GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

no sound when locking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NJ Edison, ACURA TL , GL450
no sound when locking

I am so used of the beep from my other cars use to make while locking them via remote. I always have to look twice at the mirrors folding .. it is so annoying while parking at trains station coz i am always in a hurry but i have to sometimes turn around and make sure I did lock the car .

Is there any hidden feature which would enable the beep ?
Old 07-31-2007, 04:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
The dealer can enable it. Not entirely sure on the GL, but doable on most other models. I'd call first.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by GLDriver
I am so used of the beep from my other cars use to make while locking them via remote. I always have to look twice at the mirrors folding .. it is so annoying while parking at trains station coz i am always in a hurry but i have to sometimes turn around and make sure I did lock the car .

I just listen for the lock levers to go down which tells me the car is locked. Also the blinking lights are an indication that the car has locked (as well as the mirrors.)
Old 07-31-2007, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 183 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Mercedes' way is sure a lot more earth friendly than blaring the car horn as is done on cheapo cars.

Seems like I'm always walking by somewhere when someone locks their car and it scares the #### out of me.

Please don't tell us you wish your Mercedes worked like a chebbie.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by GLDriver

I asked my sales rep and my service rep and they said none of the trucks make noise when locking. I find one of the few nice things about driving a C230 loaner is the quiet yet unmistakable chirp it makes when locking the door. It's different from other cars, kind of a trebel-chirp to lock, a single to open. I wish my GL would do it.

I also wish there were a way to compile a series of locations on different versions of the Command menus for the service guys to look up. It seems like they give them this great hacking tool to customize the cars, then change its operation every few months and never tell anyone where any of the options live.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
I asked my sales rep and my service rep and they said none of the trucks make noise when locking. I find one of the few nice things about driving a C230 loaner is the quiet yet unmistakable chirp it makes when locking the door. It's different from other cars, kind of a trebel-chirp to lock, a single to open. I wish my GL would do it.

I also wish there were a way to compile a series of locations on different versions of the Command menus for the service guys to look up. It seems like they give them this great hacking tool to customize the cars, then change its operation every few months and never tell anyone where any of the options live.
Did it sound like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R29JgE6cviY

The video poster is a member here and goes by the same username too. I think he made a thread about it. iirc, this isn't the same as the other chirp that most others go for.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by AsianML
Did it sound like this?

The video poster is a member here and goes by the same username too. I think he made a thread about it. iirc, this isn't the same as the other chirp that most others go for.
Well, other than the bird in the background which is clearly on crystal meth, yes that's the sound I'm talking about, though that sounded slightly louder (might've been amplified in post production). The two chirps at the end appeared to be because he pressed unlock twice.

There's another chirp that most others go for? What I like about it is that it's quiet and you can't mistake three locking chirps as you're walking away versus one (with the light flashes of course) when you're going back towards the car.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NJ Edison, ACURA TL , GL450
Please don't tell us you wish your Mercedes worked like a chebbie.
I definately don't want that but atleast some sort of beep or chirp would be nice. Lets just say I didn't shut my door completely and i walked 50 yards away and hit the lock button, i would atleast know that something is wrong since i won't hear the audio chirp