GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Ride Height and Tire Damage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 S430, 2007 GL450, 2007 S550
Question Ride Height and Tire Damage

I took my GL450 in for its 1st checkup (1500 miles). The front tires were cupping. My service advisor explained to me that I should not drive my vehicle even at low speeds while in the "raised" height position. He stated that it throws the front end out of alignment (camber) and causes the tires to cup. They actually had to rotate my front tires to the rear in order to prevent more wear.

Has anyone else been told this? It makes no sense to me that this would be an issue and not be plainly stated in the owners manual.

I personally like the look of the vehicle in the raised position much better. It looks too much like a mini-van in the lowered stance.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:59 AM
Almost a Member!

Wouldn't you have to drive for a very long time for it to wear down your tires?

And it'd be hard to keep the GL in "raised" mode because it drops once you hit 40mph. Sounds like BS to me.

Originally Posted by labjr1
I took my GL450 in for its 1st checkup (1500 miles). The front tires were cupping. My service advisor explained to me that I should not drive my vehicle even at low speeds while in the "raised" height position. He stated that it throws the front end out of alignment (camber) and causes the tires to cup. They actually had to rotate my front tires to the rear in order to prevent more wear.

Has anyone else been told this? It makes no sense to me that this would be an issue and not be plainly stated in the owners manual.

I personally like the look of the vehicle in the raised position much better. It looks too much like a mini-van in the lowered stance.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011

"Even at low speeds".......what are they saying? If the vehicle "should not be driven" in the raised position, then what the heck is the raised position for??? Something doesn't make sense here.............
Old 04-03-2007, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by blittle
"Even at low speeds".......what are they saying? If the vehicle "should not be driven" in the raised position, then what the heck is the raised position for??? Something doesn't make sense here.............
The raised position is to provide additional ground clearance for the vehicle in rough terrain. The normal riding position is not lowered, it is normal and designed to ride in that poisition under normal driving situations. It will also lower automatically to provide better aerodynamics at higher speeds.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 04-03-2007, 10:15 PM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
I don't mess with ride height but...

I leave the ride height function alone. However, the GL320 seems to raise and lower itself as it wishes. Does anyone else have a similar finding?
Old 04-04-2007, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
While the vehicle does look better raised, I do agree with what NJ said. Another factor for height dropping at higher speeds is to ensure that CG stays low to reduce rollover risk.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:20 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Originally Posted by oinick
I leave the ride height function alone. However, the GL320 seems to raise and lower itself as it wishes. Does anyone else have a similar finding?
I also leave it alone; no fording rivers for me. But at stoplights or in the garage, my GL will start dancing up and down at it's leisure (not really, but Airmatic does seem to have a mind of its own)...
Old 04-04-2007, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by carpersn
my GL will start dancing up and down at it's leisure
Do you have any idea how much money people pay to make their cars dance up and down??? And, you're not happy that it's standard with GL?

Those engineers at MB, they are always thinking. They might not be thinking the right thing but they are always thinking.