GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Lexus gone and GL450 in June

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 12:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
Lexus gone and GL450 in June

I just traded my Lexus GX470 and ordered a GL450 in Barolo Red for late June delivery. The build date is June 20 and my dealer is hoping to deliver the GL450 by end of June. Here is the spec for my new family hauler.

Barolo Red
Black interior
P1 premium package
Appearance package
Rearview camera
Lighting package
Sunroof package
Voice control
3-zone climate control
Running board
Keyless go

I didn't order the heating package because I don't need heated rearseat(still have baby seats) and steering wheel but I do like the heated washer. I just don't feel like paying for things I don't need. I hope I am not going to regret this decision next winter.

After 1.5 year with Lexus I am glad to be back in a MB SUV. I needed more room, better 3rd row seats and better traction in snowy condition.

John
Old 04-30-2007, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats! Enjoy the new ride whe she comes....
Old 04-30-2007, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
get the heating package, if you think you are going to regret it then you will.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by Kar don
get the heating package, if you think you are going to regret it then you will.

Absolutely...........!
Old 04-30-2007, 07:56 PM

3 Porsche rotation
Thanks guys. For those of you without heating package in the northern states, how well does the normal washer system work in cold and snowy weather?

John
Old 04-30-2007, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
No problemo

Originally Posted by JohnAMG
Thanks guys. For those of you without heating package in the northern states, how well does the normal washer system work in cold and snowy weather?

John
I sometimes keep both the E320 CDi and other vehicles out overnight in winter and the only drawback is freezing my butt off. In Toronto it is sometimes -20 to -40 degrees CENTIGRADE in February. The windshield and windows will freeze up no matter what package you have and slow defrosting is needed. In the case of freeze-thaw cycles with freezing rain no winter package can save you.

A block heater is essential for a diesel parked outdoors. MB has heated front seats as standard, I think and in the 2007 E series heated steering wheels are standard too. The heaters are pretty efficient.

The best solution is to keep your truck in the garage.

Do you know the latest Lexus (Landcruiser equivalent) is equipped with the Tundra V-8 with approximately 380 bhp?
Old 05-01-2007, 01:12 AM

3 Porsche rotation
Originally Posted by harkgar
I sometimes keep both the E320 CDi and other vehicles out overnight in winter and the only drawback is freezing my butt off. In Toronto it is sometimes -20 to -40 degrees CENTIGRADE in February. The windshield and windows will freeze up no matter what package you have and slow defrosting is needed. In the case of freeze-thaw cycles with freezing rain no winter package can save you.

A block heater is essential for a diesel parked outdoors. MB has heated front seats as standard, I think and in the 2007 E series heated steering wheels are standard too. The heaters are pretty efficient.

The best solution is to keep your truck in the garage.

Do you know the latest Lexus (Landcruiser equivalent) is equipped with the Tundra V-8 with approximately 380 bhp?

I do keep all my cars/truck in the garage all year long, and the only time it is outside overnight is when I am traveliing or in Toronto visiting the in-laws I am done with Lexus. My GX470 was a very nice SUV but just not that great in snow. I also dislike NAV and phonebook lock-out while the SUV is in motion. I have gotten used to the dash display in MB for years and just missed not having the dash display in the Lexus. One major advantage of the Lexus is its resale value which I can never pull off with a Mercedes.

John
Old 05-11-2007, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 E55 Brilliant Silver / Charcoal
Ah, a kindred spirit. We're also an E55 / GL 450 family ... Toronto...in laws. Now I'm getting worried that's waaay too familiar.

We just swapped our GX470 for a GL as well. Obsidian on Black, just about the same option list but also the rear DVD. The new one is quite nice and met our needs.

The difference between the GX and the GL is amazing. I think you'll really like it. In the mountains out west, it gets plenty cold, but we've not had real problems with a cold steering wheel, things warm up so fast.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by JohnAMG
I just traded my Lexus GX470 and ordered a GL450 in Barolo Red for late June delivery. The build date is June 20 and my dealer is hoping to deliver the GL450 by end of June. Here is the spec for my new family hauler.
John,

I'm selling my '99 LX470 after purchasing a 2007 GL320 CDI. Mine's black on tan. I've so far found the fit-and-finish of the Mercedes to be comparable to the Lexus, although I'm dealing with what appears to be a turbo problem after only 1300 miles. The LX has 217,000+ miles on it right now, and the air suspension - original - is on death watch. You will enjoy the ride of the Mercedes, although you might find the driving position a little low (I'm getting used to it). Controllability, particularly in turns, is so German! (Read: "Satisfyingly level and tight.")

Don't forget to post pictures of the little beauty when she arrives!

Steve
Old 05-14-2007, 10:15 PM

3 Porsche rotation
Boy, it takes some getting use to not having a SUV. We can't wait for our GL450 in the end of June. I just need to hang in there a little longer.

John