driven the GL and it is worlds better on the road than the LX.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:18 PM

Mercedes all the way!
i agree with everything Thronso said, but have to take exception to this quote:
They are the equal of the GL (assuming the GL drives similar to my new ML) on the road
i have not driven the new ML, but unless the ML is a very disappointing drive, the LX cannot be the equal UNLESS the only criteria is comfort (i.e. spongy comfort). sure it's very big but it really, really epitomises "floaty handling". is the steering even connected to the wheels? :p

and they're all about torque: as Thronso said, it really is an off-roader. looks like a truck, built like a truck, drives like a truck - but with all the trimmings.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:03 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by JLP
Unfortunately a body on frame SUV with a solid rear axle (the lexus) can never handle or drive as good as the unit-body/independent rear suspension of the GL. I've driven the GL and it is worlds better on the road than the LX.

The LX was made for a different purpose off-roading. I drove the GL it has no roll at all but it doesn’t come slandered with a transfer case. So it’s not a real off- roading machine like the LX.

The 3rd row leg room and truck space arn't great in the GL. Yeah, numbers don't lie but I can fit my bike in the back of the LX but not in the GL.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:40 AM

I think the LX and GX need a serious update, the inside seems so....old JMO JMO!