GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Finally Saw the GL550 in Person

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2007 | 06:37 PM

2011 E350, 2008 GL550
Finally Saw the GL550 in Person

Long time lurker here, finally stepping out of the shadows...

I've had my eye on the GL ever since MB announced they were going to build a bigger SUV-- I've got a 2000 ML320 which has been a great car and, with 2 kids, want the extra room.

I was bitterly disappointed when MB came out with only the 450-- the biggest MB doesn't offer the biggest engine?! But I vowed then to wait it out, knowing (or at least hoping) that they would follow up with a 550. My faith wavered a few times as the 450 sold well and won awards- I wondered if MB would see the need to add a 550. But I was very excited when I saw the first stories of the GL550 at the NY Auto Show.

Best of all, it sounded like MB had not only dropped in a bigger engine but, answering my fondest hopes, built a vehicle that explicitly differentiates itself as the high-end GL. About a month ago, I went into the nearbly FJ MBZ in Newport Beach and ordered an Iridium Silver. I asked the rep to let me know as soon as a GL550 showed up so I could see one in person. I got the email today.

I drove right over and saw the white 550 they have on the lot. I have to say, after seeing all the great pictures you all have posted, another one of my fondest hopes was realized-- photos don't do this vehicle justice. The 21" wheels, flared fenders, side-steps, chrome roof racks and that BUFF front end make this an extremely proportional, muscular looking vehicle. "Beautiful" was the first word that came to mind. All my waiting has been vindicated. Delivery is set for mid-September.

To try to add a bit of useful information- I originally didn't order the factory dual-screen DVD system because the screens on the vehicles I looked at actually protruded back from the seat by about an inch. It just didn't look like a clean installation. But they've addressed the issue in the GL550. The screens are now flush with the back of the front seat and look much more like "part of the vehicle". I modified my order (vehicle is just entering production) and will have the factory dual-screens. The rep explained something re: issues with airbags that had to be dealt with in previous installations of these systems, but that the factory has now figured out a fix or work-around. In any case, I'm happy to be getting the factory equipment on this.

Thanks to everyone for an amazing resource on this vehicle. Here's hoping we all have a great experience.

Best,
Voy
Old 08-30-2007 | 07:04 PM

13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
Welcome to the forum Voy and that's great you're waiting for the 550. Join in the fun anytime and we can all learn from each other about these beautiful vehicles.
Old 08-30-2007 | 07:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Congrats on your order and you are going to love your new vehicle. I'm glad to hear that it looks good with white exterior as that is what I ordered (I almost ordered silver as I am sure that it will look great as well). I was about to order the factory dual screens but we decided against this. The aftermarket ones that I am getting are top loading in the actual headrest which makes it easier for my wife to help my 2 & 4 year old from the front seat. The factory system, I believe, has the DVD loading under the 2nd row passenger which is sometimes difficult to get to. Unfortunately my delivery isn't going to be until late October!
Old 08-30-2007 | 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
CONGRATS on your soon-to-arrrive new ride and welcome to the board. I have the same feeling that looking at 550 in pics won't do it justice. Just have been too lazy to go a dealer to look at one.
Old 08-30-2007 | 07:48 PM

2011 E350, 2008 GL550
Originally Posted by S550 & GL550
Congrats on your order and you are going to love your new vehicle. I'm glad to hear that it looks good with white exterior as that is what I ordered (I almost ordered silver as I am sure that it will look great as well). I was about to order the factory dual screens but we decided against this. The aftermarket ones that I am getting are top loading in the actual headrest which makes it easier for my wife to help my 2 & 4 year old from the front seat. The factory system, I believe, has the DVD loading under the 2nd row passenger which is sometimes difficult to get to. Unfortunately my delivery isn't going to be until late October!
I'm actually a little envious that you are getting it in white. White is my favorite vehicle color, but our ML320 is also white and, since we are keeping it, we opted for silver (the E430 is on its last legs and will be traded in). I'm sure the silver will look great too. But you will not be disappointed with the white- very, very clean.

Right around Halloween, you're going to be driving the finest looking vehicle in town.

Thanks all for the welcome to the board. This is a great group of people.

Voy
Old 08-30-2007 | 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by voy2k
Long time lurker here, finally stepping out of the shadows...

I've had my eye on the GL ever since MB announced they were going to build a bigger SUV-- I've got a 2000 ML320 which has been a great car and, with 2 kids, want the extra room.

I was bitterly disappointed when MB came out with only the 450-- the biggest MB doesn't offer the biggest engine?! But I vowed then to wait it out, knowing (or at least hoping) that they would follow up with a 550. My faith wavered a few times as the 450 sold well and won awards- I wondered if MB would see the need to add a 550. But I was very excited when I saw the first stories of the GL550 at the NY Auto Show.

Best of all, it sounded like MB had not only dropped in a bigger engine but, answering my fondest hopes, built a vehicle that explicitly differentiates itself as the high-end GL. About a month ago, I went into the nearbly FJ MBZ in Newport Beach and ordered an Iridium Silver. I asked the rep to let me know as soon as a GL550 showed up so I could see one in person. I got the email today.

I drove right over and saw the white 550 they have on the lot. I have to say, after seeing all the great pictures you all have posted, another one of my fondest hopes was realized-- photos don't do this vehicle justice. The 21" wheels, flared fenders, side-steps, chrome roof racks and that BUFF front end make this an extremely proportional, muscular looking vehicle. "Beautiful" was the first word that came to mind. All my waiting has been vindicated. Delivery is set for mid-September.

To try to add a bit of useful information- I originally didn't order the factory dual-screen DVD system because the screens on the vehicles I looked at actually protruded back from the seat by about an inch. It just didn't look like a clean installation. But they've addressed the issue in the GL550. The screens are now flush with the back of the front seat and look much more like "part of the vehicle". I modified my order (vehicle is just entering production) and will have the factory dual-screens. The rep explained something re: issues with airbags that had to be dealt with in previous installations of these systems, but that the factory has now figured out a fix or work-around. In any case, I'm happy to be getting the factory equipment on this.

Thanks to everyone for an amazing resource on this vehicle. Here's hoping we all have a great experience.

Best,
Voy
I had the same impression on pictures vs. the real thing. I got a chance to see one a couple of weeks ago and made the same assessment. I also felt the front was well proportioned and although the Tri-Star is huge, it seems to blend pretty well with the rest of the front end.

Welcome and join in the fun here...sense of humor abounds here...:-)
Old 08-31-2007 | 11:59 AM

2011 E350, 2008 GL550
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I had the same impression on pictures vs. the real thing. I got a chance to see one a couple of weeks ago and made the same assessment. I also felt the front was well proportioned and although the Tri-Star is huge, it seems to blend pretty well with the rest of the front end.

Welcome and join in the fun here...sense of humor abounds here...:-)
Great to hear from you Nevada Jack. You are a legend on these boards. Just read on another thread about the wheel insurance you've gotten from your dealer-- I'm going to look into that.

Best,
Voy
Old 08-31-2007 | 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by voy2k
Great to hear from you Nevada Jack. You are a legend on these boards. Best,
Voy