It's not %@(&ing RIGHT!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2007 | 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
It's not %@(&ing RIGHT!

Okay, THAT should get your attention!

So I bit the bullet and, after asking a local classic MB retailer (with a number of very nice older SLs), I decided to take my GL to Airpark Auto Detailing (aka http://www.idetail.com/). The only reviews I could find of them were positive, and that was over a number of websites.

Let me explain that I asked quite bluntly on the detailing forum for help and got none, but I just think when we're over there we all talk about doing it ourselves. A noble idea, but in my case with my skill set it could turn out a little like self-dentistry. My car needed proper washing, sealing, and most importantly de-spider-webbing. This dusty environment plays havoc with black paint!

I had considered invisible bra treatments and looked at a few. These fellows were offering 3M film and actually offered to throw in a few extras (like most of the installation and all of the rear bumper cover) so I bit. I'm leaving this message here because the covering is specific to the GL! 3M seems to have the best warranty, too.

The detail was as advertised. I spoke a bit with the manager about buffing techniques and products used, and whether the paint protection is ceramic-based (it is). Basically tried my hardest to make him think I knew what I was talking about without sounding like I was trying to BS him, and just to see his reaction. He was very forthcoming with everything and there was so little to do on the inside we found a good price. He made sure I had realistic expectations, explained to me why he was doing one thing and not another (like why not to clay bar the whole vehicle, that sort of thing), wanted to be sure I would be happy. Very professional. Oh, his name is Ryan Schlemmer.

I stopped in around 10am, they had started at about 7am and pre-treated the whole area to be 3M film covered, and a few feet back it's just invisible. But it had to cure so they did those parts first thing. The rest of the car was clean but not finished, though a lot of the day would be devoted to the bra curing.

When I came back at 5:40pm (about 10-40 minutes after normal closing), Ryan was there to greet me and brought me back to the vehicle. He immediately pointed out to me the areas of the clear bra that were not right. He apologized to me and said it was the second car it'd happened to (they have a controlled cutting machine there so they cut off of whole rolls), he was going to send that roll back, he would have his installer come out to fix whatever I thought was not right on Monday when I get back from my road trip to San Diego, and why doesn't he just hold on to the whole bill (including the detail) until then. He said to me, "I do hate having to re-do stuff, I like getting it right first, but it's more important that you're happy."

For this, I don't mind too much that the windows - like everywhere else I have ever been (detail, auto-wash, dealerships) were half-assed cleaned (don't they always look like the guy just finished the leather protector and then used the same cloth for the windows?), because I think if I had asked about it he would have hussled his manager rear-end over, gotten a cloth, gotten to work and not griped an ounce.

So, here's pictures of what's NOT right on the film and what they're going to fix Monday. The rest of the car's in pretty good shape, but damn black attracts the dust!

STP
Attached Thumbnails It's not %@(&ing RIGHT!-p6140061.jpg   It's not %@(&ing RIGHT!-p6140063.jpg   It's not %@(&ing RIGHT!-p6140064.jpg  
Old 06-15-2007 | 06:11 AM

13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
The clear film application can be tricky business. Many times it takes a re-work to get all the air out or straighten misalignments. Maybe yours is the first GL he's done. Hopefully he can get it right on the next try. Great protection though and worth it. I've been looking in my area for someone who knows what they're doing. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2007 | 08:35 AM

GL450
STP that is depressing. I hate paying good money for people to mess stuff up more than when I handed it over to them. I don't know how many times I have taken something to a repair shop and come out with door dings, or speakers that were dislodged or torn, or something electrical going wrong because of lack of attention to detail. I hope they fix it soon, and let us know if they get it right again, and if it works well for you.
Old 06-15-2007 | 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by montesquieu1748
STP that is depressing. I hate paying good money for people to mess stuff up more than when I handed it over to them. I don't know how many times I have taken something to a repair shop and come out with door dings, or speakers that were dislodged or torn, or something electrical going wrong because of lack of attention to detail. I hope they fix it soon, and let us know if they get it right again, and if it works well for you.
Well, see, that's the one bright spot - I haven't paid for a thing, yet! And yes, this was their first GL they did. It caught a lot of attention. But at the time the film was first applied, they had the break points all good (in the complex curve areas), and it looked really terrific. No bubbles, no stretches, nothing. Even the edges were fairly invisible. The orange-peel on this stuff isn't even that bad!

I guess my point on this was (or is) he told me it was wrong, and it was his fault, and that I owed nothing until it was absolutely right.
Old 06-15-2007 | 09:20 AM

13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
I guess my point on this was (or is) he told me it was wrong, and it was his fault, and that I owed nothing until it was absolutely right.
Good sign, the guy seems up front and sounds like he takes pride in his work. Post some pics when it's done!
Old 06-15-2007 | 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jpeardm
Good sign, the guy seems up front and sounds like he takes pride in his work. Post some pics when it's done!
Aye, aye!
Old 06-15-2007 | 10:58 AM

GL450
Well it is good to hear that he is giving you such great customer service. If this ends up working out for you I may very well look into it. Sorry that I am advantageously awaiting to see how this works on your GL...
Old 06-15-2007 | 11:17 AM

2007 R320
Please see or check on MDGL320 post(s) on his car's clear bra been done in the Norther VA area. He got his done through the dealer prior to taking delivery.

STP - Did you have an option of complete film wrap vs. panel edge (which is your case)? The complete wrap will wrap the car hood, fenders, front spoilers completely by tucking in entirely, requiring removing of headlamps, front grills, etc. This sounds pricey and requires skilled/experience/custom shops.

I, too, am researching of options for my R320 front end protection.Thank you for sharing the information and experience. Hope things will work out for you.
Old 06-15-2007 | 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by montesquieu1748
Well it is good to hear that he is giving you such great customer service. If this ends up working out for you I may very well look into it. Sorry that I am advantageously awaiting to see how this works on your GL...
Just call me Mister Guinnea Pig! Hey, somebody's got to do it.

Besides, if I run into problems, I'm the guy with the rugged exterior (and the soft, chewey center).

I'll keep you guys updated!
Old 06-15-2007 | 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RDriver
Please see or check on MDGL320 post(s) on his car's clear bra been done in the Norther VA area. He got his done through the dealer prior to taking delivery.

STP - Did you have an option of complete film wrap vs. panel edge (which is your case)? The complete wrap will wrap the car hood, fenders, front spoilers completely by tucking in entirely, requiring removing of headlamps, front grills, etc. This sounds pricey and requires skilled/experience/custom shops.

I, too, am researching of options for my R320 front end protection.Thank you for sharing the information and experience. Hope things will work out for you.
I had read up on the forums regarding clear bras (for the car, this time) before making the decision. My thoughts were to protect the most damage-prone areas, rather than trying to wrap the entire car, and no I didn't have the option of tucking in. I believe one thing about "tucking in" that worried me was razor blades near my black paint! This was cut by a machine they have at the shop, basically making their own kit (which gave them some options, like parking sensors and headlamp washers, one of which I have and the other I don't). I also don't necessarily want someone who is not a Mercedes mechanic removing fenders and headlamps, etc. I think this is sufficient to defend against a larger amount of bug/rock/etc. damage without turning the truck into an orange-peel covered bon bon.
Old 06-15-2007 | 01:36 PM

My GL was the 3rd vehicle that I had 3M roadblock applied. The current application is good with some imperfections. I hope to replace the hood treatment but it involves getting the GL back to their shop. I had it applied to the front, 1/2 way up the hood, front of mirrors, headlights, fendera areas, and door edges.

If done right, it looks very good but remember it is protective and you loose something with that protection.
Old 06-15-2007 | 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MDGL320
My GL was the 3rd vehicle that I had 3M roadblock applied. The current application is good with some imperfections. I hope to replace the hood treatment but it involves getting the GL back to their shop. I had it applied to the front, 1/2 way up the hood, front of mirrors, headlights, fendera areas, and door edges.

If done right, it looks very good but remember it is protective and you loose something with that protection.
Uh ... consciousness? Or do you just mean the orange peel effect? You had it done pretty much where I had it done.

STP
Old 06-17-2007 | 11:25 AM
Banned

With our trained eyes Steven, it looks like there are razor cuts on your paint even though it is a precut kit. Fingers crossed that it is not, but the likelihood is high. We see this on a weekly basis with cars coming in from various states with the same issues. Just take a close look at the edges and you could see the jaggedness of the lines. It was definitely trimmed on and if the installer is not skilled at this, it would go right through to your clearcoat or possibly the primer. We hate to bring such news to the owners. Good luck and hope everything works out for you.
Old 06-17-2007 | 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Your a brave man driving a black car in Scottsdale! I've got my eye on a white GL320 here shortly.. with the current SUV being white, we can tell a night and day difference in interior temps for the kids between it and my mid-blue CDI..

But that detail looks good. Ever thing of using Zaino instead of regular wax?
Old 06-21-2007 | 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Premier
With our trained eyes Steven, it looks like there are razor cuts on your paint even though it is a precut kit. Fingers crossed that it is not, but the likelihood is high. We see this on a weekly basis with cars coming in from various states with the same issues. Just take a close look at the edges and you could see the jaggedness of the lines. It was definitely trimmed on and if the installer is not skilled at this, it would go right through to your clearcoat or possibly the primer. We hate to bring such news to the owners. Good luck and hope everything works out for you.
Well, I don't think that it's razor cuts in the paint - it just looks like an edge of the clear film against black, which makes it amazingly obvious up close.

This is something that's mechanically cut on a machine in the shop, 3M film. If it were razor cuts in the paint, there'd have been a police report. On me.