GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Torn between GL 450 and X5 4.8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 10:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 300
Torn between GL 450 and X5 4.8

I am shopping for an X5 4.8 vs GL 450 for my wife. I have two kids 7 and 4 y/o and although I can make it without the 3rd row, I think it will be convenient and I am afraid in a couple of years I will return for a vehicle with 3rd row if I do not do it now, so I eliminated the ML as an option. My wife did not like the R series because it is too long and I think she would like the X5 much more than the GL due to the size. I have seen them both. I like how the X5 drives, but it is a few G's more expensive than a similarly equipped GL even adjusted for maintenance costs and the 3rd row will be usable for my young kids and their friends for years to come, but I have to admit that third row on the X5 is a joke. GL has of course more space. They are about the same on MPG (16 X5 vs 15 GL combined average). One thing strongly swaying me towards the GL is the fact that I think I can get a deal with 3 to 3.5k off and it appears they are not discounting the X5 much. If they gave me 3.5k off on the X5, it could sway me in that direction. What are your thoughts? Thanks!
Old 06-14-2007, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The GL has more room and that comes in handy with a family. The other difference is the sporty appeal of a BMW that a GL does not have. If MPG is a concern consider the GL 320 CDI. An option BMW or any other luxury SUV does not offer. My inital in town mpg is around 18.5 with A GL 320 CDI.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:22 AM

2014 GL 450
I looked at the X5 as well. The 3rd row is a joke. Only a small child could sit back there & there is virtually NO room behind the 3rd row when it is up. Even with the 3rd row down, there isn't much room back there. I have 2 large dogs, so space with the 3rd row down was my driving factor. I had a Ford Expedition, so I was used to a lot of room with the 3rd row down. The GL has as much room length-wise as the Expedition, although not quite as wide.

Another factor for me was that I see X5's everywhere; GL's I hardly see. I don't like driving a common vehicle -- I'd rather have something a little more unique.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:24 AM

GLC 300
The GL 320 is still a back in the mind consideration, but after feeling the R320 CDI power and with my wife's car being now a Cadillac SRX V8, I can hear myself complaining about the lack of punch of the diesel. I wish I could live with the diesel power and save some money on gas, but the V8 on the GL is way too tempting.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1992 500E, 2006 E500, 2007 GL 450
I owned a 2003 X5 4.4 and loved it-when I gave it to my daughter, I test drove X5 4.8 and GL 450 back to back. My test drives included the same bumpy road. The GL felt like a sedan the X5 like a buckboard. My buddy who rode shot gun through the test drives said the X5, with its abrupt body movements was making him car sick. The X5 handled better than the GL and might have been my choice. However, my wife is the principal driver of the truck and when I drive it I usually have passengers. For her sake and for the comfort of passengers I chose the GL. I don't regret it.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:29 PM

13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
Originally Posted by nantucketsleigh
I owned a 2003 X5 4.4 and loved it-when I gave it to my daughter, I test drove X5 4.8 and GL 450 back to back. My test drives included the same bumpy road. The GL felt like a sedan the X5 like a buckboard. My buddy who rode shot gun through the test drives said the X5, with its abrupt body movements was making him car sick. The X5 handled better than the GL and might have been my choice. However, my wife is the principal driver of the truck and when I drive it I usually have passengers. For her sake and for the comfort of passengers I chose the GL. I don't regret it.
I feel the same way. I used my partners X5once when my Escalade was in the shop. I couldn't get out of it fast enough after the choppy ride home. However, the braking and handling are superb in the X5 but my stomache can't take the chop of that stiff short wheelbase. The GL is a luxury ride with still a lot of road connection. IMO also there is no comparison between the interiors. Get the GL!
Old 06-14-2007, 01:50 PM

2007 R320
Originally Posted by neuromb
One thing strongly swaying me towards the GL is the fact that I think I can get a deal with 3 to 3.5k off and it appears they are not discounting the X5 much. If they gave me 3.5k off on the X5, it could sway me in that direction. What are your thoughts? Thanks!
As a non-GL owner (I drive an R320) and in the VA, MD, DC Area, I can only say that you should expect to negotiate and obtain 7-10 % off from MSRP on a well-equipped GL 450, not just $3.5K (which is less than 5% off, you can do better). As for BMW X5, you should aim for slightly over invoice for well equipped X5 V8. I say this based on my many dealers visits (MB and BMW) and test drives in Jan and Feb this year in VA and MD, which I ended up with a pretty loaded R320 and got more than 15% off from MSRP.

Visit the dealers, take the test drives (different models, V6, V8, gas and diesel engines). Come back for more test drives at dealers that you like more, then negotiate for best prices. Dont expect dealers to give you their best price on the 1st or 2nd visit. For me, it's the 3rd or 4th visit that got me the best deal.

More trips and multiple test drives will help you become more decisive on the models choice. The incentives/discounts are less if you order and not buy one from the dealer's lot.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
My $0.02 here - GL is more of a LuxUV and has good road manners. X5 is a driver's car and has excellent road manners.

So, for my family, I got the GL. When I need a daily driver for myself, it will be a BMW.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:56 PM

NJ Edison, ACURA TL , GL450
Or

I don't have the off road package on mine but I heard that off road pack on GL, you could choose from mushy to sports.. just by flick of a switch.
If you were to go X5 route, I woould suggest don't even buy the 3rd row option. That is a 1500.00 straight down the drain, unless you want to torture your kids or anyone you hate the most
Old 06-14-2007, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
I can hear myself complaining about the lack of punch of the diesel.
Really?

The GL320CDI has 398 lb-ft torque @ 1,400 - 2,800 rpm

The GL450 has 339 lb-ft torque @ 3,000 rpm

The X5 4.8 has 350/3400-3800 lb-ft torque

The BMW is actually a few pounds heavier than the GL.

Given the BMW's significantly higher rpm torque peak, I suspect it takes on the character of "gutless wonder" as do so many BMWs unless really rung out.

Think you're guessing wrong.

But, if you wait a year, you can have a diesel BMW.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by lkchris
Really?

The GL320CDI has 398 lb-ft torque @ 1,400 - 2,800 rpm

The GL450 has 339 lb-ft torque @ 3,000 rpm

The X5 4.8 has 350/3400-3800 lb-ft torque

The BMW is actually a few pounds heavier than the GL.

Given the BMW's significantly higher rpm torque peak, I suspect it takes on the character of "gutless wonder" as do so many BMWs unless really rung out.

Think you're guessing wrong.

But, if you wait a year, you can have a diesel BMW.
You are right, BMW's do excell in the 4.5k+ rpm range, but to call them "gutless wonders" is something I take issue with.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
I am shopping for an X5 4.8 vs GL 450 for my wife. I have two kids 7 and 4 y/o and although I can make it without the 3rd row, I think it will be convenient and I am afraid in a couple of years I will return for a vehicle with 3rd row if I do not do it now, so I eliminated the ML as an option. What are your thoughts? Thanks!
It all depends on how you will use the vehicle in your life. I for one, couldn't imagine the BMW and we only have 1 kid. I checked it out and it has very little cargo space, even with the 3rd row down. However, if you don't use the vehicle other than toting the kids to school, after school activities, and shopping, and none of your children's friends ever want to ride with them (yeah right), then the BMW would be just fine. And, if you ever decide (or surprise) to have another child, then you'll be sick you didn't choose the GL.

Good Luck!
Old 06-14-2007, 10:44 PM

I had an SRX prior to my GL450 and I can say that either the X5 or the GL will be head and shoulders above the SRX. I grew to despise that car each day. I am also a BMW fan and would have liked the X5 4.8 to be the SRX replacement - but it wasn't. The styling of the new X5 is much better than the old version, but it still isn't all that pleasing to my eye. The X5 will exceed the GL in handling, but in so many other categories (IMO) the GL is a clear winner.

I had Expeditions prior to the SRX and the interior space in the GL is much more Expi like than the X5. The ride of the GL will be smoother than the X5, but less sporty. If I want sporty, I have other Bimmers for that.

All things considered, the GL was the winner for me. It provided more of what I was looking for than the X5. Considering, IIRC, this will be your wife's daily driver, I really think she will prefer the GL.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:36 PM

Interesting thread

Haven't seen the towing capacity difference mentioned. This may not be an issue for you, but I believe the GL is ~7400 lb and the X5 is only ~5500 lb. Confirm the specs if it matters to you.

Don't own either truck yet (still deciding; also considering Infiniti QX56), so do not have personal knowledge of driving experience, ride, etc. That said, I believe previous posts are accurate. Have a vintage M6 that provides the "Ultimate Driving" experience, so figure I do not require the subtle improvements in handling in a utility vehicle, particularly if ride quality is compromised. Agree with post above that this is best determined by multiple test drives.

Only knock from my wife on the GL is the cargo area width. haven't seen this really mentioned before. Note we have a specific requirement to fit two dog crates side by side with seating for 4 adults, and the GL looks too narrow for this application. Surprisingly to us, the R looks wide enough, but no tow rating. I think the X5 was fractions of an inch wider so might fit on better on width, but the load area is so short as to make it essentially useless to us without the second row seat folded down and no passenger seating.

Only reason I could see for bothering with the BMW third row seat is that the second row seat slides fore-aft if equipped with the third row. Figured this would offer a longer load floor when required, and might fit the bill for us. Other than this feature, the third row is completely useless. It was absolutely hilarious at the local unveiling of the new X5 to watch several adults try and fit into the thing; no one in attendance could see any merit in this deal as a seat., and these were invited BMW types that where presumably waiting for this feature.

Styling of the two vehicles is, of course, personal preference. I give interior & exterior nod to BMW, but both are extremely handsome and functional/purposeful designs.

Stu
'87 M6
'92 Ford van for dogs and trailer
Considering a new tow vehicle
Calgary
Old 06-15-2007, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
We had the prior generation X5 4.4i w/ the 19" sport wheels and package. since we had the first year, we also experienced lots of electronic issues. although i thought it looked great, i thought the ride was much too rough. perhaps it's a great driver for SUV on smooth track, but that's not what most people are driving on...usually rough/bumpy pavements. i've heard that the I6 guys w/ smaller wheels had smoother rides, and the newer generation is better. another thing, too much torque in first gear meant it was difficult to accelerate from stop smoothly. it might be fun if solo, but if trying to deal w/ stop/go traffic it really wasn't a good driver. for that situation, i think the lexus suv's were the smoothest. my $.02.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:06 AM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by stugilmour
Only knock from my wife on the GL is the cargo area width. haven't seen this really mentioned before. Note we have a specific requirement to fit two dog crates side by side with seating for 4 adults, and the GL looks too narrow for this application.
I can get a large Vari-Kennel in the back with the 3rd row down, no problem. You could probably get 2 in there. I use the cargo net that came with my GL and have my 2 Labs ride in the back behind the net. I've had the crate with one dog inside & 1 Lab loose in the back (behind the cargo net) with no issues regarding space. I've also had 3 Labs loose in the back (behind the cargo net) and plenty of room for them. I can measure the width of my GL for you, if that would help with the decision. I had a 2005 Expedition before and while the GL isn't quite as wide, the rear cargo area with the 3rd row down, is just as deep as my Expedition.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Interesting thread. The GL450 is a great vehicle and the only SUV I would buy when I have four kids.

However, since you only have two (and even if you have a third) my choice would be a Range Rover Sport Supercharged or the new Cayenne S. Both are rapid, safe and wide enough to comfortably seat five. They ride better than the X5, handle just as well and, in my opinion, are more stylish.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB
I can get a large Vari-Kennel in the back with the 3rd row down, no problem. You could probably get 2 in there. I use the cargo net that came with my GL and have my 2 Labs ride in the back behind the net. I've had the crate with one dog inside & 1 Lab loose in the back (behind the cargo net) with no issues regarding space. I've also had 3 Labs loose in the back (behind the cargo net) and plenty of room for them. I can measure the width of my GL for you, if that would help with the decision. I had a 2005 Expedition before and while the GL isn't quite as wide, the rear cargo area with the 3rd row down, is just as deep as my Expedition.
Jen, thanks very much for the real world experience of transporting your dogs; very helpful. Interesting to hear the real world loading of the GL is similar to the Expedition. I am OK with the net restraint method, but I have been provided the "design brief" that any new vehicle will fit two kennel's side by side. I am hoping the GL will do this 'cus I really like the truck and figure the much anticipated V8 diesel would make a truly awesome tow vehicle.

We have English Springer Spaniels, and I used to own a Lab as well. Great dogs! We were down in the LA area last fall for the ESS Nationals and enjoyed ourselves immensely. Actually, towing a 5000 lb trailer from Calgary to LA is one of the main reasons we are seriously considering a tow vehicle upgrade. Nothing like crossing the Great Divide several times to care about torque!

As the wife and her sisters breed the dogs and are very active in the show world and various dog performance events, carrying capacity of the dog crates is a big issue for us. We use 300 size Furrarri's or 300 size Vari's for the girls, and occasionally a 400 for the boy or two girls on short in-town trips. I am guessing the 300 size is what you mean by a "large" size, with 400 being considered "extra large".

Can you fit the two 300 Vari's side by side in the back? I am sure two 400's will not comfortably fit, but two 300's might fill the bill for us. Personally I am OK if the kennel edges overlap a bit as long as they are stable for transport, but my wife might be a little more concerned on this issue; guess we will see. I have measured the width and it looks "close", and probably worth us simply taking two crates down to the dealer and placing them in the back, but if you have experience with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Of course the difficulty with measurement is the rather awkward shape of the kennels where the max width is several inches off of the floor, the lip of the kennel can sorta fit over the edge of the side wall below the windows, the length at full kennel height can interfere with shutting the back door, and any lip on the back door area can make opening the kennel door a little awkward . Sounds like the cargo area length is OK for you, which is great news. We were not sure on this part of the puzzle when we looked the GL over. Any problem opening the kennel door; not a show stopper, but a mild annoyance?

Anyway, here is a link to pics of the kids... Sorry for getting a bit OT and detailed on this thread. Thanks again for the real world experience.

http://www.bondir.com/
Old 06-15-2007, 11:37 AM

GLC 300
I really appreciate you all taking the time to provide insights. After discussion with the dealer and my wife, whose favorite car is the ML 320 CDI, we decided to get the ML, despite some griping from me because from what I have seen and learned, now I know I would have chosen the GL over the X5. One of the problems is that I did not find a GL450 optioned closed to what I wanted, had to wait until September, and I figured that I won't lose much by having an ML for a year and when (and if) it becomes obvious we need a third row or more cargo than the ML, we can go back for a GL550 in 2008. The ML drives very well, the diesel mates very well for the weight of the car, and my wife is happy with it, more than with the bigger GL. Additionally, as I compared the ML and the GL in terms of dimensions, I noticed that the ML has actually more leg room in the front and second rows and more shoulder room. I have reached the conclusion that the X5 at 70k plus is an overpriced vehicle, in my opinion.

It is interesting that I opened the same thread in bimmerfest and only received one response, vs about 15 in here, which is very telling about the level of satisfaction of GL owners vs X5 owners. Thanks again!
Old 06-15-2007, 12:19 PM

13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
Sounds like a solid plan and it's always important that your wife is happy!! Good luck with the ML and let us know if you post any pics over on the M board!
Old 06-15-2007, 12:56 PM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
After discussion with the dealer and my wife, whose favorite car is the ML 320 CDI, we decided to get the ML

I am glad you made the decision you made. I own a GL 320 now and I am very, very happy with it but it is a good deal bigger than the ML and the X5. Those cars are more comparable to each other. The rear seat in the X5 is joke -- not usable except for going to Micky D's for nuggets and fries with the playgroup, and very expensive at $1500. The diesel in the ML 320 fits that size vehicle well and gives way more power than the six pot in the X5; to get more power in the X5 or the ML you're looking at north of $65K.

I had a 2000 X5 (19 inch wheels, 4.4 V8, Sports package) and I can honestly say it was the coolest thing I have ever owned. But when you have kids and things to haul, there is just no room in it. Did you know an X3 and a Ford Taurus have more cargo room with the rear seat up?

The big thing in BMW's favor is the included maintenance. I had waited for a three seat X5 4.8 because of the maintenance but was really disappointed in the size. This is why I went with the GL 320 -- it is bigger, and for highway travel, gets gas mileage that nothing else in its class can match.

You made the correct decision based on your needs and your wife's input. Enjoy.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:40 PM

2007 GL450
Concentrate on the front seats

My suggestion would be to spend some time concentrating on the front seats. I am tall and have long upper thighs. The X5 has very short front seat bottoms, they do not give good thigh support and overall are not as comfortable as the GL. I actually measured them in the X5 and those in the GL450, and the GL seats are almost 2 inches longer. It will make a difference on long trips. We actually have the multicontour seats in our 2007 GL450 and they are great! The thigh length can be extended even a little further.

I have information that right now Mercedes is NOT planning to offer multicontour seats in the 2008 GL450. Not enough orders for them in 2007. IMO that is a big mistake, those seats were worth the extra $800.

Good luck!
Old 06-15-2007, 01:44 PM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by stugilmour
Jen, thanks very much for the real world experience of transporting your dogs; very helpful. Interesting to hear the real world loading of the GL is similar to the Expedition. I am OK with the net restraint method, but I have been provided the "design brief" that any new vehicle will fit two kennel's side by side. I am hoping the GL will do this 'cus I really like the truck and figure the much anticipated V8 diesel would make a truly awesome tow vehicle.

We have English Springer Spaniels, and I used to own a Lab as well. Great dogs! We were down in the LA area last fall for the ESS Nationals and enjoyed ourselves immensely. Actually, towing a 5000 lb trailer from Calgary to LA is one of the main reasons we are seriously considering a tow vehicle upgrade. Nothing like crossing the Great Divide several times to care about torque!

As the wife and her sisters breed the dogs and are very active in the show world and various dog performance events, carrying capacity of the dog crates is a big issue for us. We use 300 size Furrarri's or 300 size Vari's for the girls, and occasionally a 400 for the boy or two girls on short in-town trips. I am guessing the 300 size is what you mean by a "large" size, with 400 being considered "extra large".

Can you fit the two 300 Vari's side by side in the back? I am sure two 400's will not comfortably fit, but two 300's might fill the bill for us. Personally I am OK if the kennel edges overlap a bit as long as they are stable for transport, but my wife might be a little more concerned on this issue; guess we will see. I have measured the width and it looks "close", and probably worth us simply taking two crates down to the dealer and placing them in the back, but if you have experience with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Of course the difficulty with measurement is the rather awkward shape of the kennels where the max width is several inches off of the floor, the lip of the kennel can sorta fit over the edge of the side wall below the windows, the length at full kennel height can interfere with shutting the back door, and any lip on the back door area can make opening the kennel door a little awkward . Sounds like the cargo area length is OK for you, which is great news. We were not sure on this part of the puzzle when we looked the GL over. Any problem opening the kennel door; not a show stopper, but a mild annoyance?

Anyway, here is a link to pics of the kids... Sorry for getting a bit OT and detailed on this thread. Thanks again for the real world experience.

http://www.bondir.com/
Hi Stu-

Beautiful fur kids! I've had my Vari for so long (since 1991) I can't remember if it's a 300 or 400, but I'll check tonight when I get home. I'll load it up in the back of the GL & measure it from the widest point. I can easily get the kennel door open -- no issues there. The kennel sits back far enough that I can load the dogs up the ramp into the back of the GL and into the kennel. There is probably about 6 or 7 inches between the front of the kennel and the opening sill of the GL. I do use a ramp to load my guys as my boy is 108 pounds which is too heavy for me to lift! My female can easily jump up into the back of the GL which sits lower than my Expedition did.

I'll check tonight when I get home from work & let you know.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:52 PM

GLC 300
Originally Posted by gordongl450

I have information that right now Mercedes is NOT planning to offer multicontour seats in the 2008 GL450. Not enough orders for them in 2007. IMO that is a big mistake, those seats were worth the extra $800.

Good luck!
I strongly echo your point. I did not know they were eliminating the Multicontours in the GL as well. I know for a fact they are not offering them in the 2008 ML. One reason why I did not wait for a 2008 ML or the dealer could not find me a GL optioned close to what I wanted was that multicontour seats were a must for us. I have them on my E63 and would not get another vehicle without them. I think a lot of people may not have tried them and therefore there is not too much demand, but once you try them, it is hard to go back. I can't imagine them not being available on the GL550 and it would definitely be a big mistake not to offer them on the GL 450. What are they going to do? Do a lumbar with a plastic manual lever on a 70k car? Ridiculous...
Old 06-15-2007, 03:03 PM

2014 GL 450
What are they going to do? Do a lumbar with a plastic manual lever on a 70k car? Ridiculous...
That's what they have right now on the GL if you don't have the multi-contour seats!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Torn between GL 450 and X5 4.8