GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Gl63 ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 03:09 PM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
Gl63 ?

Any news on a GL63 ?

My wife is hot for a Supercharged Range Rover but I'm very worried about the quality and lack of third row seats since we have two young children that will want to go places with friends. It also doesn't have a power gate which she uses all the time. Her desire is all about form rather than function.

We're going to drive a GL450 tomorrow, but I think it will take a 550 or 63 to sway her away from the Rover. She doesn't love the GL styling as much as the Rover, but it definitely has better functionality and with a bigger engine will be much faster than even the supercharged Rovers. She loves driving my CLS55 so more power could be the deciding point, along with an AMG (or other tuner) aero package.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Erick, so far there are no news on GL63s. AMG is busy with new engine intro in ML, R, CLK, CLS and E-class that I do not expect GL63 for at least a year and a half.

Now as far as performance, GL450 is not a slouch. Motor Trend has it at 14.8@93 mph, which is just about what SC Range Rover does.

Find a good road and lay into it. It is quick and the 7-speed tranny keeps it on the boil.

Have fun!
Old 06-28-2006, 05:47 PM
ON PROBATION

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am slmost sure that we will see the GL550 before calendar-year end; and I am just about as sure that we won't see the GL63 until after the end of the calendar year.

Nothing wrong with doing a GL450 now or waiting a few months more for the GL550 to come out, and then trading up to the GL63 next year - if necessary - when it comes out....

I don't think that you are going to find anything out there that is going to give you everything, and be as satisfying, as the new MBZ GL will.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS500, 05 Range Rover, 00 Landcruiser
Originally Posted by ekovalsky
Any news on a GL63 ?

My wife is hot for a Supercharged Range Rover but I'm very worried about the quality and lack of third row seats since we have two young children that will want to go places with friends. It also doesn't have a power gate which she uses all the time. Her desire is all about form rather than function.

We're going to drive a GL450 tomorrow, but I think it will take a 550 or 63 to sway her away from the Rover. She doesn't love the GL styling as much as the Rover, but it definitely has better functionality and with a bigger engine will be much faster than even the supercharged Rovers. She loves driving my CLS55 so more power could be the deciding point, along with an AMG (or other tuner) aero package.
Range Rover is a very classic and nice looking suv. However, even their supercharge version is much slower than GL450. 0-60 in about 7 seconds for SC and the regular version (like mine) is even slower. Prepare to befriend the service advisor in your local dealer. There are quality issues. Nothing major though as the mechanicals seems to work fine. But even the minor problems tend to be annoying if its happenning over and over again (ex. doors can't be open). I spent countless hours dropping the car for repair, waiting for the F-150 loaner, picking up the car....just to drop the car again within 1 month for another issue. The range rover has better ride though even under any road conditions.