GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Any GL owner previously ownerd Lexus LX?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 10:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any GL owner previously ownerd Lexus LX?

I am a big fan & previous owner of Lexus LX470 but it's becoming old & is due to replacement for MY2008. I've owned a Merc ML before & it was great for a mid size SUV. Since the GL is full size, I am interested in it. However, the shape is not very appealing (perhaps it grows on you). I want to go back to Merc & interested to hear from people who've also owned the LX & have experience comparing them.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2006, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS500, 05 Range Rover, 00 Landcruiser
I still have my Land Cruiser, which is the same as the LX minus elecronic shocks and other exterior trims. LC is bigger and wider inside. GL is much faster and handles much better. No tippy feeling in GL while LC requires some slow down on corners. Ride is about the same but my LC has 15 inch wheels. There are roads where LC rides better and there are roads where GL rides better. Both are quiet. Both have heavy (to some) steering. LC second row can be reclined to about 45 degrees. LC design really looks old while the GL is very fresh. LC leather is smoother, you have to get GL with nappa leather to feel the same texture. Entry/Exit in GL is much better since it sits lower. Both have superior fit and finish but my LC has no rattle up to this time (6 yrs old). We'll see how the GL holds in the years to come. GL 7 speed transmission is better than the LC. LC requires effort to fold 3rd rows while GL is effortless.

Again this is comparing the Landcruiser, not the LX470.