GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

running boards

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2007 | 04:27 PM

running boards

Hi gang. I'm picking up my 07 450 GL this week and had a few questions.

Is there any type of bumper protection including bumper guards that don't make the truck look to Gorky? Wife is driving.
No rear hitch to put a tube step.

My truck didn't come with running boards. I see that there are two versions on other trucks. Are these both available? P/N price?

I didn't bother to search. So if these questions have bin answered. My apologies in advance.
Old 08-03-2007 | 09:32 PM

2007 GL450
Aesthetics Of Runnings Boards On GL's and ML's

Has anyone elso noticed how much the GL running boards make a bright reflection off of the body work of the lower doors!

I noticed this immediately the first time I saw a GL with running boards last January. As soon as your start to walk toward the vehicle and you are in a position, or at a distance, that your eyes can look down toward the running boards, the reflection is noticable on the doors.

The bright silver metal with the black anti-slip dots gets reflected VERY distinctly by the paint. I find it is more noticable with the daker color paints.

Although I like the way the running boards intergrate with the body work at the base of the doors and ito the wheel wells, I do not like the reflection at all. I find it distracting. The same effect happens with the ML's and running boards.

However, it is a high vehicle and running boards can be helpful. I have stepped on them with my full weight and they are very sturdy.

My wife and I have ordered a new 2008 GL 320 and decided to order the side-step bars. I have never seen the side-step bars in person, only in pictures, there is also some reflection but at least it is not that "dot-dot" pattern.

By the way, the side-step bars are listed on the "build your own" page as $790, but the print out from NetStar lists them as $1,090.

Gordon