GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

2008 GL 320 CDI ADSII + Multicontour seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Currently Driving a BMW 325 Sport Wagon
2008 GL 320 CDI ADSII + Multicontour seats

Hi everyone, quick question there seems to be quite a bit of information on the topic of ADSII and Multicontour seats.

I was just at MBUSA and found on the ML you can order ADSII but not Multicontour seats

For the GL 320, I didn't see the ADSII or seating option - anyone have clear info on what the story is?

I REALLY want both options on the GL but can't seem to get good info???

HELP!?
Old 07-23-2007, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Jlight
Hi everyone, quick question there seems to be quite a bit of information on the topic of ADSII and Multicontour seats.

I was just at MBUSA and found on the ML you can order ADSII but not Multicontour seats

For the GL 320, I didn't see the ADSII or seating option - anyone have clear info on what the story is?

I REALLY want both options on the GL but can't seem to get good info???

HELP!?
You are correct, neither the multicontour seats or ADSII is available on the GL320CDI for 2008. No one except MBUSA can explain "what the story is" for the lack of these options, especially the ADSII. With MBUSA, one never knows the rhyme or reason for their marketing decisions.

Good Luck...
Old 07-23-2007, 09:57 PM

2007 GL450
No Multicontour Seats in 2008

Jlight,

Mercedes has dropped the option for multicontour seats in the GL 450 and GL 320 series and the ML series for 2008. I think this is a big mistake. I am trying to decide on buying a 2008 ML and I can't get the multicontour seats which my wife has in her GL 450. We love them!

The GL550 comes with the drive-dynamic multicontour seat for the driver and a regular multicontour seat for the passenger as standard equipment. The way I understand the drive-dynamic multicontour seat is that the lateral bolster on the side opposite the direction of the turning vehicle will inflate if you are making a sharp turn.

Gordon
Old 07-23-2007, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gordongl450
The GL550 comes with the drive-dynamic multicontour seat for the driver and a regular multicontour seat for the passenger as standard equipment. The way I understand the drive-dynamic multicontour seat is that the lateral bolster on the side opposite the direction of the turning vehicle will inflate if you are making a sharp turn.

Gordon
I wish that were true but the "Drive Dynamic" seats are not available for the driver. That is a misprint in the Brochure and probably on the website. My Netstar detail also supports the absence of the drive dynamic feature. Both the driver and passenger multicontour seats are standard on the GL550.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:21 PM

ADSII and Seats

Thanks for the info guys!! I JUST DON'T GET MB - offer ADSII on a ML but not on a GL? No multicontour seats??? They sell themselves... So now do I have to search for a 2007 with those options - geeze this stinks. I drove one at the dealership about 3 weeks ago -- I have to say I am a BMW guy but the GL 320 CDI is stiff competition for the X5 (in my opinion) and is exactly what we are looking for --- ONLY IF IT HAD ADSII and MULTI CONTOUR SEATS.

I hope MB USA is reading this, I hope the VLE and GL Marketing Director take note. It would be one thing if the option was not offered on any trim of this platform - the fact that they are on the new 550 and were offered in 2007 feels like MB is moving back -- not forward.

To offer ADSII on the ML but not the GL? Strange indeed... Don't get me wrong I am happy for the ML owners that want ADSII but come on, this is the GL we are talking about here, not some entry level SUV...

Frustrated and back to the drawing board... I can gey an X5 with the active, comfort, and ventalated seats which are fantastic, especially here in hot, sunny FL but I want a diesel and I think the GL is bigger and a bit more refined...

So what to do, get a ML 320 CDI with ADSII and wait till the 420 Bluetec comes out? I would rather just get a GL 320 CDI now... UGH...

Mercedes needs to amp up their consumer research and spend some time on thinking how to properly content/option their vehicles!

If the GL wasn't so great, I wouldn't be this pissed!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 10:29 PM

2007 GL450
My Error

Nevada,

Sorry, Drive-Dynamic seats was what I got from the website. Actually, it makes sense not to have that technology in a truck.

Anyway, my dealer said that his regional rep said they dropped multicontour seats because of a low order rate. However, he did leave open the option that they could be re-introduced as an option later in the year. What a dumb game they are playing.

However, the fact they are putting regular multicontour seats in the GL550 means that they still have the resources to build them. That may be a good thing. Maybe they will re-appear as an option for the other GL's and the ML's sometime during the year. I would love to know since I am looking to get an ML now.

Gordon
Old 07-23-2007, 10:34 PM

MB USA - PLEASE Re Introduce the ADSII and the MULTI CONTOUR SEATS TO THE GL OPTION LIST FOR ALL GL MODELS (320, 450, 550)

Oh and PS, hurry up with the 420 Bluetec too!
Old 07-23-2007, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gordongl450
Nevada,

Sorry, Drive-Dynamic seats was what I got from the website. Actually, it makes sense not to have that technology in a truck.

Anyway, my dealer said that his regional rep said they dropped multicontour seats because of a low order rate. However, he did leave open the option that they could be re-introduced as an option later in the year. What a dumb game they are playing.

However, the fact they are putting regular multicontour seats in the GL550 means that they still have the resources to build them. That may be a good thing. Maybe they will re-appear as an option for the other GL's and the ML's sometime during the year. I would love to know since I am looking to get an ML now.

Gordon
I wouldn't count on it. They are a fickle group in Montvale. I love their products but their marketing stinks to be really frank. I don't know where they select their focus groups from but they sure are not luxury car buyers.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB USA - PLEASE Re Introduce the ADSII and the MULTI CONTOUR SEATS TO THE GL OPTION LIST FOR ALL GL MODELS (320, 450, 550)

You are singing to the choir...:-) An informed poster (GL Fahrer) has indicated several times that there is no plan to bring the GL420 Bluetec here? And as far as ADSII is concerned, I don't know why they even develop these features if they do not plan on letting people have them.

As I said above...they make one hell of a car/truck but for the buyer to get what he wants for the price he pays MB is like pulling teeth.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
I am not going to comment.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55

Also, leather AND heating option, ventilated seats, distronic, and yada, yada, yada.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:47 AM
Out Of Control!!

2005 E55
Thanks for the info guys!! I JUST DON'T GET MB - offer ADSII on a ML but not on a GL? No multicontour seats??? They sell themselves... So now do I have to search for a 2007 with those options - geeze this stinks. I drove one at the dealership about 3 weeks ago -- I have to say I am a BMW guy but the GL 320 CDI is stiff competition for the X5 (in my opinion) and is exactly what we are looking for --- ONLY IF IT HAD ADSII and MULTI CONTOUR SEATS.

I hope MB USA is reading this, I hope the VLE and GL Marketing Director take note. It would be one thing if the option was not offered on any trim of this platform - the fact that they are on the new 550 and were offered in 2007 feels like MB is moving back -- not forward.

To offer ADSII on the ML but not the GL? Strange indeed... Don't get me wrong I am happy for the ML owners that want ADSII but come on, this is the GL we are talking about here, not some entry level SUV...

Frustrated and back to the drawing board... I can gey an X5 with the active, comfort, and ventalated seats which are fantastic, especially here in hot, sunny FL but I want a diesel and I think the GL is bigger and a bit more refined...

So what to do, get a ML 320 CDI with ADSII and wait till the 420 Bluetec comes out? I would rather just get a GL 320 CDI now... UGH...

Mercedes needs to amp up their consumer research and spend some time on thinking how to properly content/option their vehicles!

If the GL wasn't so great, I wouldn't be this pissed!!!
I am not a big fan of any BMW product, but right now the X5 is the only vehicle that I would consider that offers ventilated seats, parktronic, distronic,, keyless, back up camera, Sirius, high definition FM, nav with traffic feature, active xenon lights, and a few other things that I consider must have options. And, they include all services during the warranty period. They make a good argument. I am trying very hard to warm up to the X5, but so far I still prefer the M-B products. Maybe it's time for a test drive.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:49 AM

You will really like a fully loaded X5 V8 you can get every seating option under the sun and all the new fun toys.

The fact that BMW includes service is very nice, I do get extra oil changes in between the free service points - just because...
Old 07-24-2007, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
You will really like a fully loaded X5 V8 you can get every seating option under the sun and all the new fun toys.

The fact that BMW includes service is very nice, I do get extra oil changes in between the free service points - just because...
Except if you need 3rd row seating where GL really shines. I can now see why NJ has the love/hate relationship with MB since I am beginning to develop the same.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by oknish
Except if you need 3rd row seating where GL really shines. I can now see why NJ has the love/hate relationship with MB since I am beginning to develop the same.
... or diesel.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

2005 E55
I am beginning to like the X5 a bit more. Since I will spend most of the time in the driver's seat, that item becomes important to me. Below is what the BMW web site has to say about the front seats. Hmmm, 20 way, active (dynamic?), ventilated, heated. Sounds promising. I am definitely going to look at one of them and see what they are like in the flesh. I might decide that they are too small. I know they have a 3rd row seat available, but I don't think there is enough room for normal sized people. Besides, I don't want that many riding with me anyway. The heads up display sounds interesting. A fully loaded X5 with 4.8 liter DOHC, 32-valve, 350-hp engine lists for $75,520.

Active Ventilated Seat Package

20-way power multi-contour front seats - include standard 10-way power seat functions, plus additional power adjustment functions for shoulder and thigh support, backrest width and lumbar support (contour and position), plus 2-way manual lateral adjustment for comfort headrest
Active seat for driver
Front ventilated seats (requires Nevada Leather/Perforated)
Old 07-26-2007, 11:40 AM

Can Drive,

The BMW X5 Comfort, Active, Vent seats are absolutely fantastic. Its a different ride than the GL the 3rd row is not big - I would not get the 3rd row in an X5 and overall the X5 is clearly smaller than the GL HOWEVER, the seating is fantastic and BMW lets you order the car just how you want it. They too are introducing a diesel in 2009...

Overall I like the GL a lot if it had the 420 V8 Diesel I would have one ordered now. I just can't bring myself to order the 320 CDI as I can't get ADSII and the multicontour seats SO I am on hold.

If the X5 is offered in a diesel and I can order the seating package the way I want it - I'll continue to be a BMW guy.

If MB USA figures out how easy it could be to offer their GL Build To Order (they have the components and supply agreements already in the system) they may convert me - the GL is a great ride!