GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Screaming For Better Nav System!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS55, 07 GL450, 07 GMC Yukon, 06 Pontiac Vibe
Screaming For Better Nav System!!!

My girlfriend has a '07 GMC Yukon. Of course when it comes to ride, handling, wind noise, etc. there is no comparison to the GL. But I find myself jumping in the Yukon from time to time because the awesome Nav. Sys. It has the touch screen, with CD, DVD, MP3, Navigaton, XM-Sat, On-Star, built in phone, and radio all linked together through simple voice activation commands. You can transition from one thing to another without ever taking your eyes off of the road. It is awesome.

Everytime I get back in the GL I find myself always touching the screen, and of course nothing happens but a finger print left behind. I really wish MB would contract with the people that GM or Acura use to provide their integrated systems. They are sweet.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
It is what it is, why cry/

Originally Posted by EFant
My girlfriend has a '07 GMC Yukon. Of course when it comes to ride, handling, wind noise, etc. there is no comparison to the GL. But I find myself jumping in the Yukon from time to time because the awesome Nav. Sys. It has the touch screen, with CD, DVD, MP3, Navigaton, XM-Sat, On-Star, built in phone, and radio all linked together through simple voice activation commands. You can transition from one thing to another without ever taking your eyes off of the road. It is awesome.

Everytime I get back in the GL I find myself always touching the screen, and of course nothing happens but a finger print left behind. I really wish MB would contract with the people that GM or Acura use to provide their integrated systems. They are sweet.
Mercedes Benz is a world wide provider, they are using Mapteq (world wide data base), based on the world wide demand, that is why it seems here in the US it is a bit lacking compared to GM and Acura. Mercedes just has more markets to satisfy with one product.
I buy a new GM truck every year and the Electronic package is great. The nav has been dumbed down to the point a blond can use it. Additionally has all the same features that MB Command & lingtronic offer (XM=SIRI). But for the touch screen. I personally don't care for, touch screens, they leave prints and requires you to look at screen and the age old problem tactile feel is non existent.
As far as contracting with with the people that GM and Acura use. I think MB will stick with Microsoft for some time.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:09 PM

2014 GL 450
I just wish it could find my house! My house has been built for 5 years and the Nav system says it's in a "secured area" and that I need access. Nope...wide open road where I live. I have a Garmin Nuvi that could at least find my house.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:19 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
I agree with all your points, it is the worst that I have used too. I've ranted about it before in these forums. Coming from a Toyota system was very hard.

I overlook the faults though b/c the GL is a great drive. I'll be the first in line for another system if MB ever upgrades these units.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Using the Lexus system

I've had four Nav systems I've used regularly (now that I have my GL); An Alpine DVD Nav, an AVIC Z1, the Lexus Nav and the MB Nav. Lexus (Toyota) has the most intuitive interface, and I agree there's nothing like touching the keys on the keyboard for putting in addresses. Coverage is another matter, and really is up to each individual builder what map set they use (I've seen some that have what amounts to half a dirt trail across the Pima Reservation and ends up at an abandoned 100 feet of road in the city listed as a useable road in a friend's car) and updating them sometimes seems like an afterthought.

But the biggest problem I've had is with the Avic, and it's with the touch screen. I go to hang up the hands-free (which has spotty operation at best) and end up touching somewhere else somehow. So not only does my call not hang up, suddenly I'm not looking at my route any more! It gets covered with gooey fingerprints if my wife has makeup on her fingers at all (or food or dog grooming stuff or hairspray or ...).

As for tactile feel, the Alpine has a system it uses with its tilt motor that gives one a sense of actually pushing a button. I've tried it out and its really good!

In closing, my wife's named her Nav systems. In the Ford, it was Ingrid. In my Lexus with the AVIC it was B*tchin' Betty (I'm a pilot). In her RX it's Tokyo Rose. I don't know what it's going to be in the GL. Maybe Ellen? (She sounds just a little butch, you know.)

S
Old 05-16-2007, 07:46 PM

I feel very strongly the same way. If you say that they have a much broader market to care about. I will tell you that there is no one size fits all and MB must tailor their products to specified market. If MB keep ignoring this kind of visible values, I am sure they will lose more market shares because I know a lot of people going away because they can find better electronic gadgets from Lexus and BMW or even infiniti (myself almost got a BMW 335i (2008 model) a couple weeks ago if they agreed on my price). I love both MB enterior and interior. They are very stylish and confortable/luxury feels but the electronic part is at least a year or two behind Lexus and BMW. I wish they can make a more complete product!

Old 05-16-2007, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by hiddenvalue
I feel very strongly the same way. If you say that they have a much broader market to care about. I will tell you that there is no one size fits all and MB must tailor their products to specified market. If MB keep ignoring this kind of visible values, I am sure they will lose more market shares because I know a lot of people going away because they can find better electronic gadgets from Lexus and BMW or even infiniti (myself almost got a BMW 335i (2008 model) a couple weeks ago if they agreed on my price). I love both MB enterior and interior. They are very stylish and confortable/luxury feels but the electronic part is at least a year or two behind Lexus and BMW. I wish they can make a more complete product!

Infinity and BMW use the same as Mercedes, Mapteq additionally
you have failed to note the most acclaimed is Acura.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hiddenvalue
but the electronic part is at least a year or two behind Lexus and BMW.
2007 GL450
2007 E350
The number one complaint from owners on my BMW 6 series board is the implementation of the electronics. BMW's iDrive, while not as bad as auto reviewers claim, lags way behind both Lexus' and MB's versions. Not so much usability as bugs, slowness, and never ending upgrades. I bought my 645 two years ago with version 16.0 - versions 25.0 and 25.01 were released last month.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:44 AM

06 CLS55, 07 GL450, 07 GMC Yukon, 06 Pontiac Vibe
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
So which is the best, Toyota or Honda? I absolutely loved the one in my Acura. Particularly when you could tell it to raise and lower the passenger side temperature and find "nearest chineese restaurant" and the way the little lady seemed to almost have a conversation with you!

Come on MB, step it up!!!
Old 05-17-2007, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Yacht Master

infiniti got 3D view and BMW has two screens and the map is always on. Yes, they might all use the same provider but subscribe to different products and apparently MB subscribed the cheapest.

My mistake, I tested drive a BMW 2008 535i. And there is one more thing I think better than MB is the bluetooth phone. After I got in the car, it detected my cellphone and load my address book onto the screen. In MB, I had to manually set it up the first time. And also, the voice control, auto mirror fold and leather seats are included in the premium package. All these little things help sell!!!

Someone might question me why I didn't get a BMW instead of getting another MB. Here are the reasons:

1. Price - we did not agree on the price. As I said I would have gotten a BMW if the price was right.
2. My wife likes MB brand.

2007 GL450
2007 E350

Last edited by hiddenvalue; 05-17-2007 at 12:28 PM.