GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Posted this on BMW X5 forum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1992 500E, 2006 E500, 2007 GL 450
Posted this on BMW X5 forum

"Went back and drove 4.8 and GL450 again. Pulled the trigger on the GL450. If it were primarily my car as opposed to my wife's it would have been a closer call, but overall GL was clearly better choice for me. Driving my X5 4.4 back to back with the 4.8 and GL I found the ride only slightly improved in the 4.8 vs my 4.4 and really flinty vs the GL. From a passenger's perspective the GL is a much better ride. The 4.8 did not seem any quicker than my 4.4 5 speed auto and perhaps a only tick quicker than the GL at best. Interior appointments in the 4.8 were somewhat better than the 4.4, but nowhere near the GL. Overall it seemed to me the improvements in the E70 vs the E53 were baby steps not a significant step up."

I bought the GL even though I believe great deals will be available in the summer as introduction of the 5.5 liter engine nears. I am geared up for a huge first year depreciation hit.

Last edited by nantucketsleigh; 01-23-2007 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:31 PM
Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Porsche Macan, 2017 NSX, 2011 R350
Good choice on the GL. I myself was chosing between the X5 and GL, and finally ended up getting the GL, despite the fact that I'm a huge BMW fan. I found that for an SUV and what it should be, the GL just offered more than the X5. More space, more comfort, more car for the $, etc. The X5 is more fun to drive, but that's fine. I still have my 98 M3 for a weekend toy.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by nantucketsleigh
"Went back and drove 4.8 and GL450 again. Pulled the trigger on the GL450. If it were primarily my car as opposed to my wife's it would have been a closer call, but overall GL was clearly better choice for me. Driving my X5 4.4 back to back with the 4.8 and GL I found the ride only slightly improved in the 4.8 vs my 4.4 and really flinty vs the GL. From a passenger's perspective the GL is a much better ride. The 4.8 did not seem any quicker than my 4.4 5 speed auto and perhaps a only tick quicker than the GL at best. Interior appointments in the 4.8 were somewhat better than the 4.4, but nowhere near the GL. Overall it seemed to me the improvements in the E70 vs the E53 were baby steps not a significant step up."

I bought the GL even though I believe great deals will be available in the summer as introduction of the 5.5 liter engine nears. I am geared up for a huge first year depreciation hit.
Good posts...both of the above. I have the GL320CDI on order and was going back and forth on the BMW X5 but did not drive it (was not out when I made the decision.) It is good to read the comments and know that I made a move in the right direction, especially the "ride" factor. I was pleased with my test drive of the GL even though I have the S550 with ABC...it was excellent.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:34 PM
Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Porsche Macan, 2017 NSX, 2011 R350
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Good posts...both of the above. I have the GL320CDI on order and was going back and forth on the BMW X5 but did not drive it (was not out when I made the decision.) It is good to read the comments and know that I made a move in the right direction, especially the "ride" factor. I was pleased with my test drive of the GL even though I have the S550 with ABC...it was excellent.
The GL's ride is amazing. Extremely comfortable to say the least. I can't comment on the S550's ride (should obviously be better than all of these), but both my wife and I found the GL to ride at LEAST as smooth and comfortable as my W211 E-class. I might as well say it rides more comfortably. The X5, on the other hand, has a stiffer ride.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Cal
The GL's ride is amazing. Extremely comfortable to say the least. I can't comment on the S550's ride (should obviously be better than all of these), but both my wife and I found the GL to ride at LEAST as smooth and comfortable as my W211 E-class. I might as well say it rides more comfortably. The X5, on the other hand, has a stiffer ride.
More good news..:-) I had a 211 ('03) and I agree it was a very nice ride also. The S with ABC is as about as good as it can get with wheels on the ground. I know I will be pleased with the GL.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 ML350 Bluetec for work, E550 for pleasure, & ML350 for my wife
Interesting post nantucket.
I also just came out of a 2003 X5 4.4. I really loved how the car handled, and was very interested in checking out the new 4.8 series. Once I found out how much they cost when nicely equiped, I began looking at other +60K vehicles while I waited for the first 4.8's to arrive at dealers. I shopped the MB dealers and looked long & hard at the GL. I finally decided the GL was a little to big for my personal comfort ride, and test drove an E550.
After 2 months of looking, the new X5's finally came in. I went to check them out, and was so disappointed in the new look I never even drove one. The third row seats were a joke. The salesman told me a minimum 2 more months before any "stock" 4.8's would be available, unless someone backed out of a factory pre-order. This was early November. Went back to the MB dealer & ordered the E550, and took delivery Dec 28th.

I'm now shopping for a new company vehicle, and looking hard at the GL's again. It's nice to hear all the positive talk on their handleing & performance. I'm torn between a GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500HD, GMC Yukon Denali, or the GL.