GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Will an engine tuning chip device void warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Will an engine tuning chip device void warranty?

I have been looking at putting one of those modules in my GL 320 that would change the engine programming to boost HP and torque. I am concerned that if I had any problems MBUSA would say "tough" and not honor the warranty. Can anyone speak to this?
Old 04-28-2007, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Carlsson or Kleemann tuning box

Originally Posted by oinick
I have been looking at putting one of those modules in my GL 320 that would change the engine programming to boost HP and torque. I am concerned that if I had any problems MBUSA would say "tough" and not honor the warranty. Can anyone speak to this?
Call or E-mail Mr Zorilla at Carlsson Florida and he will be able to help you. Kleemann is good too. Tuning boxes do not leave a trace like the chip which is soldered onto the ECU. When your engine is fried disconnect the box and hook up the original connections and go to MB for warranty work.

I am still waiting for the new Carlsson box to arrive for my E320 CDi.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drive your GL320 1 million miles, no more made in 2008

I had a look under my friend's GL320 CDi today and guess what? There are only 2 filters, one pre-cat, one cat but no particulate filter. The E320 Bluetec has 4 filters, the above 2 plus a third cat and particulate filter. When it comes to replacement time the Bluetec guy has to pay double the CDi guy. The 2008 owners are out of luck! They will have all the filters plus **** injection!!

I am unsure if this is only for Canadian models but judging from past MB practice they made them the same for both countries.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by harkgar
I had a look under my friend's GL320 CDi today and guess what? There are only 2 filters, one pre-cat, one cat but no particulate filter. The E320 Bluetec has 4 filters, the above 2 plus a third cat and particulate filter. When it comes to replacement time the Bluetec guy has to pay double the CDi guy. The 2008 owners are out of luck! They will have all the filters plus **** injection!!

I am unsure if this is only for Canadian models but judging from past MB practice they made them the same for both countries.
The US model GL320CDI does have a particulate filter. This quote is from the MBUSA site: "High-tech particulate filter eliminates 98 percent of particulate matter."

Also I am sure the US/Canadian models sing to a different drummer...the government regs are different in each country.

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 04-28-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
The US model GL320CDI does have a particulate filter. This quote is from the MBUSA site: "High-tech particulate filter eliminates 98 percent of particulate matter."

Also I am sure the US/Canadian models sing to a different drummer...the government regs are different in each country.
Jack:

I shall post some photos for all to see. There are definitely only 2 filters and 2mufflers under the rear bumper.

It is possible that the second filter is the particulate filter. If so, then there is only one catalytic converter located immediately after the turbo. Did you look under your car?

Let us know.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jack:

I shall post some photos for all to see. There are definitely only 2 filters and 2mufflers under the rear bumper.

It is possible that the second filter is the particulate filter. If so, then there is only one catalytic converter located immediately after the turbo. Did you look under your car?

Let us know.
If I could look under my GL I would be one happy camper...it is still in Vance, Alabama being readied for shipment...I hope...:-)

All I am saying harkgar is that there is a particulate filter in the US model and where it is located I have no idea. Whether the Canadian version has the particulate filter (or is even required) I don't know.

This quote is from the MB Canada site: "The GL320 CDI's standard equipment diesel particulate filter offers clean burning and environmentally friendly diesel efficiency, so no matter where you go you can do so in style and good conscience." So the Canadian model does have the filter.

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 04-28-2007 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Particulate Filter

Here is the MB explanation of the Particulate Filter and how it works. This article refers to EU countries using it but it is now used in the US versions. Still doens't mention the location but apparently it is integrated into the exhaust system near the cats.

To lower exhaust emissions even further, Mercedes-Benz combines the new sixcylinder
engine with a maintenance-free particulate filter system as standard for
the German, Austrian, Swiss and Dutch markets, producing a further significant
reduction in particulate emissions. The filter purges itself without the use of
additives and remains effective over a very high operating mileage.
Like the catalytic converters, the diesel particulate filter features numerous
longitudinal, rectangular ducts. In contrast to the catalytic converter ducts, these
are however closed at the ends so that the incoming exhaust gases are obliged to
find their way through the porous walls between the ducts. In doing so the
particulates carried in the exhaust gas accumulate in the filter and are retained by
the filter material.
As only a limited quantity of these tiny carbon particles can be taken up, the
particulate filter needs to be purged from time to time. The necessary exhaust
temperature of more than 550 degrees Celsius is achieved by heating the stream
of exhaust gases at higher engine speeds, or by adjusting various engine
functions to suit the pressure and temperature of the exhaust gases at the
particulate filter. The variable, third-generation common-rail technology
considerably assists this process, for depending on the engine operating status
and filter condition it allows brief post-injections of fuel for specific increases in
the exhaust gas temperature. As a result the particulates accumulating in the
filter are burned off in a controlled manner, and unnoticed by the driver or other
road users.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:24 AM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Where did you get the reference to no more GL 320s for 2008? I have not heard that. I would be surprised if MBUSA did not want to make more since they have proved so popular and hard to get. In fact, the whole idea of a big SUV with a small but powerful and efficient diesel engine is exactly what got me to look at the GL 320 in the first place. It is good for everyday around driving, but it is great for use as a road vehicle, which is my primary use for it.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Where did you get the reference to no more GL 320s for 2008? I have not heard that. I would be surprised if MBUSA did not want to make more since they have proved so popular and hard to get. In fact, the whole idea of a big SUV with a small but powerful and efficient diesel engine is exactly what got me to look at the GL 320 in the first place. It is good for everyday around driving, but it is great for use as a road vehicle, which is my primary use for it.
I think what he is saying it that the 320CDI engine will no longer be available once the Bluetec engine is approved for all 50 state use.

He has a problem with the environmental controls on the new V6 diesels and that is why he bought the last of the straight 6 models. He feels the Bluetec will have problems with all the cats and UREA system.

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 04-28-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:47 AM

MBs
Hey guys, here's the GL320 CDI exhaust system from MBUSA's electronic parts catalog. From the OM642 it goes first into the close coupled oxicat number 55 in the picture, then the renewable particle filter labelled 60 in the picture, then through the pipes towards the rear mufflers, one on the left and one on the right side.

PS. By the way, subscribing to the EPC is quite inexpensive, only $20 for a year or so. http://epc.startekinfo.com
Attached Thumbnails Will an engine tuning chip device void warranty?-gl320cdi_exhaust1.jpg   Will an engine tuning chip device void warranty?-gl320cdi_exhaust2.jpg  
Old 04-28-2007, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfgang
Hey guys, here's the GL320 CDI exhaust system from MBUSA's electronic parts catalog. From the OM642 it goes first into the close coupled oxicat number 55 in the picture, then the renewable particle filter labelled 60 in the picture, then through the pipes towards the rear mufflers, one on the left and one on the right side.

PS. By the way, subscribing to the EPC is quite inexpensive, only $20 for a year or so. http://epc.startekinfo.com
Thanks Wolfgang for clearing that up for us...

I will definitely look into subscribing to the EPC.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just read that they don't support Mac's. It may support Tiger 10.2 or later but must run under IE and is iffy when done that way.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

this is what I saw

Wolfgang,

55 is the pre-cat and 60 is the cat. There is no particulate filter. Visit MBUSA website and you will find a diagram of the Bluetec system. Once I have re-sized the photos they will appear on this board.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is from the MBUSA site diesel page and this is a description of the 2007 V6 E320 Bluetec engine used in US cars. The GL320 does not use the Bluetec system and incorporates a Particulate Filter to meet the standards of 48 states. When the Bluetec AdBlue (UREA) exhaust system is approved by the US EPA, then and only then will it be legal in all 50 states and the GL will be called the GL320 Bluetec instead of the GL320CDI.

"The E320 BLUETEC incorporates four after-treatment units in the exhaust stream - an oxidizing catalytic converter, a particulate filter, an advanced "denox" storage converter, and a SCR catalytic converter.

A BLUETEC Module for the Future - AdBlue

To meet even more stringent emission requirements the a BLUETEC system could be equipped with another module - AdBlue injection. A water-based urea solution, AdBlue is carried in its own small tank and metered into the exhaust in minute quantities, so small that the tank only needs to be refilled during routine scheduled maintenance. When AdBlue is injected into pre-cleaned exhaust gas, ammonia (NH3) is released, converting nitrogen oxides into harmless nitrogen (and water) in the downstream SCR catalytic converter. Called SCR, for selective catalytic reduction, this process creates the most effective method of exhaust gas after-treatment currently available.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

here are the re-sized photos

Only 2 filters. Compared these photos with the MBUSA Bluetec diagrams and you can see that the first filter is the pre-cat and the second one the cat.

After the second filter there are only 2 mufflers under the rear bumpers. No particulate filter and no resonators.

I suspect that Nevada Jack's truck on order may be a 2007.5 with a particulate filter or is there such a thing? Keep us updated.
Attached Thumbnails Will an engine tuning chip device void warranty?-img_0249-.jpg   Will an engine tuning chip device void warranty?-img_0250-.jpg  
Old 04-29-2007, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Only 2 filters. Compared these photos with the MBUSA Bluetec diagrams and you can see that the first filter is the pre-cat and the second one the cat.

After the second filter there are only 2 mufflers under the rear bumpers. No particulate filter and no resonators.

I suspect that Nevada Jack's truck on order may be a 2007.5 with a particulate filter or is there such a thing? Keep us updated.
The V6 CDI has had a particulate filter since it's introduction in the US since it was required to meet the EPA clean air standards. This includes the V6 CDI engines in the ML and R class also. Prior to the V6, I don't think the straight 6 had a particulate filter.

The diagram of the 2006 European E320 Bluetec on the MBUSA site specifically shows a Particulate Filter as part of the exhaust system. Since this drawing is of a 2006 EU system, I suspect that it is the same system released as a 2007 E320 Bluetec in the US.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:50 AM

MBs
What you call the second filter is the particle filter as NevadaJack has posted. Here's another picture from the EPC including the part numbers and names for part 60. In the USA with code 494 the GL320CDI comes with code 474, which means part 60 is a particle filter and not a muffler.

Great photos BTW.
Attached Thumbnails Will an engine tuning chip device void warranty?-gl320cdi_particle_filter.jpg  
Old 04-29-2007, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Keep us updated Jack

The V6 CDI has had a particulate filter since it's introduction in the US since it was required to meet the EPA clean air standards. This includes the V6 CDI engines in the ML and R class also. Prior to the V6, I don't think the straight 6 had a particulate filter.

The diagram of the 2006 European E320 Bluetec on the MBUSA site specifically shows a Particulate Filter as part of the exhaust system. Since this drawing is of a 2006 EU system, I suspect that it is the same system released as a 2007 E320 Bluetec in the US.
Jack:

Would you confirm if your new truck exhaust system looks the same as my friend's 2007? My friend took delivery of his in February 2007 so the car was built in 2006.

Either way you definitely will not have AdBlue which is a great advantage over the 2008s.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jack:

Would you confirm if your new truck exhaust system looks the same as my friend's 2007? My friend took delivery of his in February 2007 so the car was built in 2006.

Either way you definitely will not have AdBlue which is a great advantage over the 2008s.
I will be happy to do that when I take delivery in about two weeks or so.

There will definitely be no AdBlue situation with the CDI configuration.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:32 PM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
What I was interested in was a tuning chip, but somehow you all started talking about

My original question was about a chips to change the engine programming to promote better horsepower and torque. Can anyone help? I am concerned about voiding my warranty if I put one of these chips in my GL 320. Most of the replies have been about emissions hardware...
Old 04-29-2007, 09:39 PM

3/30/07: B/B GL450 01 319 323 324 334 396 550
Just read that they don't support Mac's. It may support Tiger 10.2 or later but must run under IE and is iffy when done that way.
Jack - did you check the FAQ?
Q5 : I have an Apple or Linux or Unix computer, can I use EPCnet Online?
A5 : We do not officially support Apple or Linux or Unix computers. We have performed limited testing and found that a newer Mac running OS 10.2 and Internet Explorer allowed EPCnet to open and run under internet Explorer, with some minor errors, however no guarantees of performance or stability are given. We have not tested with Linux or Unix.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:07 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
I do believe all diesels since 87 have had the particulate filter (remember 87 was the last year for a while???)-it was because the particulate filters they first put on SUCKED and didn't last 30k miles.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Abscam
Jack - did you check the FAQ?
Q5 : I have an Apple or Linux or Unix computer, can I use EPCnet Online?
A5 : We do not officially support Apple or Linux or Unix computers. We have performed limited testing and found that a newer Mac running OS 10.2 and Internet Explorer allowed EPCnet to open and run under internet Explorer, with some minor errors, however no guarantees of performance or stability are given. We have not tested with Linux or Unix.
Yes, I did read the FAQ which led me to post. There is no IE for Mac now that MS decided to cease support and trying to use an older version is just not worth the effort. Will have to depend on Wolfgang to straighten us out...:-)
Old 04-30-2007, 01:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My original question was about a chips to change the engine programming to promote better horsepower and torque. Can anyone help? I am concerned about voiding my warranty if I put one of these chips in my GL 320. Most of the replies have been about emissions hardware...
The answer to your question is "yes". The law says that a mod cannot effect warranty coverage unless it proximal to the effected part. For example, an exhaust mod cannot be blamed for a suspension issue. The corollary is that an engine mod (chip) can be blamed for engine issues and void your warranty coverage for the engine/drivetrain but not other components.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:01 PM

'07 GL450, '05 Accord Hybrid, '95 APU 6spd Supra
The answer to your question is "yes". The law says that a mod cannot effect warranty coverage unless it proximal to the effected part. For example, an exhaust mod cannot be blamed for a suspension issue. The corollary is that an engine mod (chip) can be blamed for engine issues and void your warranty coverage for the engine/drivetrain but not other components.
What is stated above is correct. The main burden for dealers is to prove that the mods done on the vehicle directly caused the malfunction. That is why many mods these days are easily removable leaving no trace of their presence. What type of module is it? Is it an actual chip that you have to install in the vehicle's ecu or is it a piggyback system that plugs into either your OBD2 port or integrated with your ecu trough harnesses? A piggyback system is the way to go, if the car breaks, remove the piggyback then go to the shop.