agree with this poster from benzworld?...snow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07' GL 320 CDI, Iridium Silver, Fully Loaded
Question agree with this poster from benzworld?...snow

My GL is a difficult mess in snow.

I parked my car overnight in falling snow the night of the 16th of March. The hood cut outs and the single bulkhead at the rear of the engine compartment allow engine heat to escape. This melts falling snow into slush that freezes solidly at the rear of the hood. Then, as snow falls on the warm windshield, it also freezes. As snow accumulates, a pile takes shape directly on the windshield and is held solidly in place by the hood cut outs and the lip at the rear of the hood.

When I get into the car, I am able to defrost the rear windshield in five minutes using the heating wires laminated on the rear glass. However, I can do nothing to clear the front because there are no heating wires there, and the front defroster is useless on piles of snow outside the windshield.

I have to drive the car for more than thirty minutes with a pile of frozen snow on the windshield until enough gaps appear so that I can see.

Also the retracting side mirrors remain frozen in their retracted position until thirty minutes later, after running the car, they are free to be manually put into their driving position.

Another design disaster is the ventilation system. In a rain condition, the interior fogs up completely. The sun roof accumulates water until drops come down on the front seat occupants. Fogged windows have to be cleared by handkerchiefs and a rod and sponge contraption is needed to keep the front windshield's sides clear of condensation. Rear seat passengers also have to keep napkins to clear their glass. Rear seat passengers get to sit in the cold damp air with no ventiltation.

What idiot designed this car?

As to handling, the ABS works fine as does the traction system. However, the Dunlop radials pull the car sharply to the right on left hand turns and pull it sharply to the left on right hand turns.

I am sure I'll discover more gremlins as I pass the 10,000 mile mark behind its wheel.

I never ever had such enormous safety problems with the 190e.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by rleggs

I parked my car overnight in falling snow the night of the 16th of March. The hood cut outs and the single bulkhead at the rear of the engine compartment allow engine heat to escape. This melts falling snow into slush that freezes solidly at the rear of the hood. Then, as snow falls on the warm windshield, it also freezes. As snow accumulates, a pile takes shape directly on the windshield and is held solidly in place by the hood cut outs and the lip at the rear of the hood.

When I get into the car, I am able to defrost the rear windshield in five minutes using the heating wires laminated on the rear glass. However, I can do nothing to clear the front because there are no heating wires there, and the front defroster is useless on piles of snow outside the windshield.

I have to drive the car for more than thirty minutes with a pile of frozen snow on the windshield until enough gaps appear so that I can see.

Also the retracting side mirrors remain frozen in their retracted position until thirty minutes later, after running the car, they are free to be manually put into their driving position.

Another design disaster is the ventilation system. In a rain condition, the interior fogs up completely. The sun roof accumulates water until drops come down on the front seat occupants. Fogged windows have to be cleared by handkerchiefs and a rod and sponge contraption is needed to keep the front windshield's sides clear of condensation. Rear seat passengers also have to keep napkins to clear their glass. Rear seat passengers get to sit in the cold damp air with no ventiltation.

As to handling, the ABS works fine as does the traction system. However, the Dunlop radials pull the car sharply to the right on left hand turns and pull it sharply to the left on right hand turns.

I am sure I'll discover more gremlins as I pass the 10,000 mile mark behind its wheel.

I think this is a little harsh and overstated. I have not dealt with snow in many years but when I did I managed to do some ice and snow
pre-removal first. A snow scraper to get the big ice off the windshield and even some effort to remove snow from the hood while the car is warming up. Then the defroster is able to do it's job.

As far as the interior problems...the climate control should introduce an airflow which will de-hydrate the car and eliminate the condensation build up. He doesn't say if he has the rear seat heating package so that could account for the some of his problem.

I have owned many, many MB and never had a problem like he describes, nor have I seen any other major complaints along this line on the GL yet.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I think this is a little harsh and overstated. I have not dealt with snow in many years but when I did I managed to do some ice and snow
pre-removal first. A snow scraper to get the big ice off the windshield and even some effort to remove snow from the hood while the car is warming up. Then the defroster is able to do it's job.

As far as the interior problems...the climate control should introduce an airflow which will de-hydrate the car and eliminate the condensation build up. He doesn't say if he has the rear seat heating package so that could account for the some of his problem.

I have owned many, many MB and never had a problem like he describes, nor have I seen any other major complaints along this line on the GL yet.
+1

Virtually the same as my post on the other forum:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/gl-c...ml#post2287809
Old 03-18-2007, 05:01 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Harsh and overstated is an understated response to this post...that all sounds ridiculous. Don't you warm the car up in that much snow-dang, don't you park a $60k+ car in a garage? and the rain thing is total bunk as far as my experience.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by carpersn
Harsh and overstated is an understated response to this post...that all sounds ridiculous. Don't you warm the car up in that much snow-dang, don't you park a $60k+ car in a garage? and the rain thing is total bunk as far as my experience.

I figure the snow problem is indeed HIS problem and I'm glad to hear that ( at least so far ) nobody else has had anything like his condensation issue!
Old 03-19-2007, 04:15 PM
MKW

08 GL450
Unless one clears enough snow/ice from the HVAC "fresh air" intake area at the base of the windshield before driving off , you will fog up , even with the AC compressor turned on.
Just turn on RECIRC next time during a rainstorm and see how quickly you begin to fog up - less than a minute .
Old 03-19-2007, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by MKW
Unless one clears enough snow/ice from the HVAC "fresh air" intake area at the base of the windshield before driving off , you will fog up , even with the AC compressor turned on.
Just turn on RECIRC next time during a rainstorm and see how quickly you begin to fog up - less than a minute .

So are you saying ( forget snow and ice for a moment ) that the vehicle DOES FOG UP during a rainstorm regardless whether winter or summer?
Old 03-19-2007, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by blittle
So are you saying ( forget snow and ice for a moment ) that the vehicle DOES FOG UP during a rainstorm regardless whether winter or summer?
Don't worry about it...just RTFM when you get the car and you will not have any condensation or dripping water drops falling on you. Learn how to set the climate control properly and your car will be as dry as the desert...:-)
Old 03-19-2007, 06:16 PM

I find the climate control in MB's are actually very good (I have an old Ml350), never had any condensation issues at all, even when I pick up a car full of people with wet hair and "steam" coming off their heads.

As for snow, at least he's not complaining about how mother-nature dared to drop snow on his car! Always carry a ice-scraper in the winter time, I usually pour a bit of wind-shield washer fluid on thick ice to remove it faster BY HAND (you have to do it fast cuz it'll evetually freeze).

The retractable mirrors are common sense, I dont use it at all after I wash a car in the winter or when it's snowing.

As for traction, he's probably over-correcting and then ESP kicks in. You need to get used to the traction system and then it works like magic.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Don't worry about it...just RTFM when you get the car and you will not have any condensation or dripping water drops falling on you. Learn how to set the climate control properly and your car will be as dry as the desert...:-)
Always do.....every car I have ever owned.....can't understand those that don't!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 S600. 2005 Carrera GT. 2007 Range Rover SC. 2008 BMW X5. 1967 SS Chevelle.
I have not experienced any of those problems but I will say it could really really benefit from snow tires. Of all 4 wheel drive vehicles I have driven in my life, I would sadly say that my GL is one of the worst snow cars in terms of traction. Maybe its the tires but I have never needed to put snow tires on a 4wd car.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:23 PM

Received 157 Likes on 100 Posts
19 G550, 19 X3
I coming off an Audi A6 (pretty unflappable in the snow) & I would say the GL does pretty good in the snow also. It felt pretty stable & needed to be pushed hard (i.e. driven stupidly) before the VDC light lit. Now the tire choices are pretty slim, but the Michule Lattitude's that were stock on my GL are probably the best of the OEM bunch are far as snow.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
id imagine the people complaining of snow performance have 19 and 20 inch rims.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Kar don
id imagine the people complaining of snow performance have 19 and 20 inch rims.

That's probably a valid point..........I would assume that moving up to "low profile" tires that come with those wheels would really degrade the snow and/or "off road" capablity of the vehicle.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
Originally Posted by rleggs

You are being a bit harsh or unrealistic with your complaints,
any car you sit in will fog up windows when the conditions are right especially when you are doing something more then just sitting in it . As far as handling you have to get used to operating this vehicle, it is a bit larger then your previous 190e.
Just to remind folks that if you drive around the NY and NJ area without cleaning you car of snow you will get a ticket.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So far no one has said they have had a similar experience............condensation so bad that it DRIPS off of the sun roof! I find it hard to believe that it ever could happen to that degree
Old 03-20-2007, 11:46 PM

Received 157 Likes on 100 Posts
19 G550, 19 X3
Originally Posted by dunderhi
the Michule Lattitude's that were stock
Wow, did I write that? Michelin Latitude is more like it. According to TireRack the OEM Michelin 4x4 Diamaris and Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tires are considered summer tires and not useful below 40 degrees. Personally, I think I'll ride the Michelin's until next winter and then replace them with Geolanders, since I suspect the Michelins, like any all-season tire, is good in the snow when it is brand new, but will show it's limitations with some mileage.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:07 AM
Almost a Member!

If you want some good tires for snowy conditions go for the Nokian Hakkapelitas. Drove past both RR's, Toyota rav's and Bmw x5's parked in the ditch on the way to our cabin. We could easily just stop in the middle of a really steep incline (15-20 degrees probably) and just start without any problems. For the record, the reasson we bought new winter tires was to replace those sucky all year around tires that it came with.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:06 PM

13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
Originally Posted by blittle
So far no one has said they have had a similar experience............condensation so bad that it DRIPS off of the sun roof! I find it hard to believe that it ever could happen to that degree
Yeah, after reading the original pst I got nervous at work today. We just had a pretty good snow come through here in Boston and my new GL450 (1 week old) was covered with heavy wet stuff. I brought a towel out for the ride home expecting dripping and a big mess but no problems like that. I put on the max defrost w/ac on and dry as a bone and no window condensation all the way home. From what I've experienced so far, cold, warm, wet and now snow I think the climate control system works great IMO. ????
Old 04-04-2007, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jpeardm
Yeah, after reading the original pst I got nervous at work today. We just had a pretty good snow come through here in Boston and my new GL450 (1 week old) was covered with heavy wet stuff. I brought a towel out for the ride home expecting dripping and a big mess but no problems like that. I put on the max defrost w/ac on and dry as a bone and no window condensation all the way home. From what I've experienced so far, cold, warm, wet and now snow I think the climate control system works great IMO. ????

Glad to hear that.........mine arrives in May so, I won't have the opportunity to check the supposed problem. Sounds like the original poster must have done something "abnormal" to have had such a problem.