GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Screwed up Steering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Screwed up Steering

Took the GL450 in for it's A service, had some other items addresed at the time as well as a Wheel Alignment. Returned to get the car when it was ready 5 days later. Drove it away, found the alignment was no better than before. They had a technician drive with me and he concurred with the pulling. Left the car there for them to redo.

They say the alignment was done properly, and were checking the tires. They found lateral pulling on the front tirees so they rotated them. They told me this fixed the problem, however they said that while they were driving it they heard a cluck noise from steering.

They replaced steering column, drove it and still heard noise. They put in some listening gear and said they isolated the noise to the steering coupler. It was broken and they replaced it. Apparently they have had 4 or so Gl's with broken steering couplers.

Now upon havingthe car back, I still have the car pulling to the right. The tires now also seem to be noisier, get a Howling from them.

Worst part is I have steering from a 1970's Pinto now. There is now play / slop in the steering. And I also have at steering center, a kind on notch you can feel in the steering mechanism. Like a hump you have to go over. What did they do? Over tighten it. Or just in general totally screw it over?

They want it back to look at it of course. Anyone else have steering coupler broken? What about tire and alignment problems?
Old 05-01-2007, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have any specific answers to your problems, but I wanted to point out that I noticed the same problem when I test drove a GL 320, 450 and the ML 350. All the above cars seem to pull to the right even on the flattest roads. All the trucks were brand new with less than 30 miles.

This is something that really bothered me and this isn't very reassuring news.

Best of luck...

Chris
Old 05-03-2007, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
I have a GL450 now with 1300 miles. Mine "drifts" slightly to the right on flat roads but does pull a little more on crowned highways. Not really that bad overall but had it in yesterday for first service. They want do a four wheel alignment at 6500 tire rotation as tech wants to see if any telltale tire wear. Otherwise steering force and feedback seem "normal" as I asked while waiting to take one on the lot for a test drive for comparison and that one felt identical but did not seem to drift. Tech also said it may be rear alignment causing problem and nothing to with steering or front end???? Good luck with yours!