Any Negatives to the GL?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by ReachWest
Maybe the mirror dip is a special add-on for us Canadians!
Apparently our Northern Brethren need all the help they can get
Old 09-27-2007, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by ReachWest
I know the Canadian configuration is different...
Right! We do not get a dipping mirror. We don't get tire pressure readouts, either! Only a cheesy "one of your 4 tires is low" light.

Oh, you can add the TPMS to my "things I don't like" list.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Dipping right rear view mirror...

Okay...I have stayed out of this (except to buy some popcorn) but I HAVE the right view mirror feature!

Don't ask me how I have it other than I asked Greg (my sales rep) to see if it could be activated. When he delivered the truck he said notice the dip in the mirror when you put the car in reverse. He smiled broadly... He doesn't know the procedure but one of the techs at his dealership knows.

So all I can suggest is that you contact your dealers service department and get the smartest tech available and tell them you want your right rear view mirror to dip when you put the car in R. It can be done. My truck was build in late August.

As far as looking for negatives about the GL, I don't have time to go through that exercise since I am having too much fun enjoying the things I like about it....
Old 09-27-2007, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I HAVE the right view mirror feature!
Allrighty then........I wonder if it is only on 550 or if recent builds of 450 have it also?
Old 09-27-2007, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by oknish
Allrighty then........I wonder if it is only on 550 or if recent builds of 450 have it also?
I have a feeling the software or firmware that controls this is common on all three models. It just takes a good tech who knows the system to activate the feature. I don't think it is standard on the 550 since I had to ask to have it activated and Greg being the person he is, followed up on it with his service department.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
I have a feeling the software or firmware that controls this is common on all three models. It just takes a good tech who knows the system to activate the feature. I don't think it is standard on the 550 since I had to ask to have it activated and Greg being the person he is, followed up on it with his service department.
I didn't realize that you asked for it to be activated. Do you still have to press the "mirror select" button for it to dip? Or does it dip automatically now?
Old 09-27-2007, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I didn't realize that you asked for it to be activated. Do you still have to press the "mirror select" button for it to dip? Or does it dip automatically now?
It dips when I put it in Reverse and returns to the memory position when I shift into D.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:53 AM
MKW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 GL450
It dips when I put it in Reverse and returns to the memory position when I shift into D.

Having twice fixed failed dip mirror motor on a prev MBZ, I don't know if I'd want to activate that mirror everytime I put it in reverse just to back out of parking space or garage .
Most MBZ used to do it ( tilt down to better see a curb when parallel parking ) only if you pushed in the right side mirror adlustment button . If you left it in center or left mirror position , it didn't tilt. So simple and logical and that's how it seems to work every other brand I've owned . Why has MBZ on it's big bulky truck 1) hidden it in software or 2) make it a feature , if accessable , one can't turn off the 95% of the time it's not needed ?
Old 09-27-2007, 01:42 PM

'12 ML350
I've asked the same question about my E63 and apparently it is a feature that can be activated by the techs through STAR.

Rumor has it that MBUSA deactivated it due to the fact they were getting an unreasonable amount of warranty claims for this feature at the dealer level because the owners did not know how to properly program/use it, e.g. with the mirror selector set to passenger.

I've my 1,000 mi check up for the car booked on Monday and have listed it as something to be corrected along with a crazy left front Parktronic sensor. Hopefully it'll be done by the time I pick up the car on Monday afternoon.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Let me correct something. I just noticed I do have to hit the passenger button and the mirror will dip in reverse and then when I put it in D, it does return to the driving position. So you do have a choice the way it is set up now.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:58 PM

GL450
Let me correct something. I just noticed I do have to hit the passenger button and the mirror will dip in reverse and then when I put it in D, it does return to the driving position. So you do have a choice the way it is set up now.
I dropped off my truck at the dealership to do the 1k inspection and get my plates mounted. When I asked about the mirror dip my service advisor first said to just make sure the passenger side mirror was selected while in reverse. He than tried going into the menu via the steering wheel controls to change it but couldn't do it immediately. He promised he will do it for me. I'm glad you have the option of it not dipping though while in reverse.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:05 PM

GL450
one more annoyance

I'm used to having the volume control on the steering wheel on the left hands side. It's on the right side of the GL450. So when my cell phone rings on my right side, I can't use my left hand to reduce the volume. My Honda and old BMWs had it on the left hand side.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by 85mm
I'm used to having the volume control on the steering wheel on the left hands side. It's on the right side of the GL450. So when my cell phone rings on my right side, I can't use my left hand to reduce the volume. My Honda and old BMWs had it on the left hand side.
+1 Same with the turn signal/cruise stalks being reversed. Annoying when going from one car to the other.

I assume you don't have bluetooth for your phone?
Old 09-27-2007, 08:40 PM
MKW

08 GL450
Originally Posted by rkao
Rumor has it that MBUSA deactivated it due to the fact they were getting an unreasonable amount of warranty claims for this feature at the dealer level because the owners did not know how to properly program/use it, e.g. with the mirror selector set to passenger.

. Hopefully it'll be done by the time I pick up the car on Monday afternoon.

I used it correctly on prev MBZ and it still failed twice. Maybe if they paid the supplier 50 cent more per unit, they would have built the motor with stronger gears or something.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:07 PM

2008 GL450 / 1999 ML320
As does mine on my August build GL450.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:18 PM

2008 GL450 / 1999 ML320
OK - just read this post by Nevada Jack and ran out to my GL450 to check - sure enough NJ is correct - I had not noticed this, previously. Select the drivers side mirror (on the drivers door - red selector light turns on) and the mirror dip does not function. Select the passenger side mirror and the mirror dip function works.

I have read the owners manual pretty extensively and don't recall seeing reference to this mirror dip anywhere. (possibly I missed it.) Anyway I like this subtle little feature and the fact that it can be activated or deactivated so easily is great.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:40 PM

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Rolls Royce Wraith, 1999 CLK Cabriolet, 2023 Genesis G90
Originally Posted by dsunnym1
What type of mirrors did you buy and where??
Here are a couple of quick pictures I took of the wide-angle mirrors I mentioned in my post. I think I bought them at either AutoZone or Discount Auto Parts. Not very expensive at all, but they work quite well. I never have to dip the passenger side mirror in reverse, as I can clearly see the curb on both mirrors, and lane changes are very easy as well. No turning the head to look. BTW, the dip feature that works with the passenger-side mirror button is not new. I have it on my 99 CLK, and I'm pretty sure it predates that car by a few years. Sorry for the fuzziness of the Right mirror picture. I forgot to set the IS on the camera.
Attached Thumbnails Any Negatives to the GL?-mirrorl.jpg   Any Negatives to the GL?-mirrorr.jpg  
Old 09-27-2007, 10:10 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by boxboss
+1 Same with the turn signal/cruise stalks being reversed. Annoying when going from one car to the other.

I assume you don't have bluetooth for your phone?
I have a treo with bluetooth and was never that happy with my first experience with a headset. I might get an iphone soon so I'm holding off on getting bluetooth gear for the truck.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:13 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by Kar don
Is that pen from the parking spot @ LAX? Looks just like their logo...
That's a ZIG pen sold an fine stores like mine : )
Old 09-27-2007, 10:27 PM

I have a treo with bluetooth and was never that happy with my first experience with a headset. I might get an iphone soon so I'm holding off on getting bluetooth gear for the truck.
What I was trying to say was that if you have your phone connected to the GL via BT, it will mute the volume for you when a call comes in - no need to fiddle with the reversed volume switches to turn your audio volume down.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:30 PM

GL450
What I was trying to say was that if you have your phone connected to the GL via BT, it will mute the volume for you when a call comes in - no need to fiddle with the reversed volume switches to turn your audio volume down.
Nice to know it does that. But I'd still need to buy a $300+ adapter for my type of phone right?
Old 09-27-2007, 10:42 PM

Nice to know it does that. But I'd still need to buy a $300+ adapter for my type of phone right?
Not really. The BT module (the "puck" - fits in the upper console compartment) will allow the GL to connect to any BT phone. Your ability to use your phone's features will depend on the model of the phone and the "puck" you buy. Most of us have the older version, but a newer one (I don't have the part number, but it has been posted) is available that allows full function with more phones.

Edit: You will need to buy the puck, but it is not specific for a given type of phone.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:14 PM

GL450

Edit: You will need to buy the puck, but it is not specific for a given type of phone.
Got it! Thank you. So much good info here.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Boss - good to see you back. Hope all is well.

85 - listen to Boss. He didn't get to be a Boss without knowing his stuff
Old 09-28-2007, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
I thought everyone knew that about the mirrors, even my "old" CLK does this. Don't you just love a Mercedes for all the little details!

M

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any Negatives to the GL?