GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL450 vs RRover HSE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
GL450 vs RRover HSE

Hi all, I have had my GL450 for about 1000 miles now and am pretty well used to it. My wife has a new Range Rover HSE (about 3 months old) and I have probably driven it for about the same amount of seat time. Just thought it was interesting to compare the two.

The HSE definitely rides softer and quietly absorbs more bad road surface at low speeds but does not hanle as well and has less road feedback, more cushy. The GL handles much better overall, more of a drivers car for sure. The HSE is louder from engine noise on acceleration. The GL is definitely quieter at highway speeds and I'd say overall.

The sound system is nicer in the HSE, it just sounds better to me at high volumes using my iPod with FM transmitter or CD/SAT. The NAV display is larger and has better graphics in the HSE but is a touch screen which I hate, nobody cleans it. It is also impossible to see in bright sunlight.

As I've heard others have say, the HSE feels larger inside while driving but I think it's because of the larger glass area in the HSE, you have a feeling of more visiblity. I'm a big guy and the side to side fit for my knees is similar and plenty of leg room in both. It seems I have to reach further in the HSE to work the display and heat controls which takes my eyes of the road more. There is also more foot room behind and to the left of the brake pedal in the HSE if thats of any comfort. As a driver, I prefer the GL for seat comfort (I have contour seating) and in general all the controls seem more logical and better located, ease of reach, etc. for the driver in the GL.

Build quality is definitely nicer on the GL, tighter fits and door closure feel, finishes and materials are superior to me on the GL. Styling is a no brainer to me - the GL is beautiful for a big SUV. The HSE is boxy but in it's own way is nice to look at.

I think performance is similar but I don't drive hard and both reach highway speeds as quick as you want. The GL though as I said is quieter overall and more "solidly" attached to the road. Tires may have something to do with this too??

They are different vehicles for sure and pros/cons of each but as I told my wife I don't think the higher sticker price for the HSE is worth it at all. Hands down the GL is a more vehicle for the money. She still loves the HSE but likes the GL too, (too bad she won't be able to drive it). Time will tell on repairs and maintenance for each.

Sorry for the long ramble, just thought I'd share my observations so far.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the comparo. I've never been a fan of the styling of the RR's, and your review confirms my decision on the GL.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:35 AM

13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
Originally Posted by boxboss
Thanks for the comparo. I've never been a fan of the styling of the RR's, and your review confirms my decision on the GL.
I'm sure you will like it!
Old 04-13-2007, 03:33 AM

W221-S550
I also own a GL and a RR HSE. I would agree with almost everything you said except that the RR has better fit and finish inside. Also the RR has a more solid "feel" to it. Look at the 2nd row of seats in the GL and the RR, the GL has a lot of bare gaps and metal. However, in Vancouver, Mercedes service wins hands down.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:16 PM

GL 450
Vancouver

Sorry for hijackng the thread.

I am also from Vancouver and was curious how close to MSRP did you pay for your GL and when did you negotiate the price?

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:04 PM

W221-S550
I had a major discount because it was a demo driven by a salesman I know very well. Lets say that if I have to pay retail, I would not buy the car. But at the price I pay, I get a GL for what I would pay fro an ML