Braking impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Braking impressions

Hey, I was just wondering about this; a couple of days ago after dropping off one of my kids at school, I was undertaking a C-class close behind another driver (he apparantly prefers not to undertake - or pass on the right here in the U.S. - which is perfectly legal and allowable). As I came up on the guy, however, he changed his mind and began changing lanes (I was about up to his passenger door, I don't know why he didn't see me), so I put my foot rather sharply on the brake, expecting to allow him in. I wasn't passing him that fast and I imagined he'd go faster than I wanted to anyway.

Here's where the problem came in. I had had the cruise control on (I use it whenever it's logical to do so, not just on the highways), so I didn't have to lift my foot off the accelerator. While I did engage the brake rather quickly as he was headed over and I'd rather avoid a collision, I didn't mash it down or stomp on it. I gave it about half or less quick braking. The GL's reaction, however, was anything but subtle. Not only did the ABS engage and I got a little squeal out of my tires, but the pedal actually pulled away from my foot. AND I got a "Way to over-react!" from my wife.

I know one of the safety systems on new cars is pre-collision preparation and one of those is to add pressure to braking when the system decides you're doing emergency braking (something about people sometimes being unwilling or unable to fully apply the brakes to avoid the crash). But it seemed a little extreme. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 08-20-2007, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Hey, I was just wondering about this; a couple of days ago after dropping off one of my kids at school, I was undertaking a C-class close behind another driver (he apparantly prefers not to undertake - or pass on the right here in the U.S. - which is perfectly legal and allowable). As I came up on the guy, however, he changed his mind and began changing lanes (I was about up to his passenger door, I don't know why he didn't see me), so I put my foot rather sharply on the brake, expecting to allow him in. I wasn't passing him that fast and I imagined he'd go faster than I wanted to anyway.

Here's where the problem came in. I had had the cruise control on (I use it whenever it's logical to do so, not just on the highways), so I didn't have to lift my foot off the accelerator. While I did engage the brake rather quickly as he was headed over and I'd rather avoid a collision, I didn't mash it down or stomp on it. I gave it about half or less quick braking. The GL's reaction, however, was anything but subtle. Not only did the ABS engage and I got a little squeal out of my tires, but the pedal actually pulled away from my foot. AND I got a "Way to over-react!" from my wife.

I know one of the safety systems on new cars is pre-collision preparation and one of those is to add pressure to braking when the system decides you're doing emergency braking (something about people sometimes being unwilling or unable to fully apply the brakes to avoid the crash). But it seemed a little extreme. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Steve
That brake assist I think senses the speed of the movement to the brake pedal and if it is above a normal timeframe, it then applies the extra pressure based on the pedal pressure and the speed of the application to the brake pedal.

I have had the brake assist help me a few times through the years with situations I don't think I would have stopped in time without it. But I have not had it occur like you experienced.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:46 PM

GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
STP, I have felt the brake assist engage a few times for me when I have put the brakes on pretty hard. I have not gotten any sudden movements or anything like that but just a more firm response on the pedal then I was putting on myself (and yes mine does pull away from me a bit). It was actually reassuring that the car was doing this for me and I am pretty impressed with the brakes in general on this car.

On a different note, and I am in no way preaching to you on how to drive and I really do not mean to offend you, but passing on the right is not something I would recommend. In some states it actually is illegal. Where I grew up in Pennsylvania it is illegal. A lot of times (and obviously in your case) people just don't expect for someone to be there.......
Old 08-21-2007, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BeanCounter
On a different note, and I am in no way preaching to you on how to drive and I really do not mean to offend you, but passing on the right is not something I would recommend. In some states it actually is illegal. Where I grew up in Pennsylvania it is illegal. A lot of times (and obviously in your case) people just don't expect for someone to be there.......
Passing on the left (our right) in the UK is totally illegal. What happens here generally in Arizona is just traffic - someone in the left lane is slowing to make a turn, someone is just generally driving slowly on a busy street, whatever. I always try and take extra care whenever I'm passing someone who is tailgating, like this guy was doing, on the left or on the right, and I was passing him by maybe 2-4 MPH, nothing too big.

I don't think passing on the right is any less safe than passing on the left, because I don't think passing on the left is safe either. As I've gotten older, I've tried to take the attitude that the other guy (gal, whatever) is trying to figure out a way to kill me. As I've done so, I'm amazed how many times I'm right. I'll be tooling along and see another car, "Oh, that guy's going to change lanes to in front of me really quickly without his signal," and I'll just let off the gas. Sure enough, had I not let off the gas I would've had to lock 'em up.

So, now I'm taking all my toys and going home. I'm terribly offended that you would show any concern for my safety and offer concerned driving tips. After all, what are we supposed to be here? Friends?

STP

PS For those who aren't psychic and can't read my mind from a distance, I'm being sarcastic in that last paragraph. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2007, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by BeanCounter
STP, I have felt the brake assist engage a few times for me when I have put the brakes on pretty hard. I have not gotten any sudden movements or anything like that but just a more firm response on the pedal then I was putting on myself (and yes mine does pull away from me a bit). It was actually reassuring that the car was doing this for me and I am pretty impressed with the brakes in general on this car.

Greetings from Pa...........it still is illegal to 1. pass on the right or 2. "drive "in the left lane here in Pa. (left lane for passing only ) I believe it has been that way in many states for years, consequently, as you say.......a lot of people don't expect someone to be there.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
Originally Posted by blittle
Greetings from Pa...........it still is illegal to 1. pass on the right or 2. "drive "in the left lane here in Pa. (left lane for passing only ) I believe it has been that way in many states for years, consequently, as you say.......a lot of people don't expect someone to be there.
I've felt that once in my GL about a month ago during a panic highway stop and it did feel strange but was very effective.
Here in Mass it's a free for all, we weave anywhere there's an opening and it gets very aggressive. Police generally ticket only for speeding and seem to allow left and right passing whether it's legal or not I'll bet no one even knows or cares. Maybe about 50% bother to even use turn signals. I just got back from Phoenix and I love the wide open boulevards and I was impressed with the drivers being very polite from what I'm used to. I even had to pull a couple of "M*******" moves to make some turns and people behind me backed right off and didn't even give me the bird or horns.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jpeardm
I just got back from Phoenix and I love the wide open boulevards and I was impressed with the drivers being very polite from what I'm used to. I even had to pull a couple of "M*******" moves to make some turns and people behind me backed right off and didn't even give me the bird or horns.
Wow, I guess people took that recent poll of Phoenix being one of the least polite cities for drivers to heart! Glad you had a good experience! Yeah, we have some very wide open streets, straight roads where you can see two miles up. And while I might whine about traffic and backups, it's really nothing like LA or similar places. But then again, we whine because we don't WANT it to be like that!

On I-17 at least (North-South freeway from Tucson to Flagstaff) there are signs specifically saying, "Slower Traffic Keep Right." This, of course, doesn't apply if you're under 19, over 65, or English is not your first language.

I guess I should just be grateful that the pre-collision system is working well, trying to protect me from myself. I just happen to have decent reflexes (so far) and as a pilot, I'm always trying to be very aware of my surroundings and other vehicles. I know it'll jinx it, but we pilots tend to have car accidents at one of the lowest rates in the nation.

STP
Old 08-21-2007, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB
Guys,

This is a really good post which alludes to a safety and congestion issue that is the bane of my driving exisitence- namely the failure of people to stay right especially when traffic is closing from behind. I am a PA resident too, and especially hate passing on the right side, but have gotten so tired of people cruising in the left lane and failing to yield. Do they think the rear-view mirror is for fixing their hair? This is one traffic violation that should be enforced which would likely save lives and make for more efficient commuting. Whew! Glad I got that off my chest, I'm much better now...
Old 08-22-2007, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by emayer
This is a really good post which alludes to a safety and congestion issue that is the bane of my driving exisitence- namely the failure of people to stay right especially when traffic is closing from behind.
In Germany they have a saying for the Autobahn (which I'm sure I'm about to badly mangle); "Fahren reiss!" If I haven't destroyed it too badly, it means "drive to the right," or always stay in the right lane except to pass, even if you're doing 179mph. Every place has its plusses and minuses when it comes to driving, but a big minus in the U.S. is a lack of standardization in driving rules, and idiotic simplicity in getting, retaining, and reinstating driving priviledges (which is what they are, not rights).

That said, I think it's good the brakes kick in like that. Is it braking action that slows the GL down when over-controlling, or does it also reduce the amount of steering?