GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Anyone's GL450 blown up on them??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 11:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 cls 63 030
Anyone's GL450 blown up on them??

My sister has a Gl450 with 8400 miles on it. She was driving it today and her check oil level at next refueling light came on. When she stopped at the gas station she had the attendent check out the situation, he said the car was a quart low and added about a quart of whatever mobil 1 synthetic the car called for. She then continued driving and about 45 miles later the light came back on again to check the oil level. She then realized that there was smoke coming out from under the hood. After pulling over and popping the hood the whole engine was smoking and the car was leaking oil down on the road. Got a tow truck and shipped her on back to the dealership, and she is waiting on word of what is going on sometime tommorow. I guess the thing was 3 quarts low when the tow truck showed up and it was incapable of holding any oil, it would just pour down on the floor after putting it in. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I have gotten the check oil light in my cls63 before and added oil myself, and now this makes me nervous. I am wondering if oil was added unneccesarily and if that caused a hose to burst or some kind of pressure build up. Just giving everyong a heads up, if you get the oil message, be careful.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NJ Edison, ACURA TL , GL450
Wow

Never heard of this. Is it possible that the gas station guy poured too much !!
Old 09-17-2007, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by joemoney415
My sister has a Gl450 with 8400 miles on it. She was driving it today and her check oil level at next refueling light came on. When she stopped at the gas station she had the attendent check out the situation, he said the car was a quart low and added about a quart of whatever mobil 1 synthetic the car called for. She then continued driving and about 45 miles later the light came back on again to check the oil level. She then realized that there was smoke coming out from under the hood. After pulling over and popping the hood the whole engine was smoking and the car was leaking oil down on the road. Got a tow truck and shipped her on back to the dealership, and she is waiting on word of what is going on sometime tommorow. I guess the thing was 3 quarts low when the tow truck showed up and it was incapable of holding any oil, it would just pour down on the floor after putting it in. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I have gotten the check oil light in my cls63 before and added oil myself, and now this makes me nervous. I am wondering if oil was added unneccesarily and if that caused a hose to burst or some kind of pressure build up. Just giving everyong a heads up, if you get the oil message, be careful.

The only thing I can add is that I have found that if you check the oil level immediately after running the vehicle, the level will appear to be low on the stick (actually looks like it might be down a quart )...........however, if you let the vehicle sit for 30 min. or so the oil flows back to the pan and the level reads full! So.........the "overfill" situation might be possible.