Is it just me or

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Is it just me or

Has anyone here noticed any distortion in the driver side rear view mirror? Mine was not auto dimming so I took it in and now it is auto dimming but there is a line at the bottom where distortion occurs. I have read about couple occurences so far and was wondering if there are more cases out there.

I have also noticed an intermittent slight vibration coming through the wheel and sometimes I can feel it on the floor also. Almost feels like two plates running at high speed against each other. Not very uncomfortable but more of an annoyance and definitely no noises. Is it all in my head? or
Old 06-20-2007, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
Is your vibration speed related? No mirror issues for me but between 60/70 mph the GL feels fine but maybe a little vibration, probably tires? but above that at 75/80+ it just smooths right out like it's on air bearings and rock stable, amazing ride and quiet. Much nicer than my wife's Range Rover.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
I have noticed the vibration mainly at higher speeds. It's really a sensation that I can feel and nothing too overt. It just nags me at the back of my mind. Dealer says it's normal and is power train transferring power. The ride itself is flawless.

What kind of vibration you feel, jpeardm? body, steering, or ??

BTW, dealer is replacing the glass on rear view mirror. These guys are too good, BTW. Backed the car against a wall which is white and tell me to show them the distortion. Since the wall is all the same color, you can't see any distortion. Told them to park it outside and look at a contrast (sunlight/shadow) and then they would see. Pat comes the reply, "If we can't see it here, not sure what we will see outside". I said, "Last I checked, I don't have fluorescent lit walls in my rearview when I drive. I see cars, roads, etc. in normal sunlight.".
Old 06-20-2007, 04:15 PM

[QUOTE=oknish;2281521]I have noticed the vibration mainly at higher speeds. It's really a sensation that I can feel and nothing too overt. It just nags me at the back of my mind. Dealer says it's normal and is power train transferring power. The ride itself is flawless.

I'm not sure I can even clasify it as vibration or noise. It's just something a little different about the ride between 55 and 70 mph. If I get any open road on my dismal commute home I will pay attention at speeds and try to quantify what I'm feeling but I think it's probably tire related. Also, I'm at 3000 mi now and when I hit 6500 I'm going to have a 4 wheel alignment, rotation and road force balance done anyway and see if my ever so slight drift to the right goes away too.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
[QUOTE=jpeardm;2281580]
Originally Posted by oknish
I have noticed the vibration mainly at higher speeds. It's really a sensation that I can feel and nothing too overt. It just nags me at the back of my mind. Dealer says it's normal and is power train transferring power. The ride itself is flawless.

I'm not sure I can even clasify it as vibration or noise. It's just something a little different about the ride between 55 and 70 mph. If I get any open road on my dismal commute home I will pay attention at speeds and try to quantify what I'm feeling but I think it's probably tire related. Also, I'm at 3000 mi now and when I hit 6500 I'm going to have a 4 wheel alignment, rotation and road force balance done anyway and see if my ever so slight drift to the right goes away too.
You know, I noticed on my San Diego trip that I had a light drift to the right, but if I was on the other side of the road crown it did drift left. I've had similar problems with other 4WD vehicles being extra sensitive to the crown, so it might not go away.

At ... ahem ... highway speeds on I-8, I didn't notice any vibrations at all. In fact, the whole situation seemed smoother and more stable the more highway the speeds got.

I'm takin' the 5th here.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:20 PM

[QUOTE=StevethePilot;2284091]
Originally Posted by jpeardm

You know, I noticed on my San Diego trip that I had a light drift to the right, but if I was on the other side of the road crown it did drift left. I've had similar problems with other 4WD vehicles being extra sensitive to the crown, so it might not go away.

At ... ahem ... highway speeds on I-8, I didn't notice any vibrations at all. In fact, the whole situation seemed smoother and more stable the more highway the speeds got.

I'm takin' the 5th here.
Yeah, I agree, I've heard when you approach mach 1 everything smooths right out!
Seriously, in regards to the drift and ride, that's exactly what I find with mine too.