GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL450 Features

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'16 528i MSport
GL450 Features

So what features are a must for this SUV? I would figure that RSE, Premium 1, Rearview Camera, Multi-contour and HID are a must so far. Anything else?

More so, how do you get into the third row seats? I was at the dealership yesterday and couldn't figure out how to not only drop those seats and make them forward for easier entry. I was trying this form the right side so I don't know if there is anything located, like a switch or so, on the left side...

Ours would definitely be in Barolo Red, that's a gorgeous color!
Old 04-18-2007, 12:17 PM

Depends where I'm going.
IMO, the appearance package is a must. The middle row is one of the features that could use a little improvement. The right (passenger) side seat folds and tumbles forward after you pull a lever up. It is a totally manual operation with a little bit of spring assist. The left (driver's) side is not meant to tumble forward, it has a lever as well but the seat bottom flips up against the rear of the driver's seat and the seat back folds down to make a flat floor. Rear passengers are meant to enter from the right side only. Poor design IMO because it means that the driver has to walk around the car each and every time to flip the seat up for rear entry. Even GM SUVs have a power tumbling seat!
Old 04-18-2007, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
I thought that the Passenger side only entry for the GL was actually a good idea. I would rather that passengers get out on the curb side rather than the street side.

As far as the power folding GM SUV seats... The ones I was looking at in a GMC Yukon Denali at the dealership broke right in front of me!!! The seat would no longer flip on its own and the seat would not "click" into the floor. Not a good impression for me. In my opinion, this will probably be the first thing to break, it seems flimsy.

A must for me was also the 3-Zone climate control which includes extra A/C vents in the ceiling for the 2nd and 3rd row passengers. You may not need it in NJ, but here in AZ, extra A/C capacity is a must have in the summer time.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:11 PM
MKW

08 GL450
IMO, every vehicle with third row seating should have the abilty to exit either side, in case middle row release mechanism jams OR vehicle is struck on that side ( damaging middle seat ) and catches fire or something similar , with passengers in the third row now trapped, where seconds count to get out.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by MKW
IMO, every vehicle with third row seating should have the abilty to exit either side, in case middle row release mechanism jams OR vehicle is struck on that side ( damaging middle seat ) and catches fire or something similar , with passengers in the third row now trapped, where seconds count to get out.
Hmm... Good point. I guess the passenger side does kind of a fold and tumble and the driver's side just does the fold part.

My GL should be arriving in about two weeks, so I will have to play with it a bit to see what it can do.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by MKW

Good point, MKW. And, yes, GL does have an emergency release available in the driver side on 3rd row to specifically address what you have mentioned.

And, Danno, I agree with you that only passenger side egress is a good idea. I usually have kids in 3rd row and and they are raring to go by the time car stops. It is much safer to have them exit on the curb than jump in front of oncoming traffic.

Regarding tumbling of 2nd row seat on passenger side, it is well designed, IMO. You do have to pull on the handle twice - once to fold to the back and once to make it tumble. It does not require any great effort.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
The driver's side portion of the 2nd row includes the left and center seats as well, correct? That's a lot of weight on the components for constant tumbling. I also agree with the others that I'd much rather have passengers enter on the curb side than the street side. Safety is above all.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by AsianML
The driver's side portion of the 2nd row includes the left and center seats as well, correct? That's a lot of weight on the components for constant tumbling.
You are correct, AsianML, that driver's side portion of the 2nd row includes left and center seats. And it makes sense as to why you wouldn't want that much weight to be tumblable (is that even a word),
Old 04-18-2007, 09:19 PM

GL450 w/ Off-road pkg.
Two options not on your list that I couldn't live without are the Sunroof Pkg. and RearView Back-up Camera. Also, I have the Off Road Pkg. - after driving one without and one with the OR Pkg., I couldn't get a GL without it, tho' you might feel differently; the extra control over daily driving with the ADS II software makes driving the rig pleasureable - it should have been standard on the GL in NA.

I with that I'd opted for the 3-zone temp control, however, I'd really only miss it a few times when the weather gets hot in the PNW.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:43 PM

Received 155 Likes on 99 Posts
19 G550, 19 X3
Multicontour seats is my must have. The standard seats didn't offer much support. When I hit the gas hard & maybe do some reactionary manuevers, I think the off-road package may have been a good choice, but then I remind myself that this isn't a sports car.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:23 PM

2014 GL 450
For me, the Premium I package was a must have. My Ford Eddie Bauer Expedition had the memory seats & a back up alarm (Parktronic), so I got used to those features. I also got the sunroof package and the backup camera. I didn't really want the backup camera, but it came on the vehicle.

The 3-zone temp. control would be a nice feature, but I couldn't find one local that wasn't loaded up with everything else, including the DVD system (no kids, just dogs, so I don't need the rear seat DVD).
Old 04-19-2007, 12:57 AM

Depends where I'm going.
Originally Posted by Danno4x4
I thought that the Passenger side only entry for the GL was actually a good idea. I would rather that passengers get out on the curb side rather than the street side.

As far as the power folding GM SUV seats... The ones I was looking at in a GMC Yukon Denali at the dealership broke right in front of me!!! The seat would no longer flip on its own and the seat would not "click" into the floor. Not a good impression for me. In my opinion, this will probably be the first thing to break, it seems flimsy.

A must for me was also the 3-Zone climate control which includes extra A/C vents in the ceiling for the 2nd and 3rd row passengers. You may not need it in NJ, but here in AZ, extra A/C capacity is a must have in the summer time.
.... and if you never have to parallel park like me, not having the left side flip is a royal PITA. 3 zone climate control is nice to have but it's super noisy esp on auto mode where it initially cools at max fan speed.

Also, it's good to hear that the middle row power tumble broke on the Denali! I always think about whether I made the right decision when I bought the GL. I REALLY liked the '07 Escalade and I was about 2 weeks from delivery of a ESV when I bought my GL.

Last edited by 2thfixr; 04-19-2007 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
IMO, P1 is a must especially since GL is a "luxUV". I would think that Sunroof is a must too but others have convinced me that it's not.

My must have, when I was shopping were, bkup cam, wood wheel (just love the feel of those), RSE (for 2 kids), iPod (for mom and dad), HID (worth every penny), Distronic (godsend on LA freeways), real leather (for the dark wood and additional inside lighting), keyless go. Wanted 3 zone and OR also but couldn't find those with my must haves.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:45 AM
Almost a Member!

GL450
For me it was 3zone for good air in the 3rd row and the infrared glass reduces wind noise and keeps it cooler. Lighting package, the Xenons light up so much farther down the road and the ditches which in my region may help spot Bambi.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:45 AM

'16 528i MSport
Can anyone post pictures of what they mean by additional inside lighting?
Old 04-19-2007, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by DaCeptak0n
Can anyone post pictures of what they mean by additional inside lighting?
I would love to do so but am not that good a photographer. The lighting is so dim that if I use a flash, you can't see it. And, I am not good enough to take a photo without flash.

So, here's a verbal description, instead. Hopefully you can find it in your heart to forgive me The "Ambient" lighting adds very dim lighting to the driver and passenger footwells, behind the door handles, and in front cup holders. The light is the same color/warmth as the light that comes from the rearview mirror bottom and illuminates center console area anc COMAND.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:38 PM

'16 528i MSport
Originally Posted by oknish
I would love to do so but am not that good a photographer. The lighting is so dim that if I use a flash, you can't see it. And, I am not good enough to take a photo without flash.

So, here's a verbal description, instead. Hopefully you can find it in your heart to forgive me The "Ambient" lighting adds very dim lighting to the driver and passenger footwells, behind the door handles, and in front cup holders. The light is the same color/warmth as the light that comes from the rearview mirror bottom and illuminates center console area anc COMAND.
Thanks for the description and I can picture what you've manifested here. But in a summation, it is similar to that same Ambient lighting feature in the S550?
Old 04-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Thanks for the description and I can picture what you've manifested here. But in a summation, it is similar to that same Ambient lighting feature in the S550?
Sounds like it's somewhat similar to the ambient lighting in the E.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
I don't think it is quite as dramatic as in the S550 but this will give you an idea...this was shot of setting 5 which in the S is the highest setting.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:16 PM

'16 528i MSport
Yea, everytime I read or hear someone say Ambient lighting, I think of yours Nevada..

So our MDX has been deemed as totaled. What other rides could I look at besides a GL450...X5 4.8??
Old 04-19-2007, 11:26 PM

2014 GL 450
So our MDX has been deemed as totaled. What other rides could I look at besides a GL450...X5 4.8??
I looked at an X5, but if you seriously want to use the 3rd row, pass on it. It's a VERY tight squeeze and I'm not a big person. With the 3rd row down, the rear area was too small for my needs (2 large dogs). The back opens in an odd clam-shell type design which for loading dogs, I was afraid wouldn't work well.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:57 PM

Depending on what's important to you... You could look at a couple of vehicles.

For us, we considered the Q7 and the LR3 at the same time as the GL... Mainly because of the 3rd row passenger room.

The Q7 could not tow what I needed it to (only 6k lbs). And the LR3 was in serious contention, but the fuel mileage was dismal.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:34 AM
Almost a Member!

GL450
I had considered the XC90 and the Rover. The Volvo is too small, the Rover is horrible on reliability. I will seriously consider the financial stability of the company or the parent company. Both of the fore mentioned are Ford owned and may be sold to some buyout firm in the not so distant future. Reason I say this, is for the service and recall side of the equation. Recalls and highly qualified techs costs lots of money.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:07 AM

'16 528i MSport
I took a look at the Q7 but I'm still not in love with the shape or the interior design. It would need to grow on me and at this point, I dont have the time or the patience for such a venture. We are definitely in need of a 7 seater only as we were used ot it with the MDX.

My father wants the new MDX to be a serious consideration but I'm done with Acuras actually, too many in too few years (The TL is enough right now)...

The X5 4.8is is not my choice. I've never been a BMW fan, for the interior irks me! More so, the options are so overpriced....

Last edited by DaCeptak0n; 04-20-2007 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
I am with you, DaCeptak0n on Q7 styling. Our priority was also a 7 seater with enough room in the back when 3rd row is up. Only GL fit the bill. Didn't look at LR/RR.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GL450 Features