MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Wow, its stunning.

M
Old 09-19-2007, 12:40 AM

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
19 X3, 24 Tacoma Trailhunter, 25 CLE53
Looks great. Pewter is my favorite color.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
congrats. pewter was my first choice but it was really difficult to find with the rear seat entertainment and full black leather. if i had dropped full leather earlier i could have got it but i changed my mind too late. i love how pewter changes color with the sun and how it should be easier to maintain than black. but when a black and ash showed up at the dealer i threw practically out the window. although ash is going to also be tough to maintain, looking at the cool grey interior from outside of the slick black exterior sold me.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How to...

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
The fender flares are unique to the GL550. If you wanted to install them you would have to also do the front bumber. I also think the back would create a problem or too also. I don't even know if there is a part # since they are factory installed in the production process.
It appears that the front bumper is the same on the sides; just different in the center to accomodate the grill? In that case, the fender flares might fit.

As for getting part numbers, I did the following to order chrome roof rails. I found someone who had the Premier Edition GL (which came with chrome roof rails from factory). I provided their VIN number to my parts counter & asked them that I wanted to get the roof rails as a replacement part (NOT as an accessory) for that vehicle. It took them a week to come back with a part number.

Remember, anything that comes from factory should also be replacable (what if the owner damaged that part somehow?). It just wont be available as an accessory but will always be available as a replacement part.

I need to do the same for the fender flares or look for Brabus perhaps?

How many pieces make up each flare?
Old 09-19-2007, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by 03LX470
It appears that the front bumper is the same on the sides; just different in the center to accomodate the grill? In that case, the fender flares might fit.

As for getting part numbers, I did the following to order chrome roof rails. I found someone who had the Premier Edition GL (which came with chrome roof rails from factory). I provided their VIN number to my parts counter & asked them that I wanted to get the roof rails as a replacement part (NOT as an accessory) for that vehicle. It took them a week to come back with a part number.

Remember, anything that comes from factory should also be replacable (what if the owner damaged that part somehow?). It just wont be available as an accessory but will always be available as a replacement part.

You have done your homework well..:-) It looks like at least two pieces for both the front and the rear.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:10 AM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2005 M3, 2006 A3
Could you please publish those part numbers? Thanks.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:14 PM

E55
Great pics and camera work

Wow that color is beautiful and great camera work! Congrats!
Old 09-24-2007, 03:30 PM

2014 GL 450
Love the color! I bought my GL off the lot & the Capri Blue one had the options I wanted, so I bought it, but the silver is very classy and elegant looking.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:40 PM

2001 BMW 540i/6-speed, 2008 GL550
Thanks to all for the kind comments. I love the Pewter, but the lines of the GL really complement every color I have seen.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Need more pics, Raj. Come on doc
Old 09-25-2007, 01:30 PM

E320 & GL450
More Pictures

It would be great if you could provide a picture of the interior showing the dash like Nevada jack's picture of his ride from the middle seats looking forward. I have my gl on order in pewter and black, expecting delivery in early November(over 60 days lead time!). But now we are having second thoughts about choosing macadamia like yours. Your pictures were spectacular and we are in salivation, anticipatory mode for sure! So, with a little time under the belt, I would like some insight from you as to the interior color you chose- is it easy to keep clean? Do you have a dog and how does that show up? Our black lab sheds like crazy and that is why we were going black this time. Thanks!
Old 09-25-2007, 02:10 PM

MB
Originally Posted by tm4exc
It would be great if you could provide a picture of the interior showing the dash like Nevada jack's picture of his ride from the middle seats looking forward. I have my gl on order in pewter and black, expecting delivery in early November(over 60 days lead time!). But now we are having second thoughts about choosing macadamia like yours. Your pictures were spectacular and we are in salivation, anticipatory mode for sure! So, with a little time under the belt, I would like some insight from you as to the interior color you chose- is it easy to keep clean? Do you have a dog and how does that show up? Our black lab sheds like crazy and that is why we were going black this time. Thanks!
I think I may be able to help. I took delivery of a White/Macadamia GL550 about a month ago. Some pictures are posted on one of the recent threads. I have 2 young children (no dogs yet) and the interior has held up well so far. I like that it lightens the interior in a vehicle this big. Cleaning the seats has not been an issue. The floor carpeting is a potential problem especially in your case with a black dog. I went with black floor mats which look great and contrast nicely. My greatest concern is the driver's area, where I expect scuffing of the center tunnel and especially the dead pedal area. This is unfortunately fabric covered rather than rubber/metal. Congrats on your order, it's certainly worth the wait!
Old 09-25-2007, 02:20 PM

I'll get to work on the pics.

We've only had the GL for a week, but I'll offer my thoughts. The Mac interior is going to be harder to keep clean than the black, no doubt. However, our kids are a little older (17,13, and 11) so we should be OK. Our dog is a Maltese, which doesn't really shed. I am getting the Berber mats from Qualitycarmats.com, including 2nd and 3rd row runners as well as an extension on the driver's mat for the left footrest, so the extra coverage will help. I'll try to borrow an all-weather mat from the MB dealer to see if there is any way to put that under the Berber mat, perhaps by cutting out a hole for the mounting post. It would be nice to have the raised lip of the all-weather mat. However, I prefer the feel of carpet under my feet so I'll go with only carpets if the "stacking" idea doesn't work. The leather will also require more upkeep, but folks on this board have used the interior cleaner from Griot's with good results, so I'll try that.

I mentioned the possibility of the black interior to my wife, but she wanted something lighter for the NC summers. Also, although the black is very elegant, it is a bit monochromatic. I find the varied earthy hues in the Mac interior to be quite attractive. And just like light paint will make a room seem larger, the lighter interior feels a bit more open to me (purely subjective). Bottom line, each color has its pros and cons but they all look good.

Last edited by sraj; 09-25-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:47 PM

Numerous GL550 pictures including Pewter/Mac, at this site:

http://www.autospies.com/news/The-ul...gallery-18835/
Old 09-25-2007, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by sraj
Numerous GL550 pictures including Pewter/Mac, at this site
Correct, Raj. But we want to the see the beauty that is in your garage. You don't post a couple of teaser pics of that gorgeous Pewter and then point us to autospies. No, Sirree, Raj.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:13 PM

E320 & GL450
Originally Posted by sraj
I'll get to work on the pics.

We've only had the GL for a week, but I'll offer my thoughts. The Mac interior is going to be harder to keep clean than the black, no doubt. However, our kids are a little older (17,13, and 11) so we should be OK. Our dog is a Maltese, which doesn't really shed. I am getting the Berber mats from Qualitycarmats.com, including 2nd and 3rd row runners as well as an extension on the driver's mat for the left footrest, so the extra coverage will help. I'll try to borrow an all-weather mat from the MB dealer to see if there is any way to put that under the Berber mat, perhaps by cutting out a hole for the mounting post. It would be nice to have the raised lip of the all-weather mat. However, I prefer the feel of carpet under my feet so I'll go with only carpets if the "stacking" idea doesn't work. The leather will also require more upkeep, but folks on this board have used the interior cleaner from Griot's with good results, so I'll try that.

I mentioned the possibility of the black interior to my wife, but she wanted something lighter for the NC summers. Also, although the black is very elegant, it is a bit monochromatic. I find the varied earthy hues in the Mac interior to be quite attractive. And just like light paint will make a room seem larger, the lighter interior feels a bit more open to me (purely subjective). Bottom line, each color has its pros and cons but they all look good.
Raj:

Thanks for the thoughts and logic. Very kind. We are going back to the dealer tomorrow to relook since we live in California ( Solvang) we probably have the same heat buildup and glare issues(why we got the IR reflecting glass in the first place). I also think the burl walnut shows up better with the lighter interior. Need to convince other buyer(spouse) that the dog is an issue we can deal with.

Thanks again,

Jim
Old 09-25-2007, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by oknish
Correct, Raj. But we want to the see the beauty that is in your garage. You don't post a couple of teaser pics of that gorgeous Pewter and then point us to autospies. No, Sirree, Raj.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Do you have any pictures of it not in any dramatic lighting?

I love how it looks in the first picture like a deep, luscious, wet silver/grey.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:14 PM

2014 GL 450
Need to convince other buyer(spouse) that the dog is an issue we can deal with.

Thanks again,

Jim

Hi Jim-

I have 2 Labs (a black & a chocolate) who ride with me in my GL (Capri Blue/Ash). I do keep them confined to the rear cargo area & they are blocked off by the screen that attaches to the ceiling & secures in the d-rings in the cargo area.

I have the Weathertec cargo mat in the back and the hair comes right off of that. Yes, some hair does stick on the fabric on the interior sides, but it does vacuum right off (using a lint roller or sticky tape does a good job too). I like the contrast of the white stitching on the black interior, but I was concerned about heat buildup with the black interior (I live in southern California).
Old 09-25-2007, 05:53 PM

E320 & GL450
Thanks Jen!!
Jim
Old 09-25-2007, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB
I have the Weathertec cargo mat in the back and the hair comes right off of that.
Jen,

You're going to think I'm an idiot, but does your Weathertec cover the entire cargo area with the 3rd row folded down? If so, can I get the model/part# from you? I'm sure it's posted elsewhere, but I am rather lazy tonight.

When I left home two Sunday's ago, my GL only had 80 miles on it. My wife informed me tonight that she and our Bernese Mountain Dog went for a ride/hike today. I know he's get going to get his hair all over that Mac interior if I don't protect it soon.

Oh... by the way, she also told me that MY GL now has well over 100 miles on it. Nish, you were right... I should not have left my keys at home. She's getting more time in it than I. And, you should her stories about accelerating and passing up the mountain tonight. You would have thought she was driving her A6.

It's killing me that I'm not able to spend anytime with the beast. UGH!!!
Old 09-25-2007, 11:36 PM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
Jen,

You're going to think I'm an idiot, but does your Weathertec cover the entire cargo area with the 3rd row folded down? If so, can I get the model/part# from you? I'm sure it's posted elsewhere, but I am rather lazy tonight.
Not at all! The Weathertec is in 2 parts which snap together, so it does cover the entire area with the 3rd row down. If you have the 3rd row up, you can remove that section of the Weathertec & still have the other one on the exposed carpeting. I ordered it from http://www.realtruck.com/productline...ers.html#order
Old 09-25-2007, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
Oh... by the way, she also told me that MY GL now has well over 100 miles on it. Nish, you were right... I should not have left my keys at home. She's getting more time in it than I. And, you should her stories about accelerating and passing up the mountain tonight. You would have thought she was driving her A6.

It's killing me that I'm not able to spend anytime with the beast. UGH!!!
Brian - it is her car till it needs work or if something pops up that interrupts. Then it's your car and, of course, you have to make sure payments are made on time too. She can't be bothered with those.

BTW, I think Jen and I have the same WeatherTech cargo liner. I got mine from AutoSports Catalog. Their part # is 2513 and you get it in Black, Ash, and Mac. Link I really like Autosport's 120 days money back guarantee.

Last edited by oknish; 09-25-2007 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:45 PM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel

Did you ever come up with the part number for the chrome roof rails?
Old 10-13-2007, 11:34 AM

BMW 335 Conv.; MB GL 320CDI
SRAJ-Pewter-Dealer

I didn't catch who your dealer is other than you reside in NC. I am taking delivery in Raleigh in several weeks from Leith MB.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First pictures of our Pewter GL550