MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Any Negatives to the GL?

What about the GL, do you not like????
Old 09-24-2007, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
There's really not a lot to dislike on the GL's. It is really a great car/truck and drives as good as anything I have owned. My only complaints are the stereo system (it's ok but nothing special) and the seats could be little more comfortable (I have the standard seats). These are really only minor complaints and in no way would affect me from buying another one. Assuming it proves reliable over the next three to four years I will most likely get another one.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:52 PM

GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
One more thing, having the battery under the passenger seat doesn't thrill me either...........
Old 09-24-2007, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by StephenK
What about the GL, do you not like????
At this point in time I have no complaints. Went from a S550 to the GL and I am perfectly content. I miss some of the goodie features on the S Class but not enough to bother me.

The ride is much better than I had expected. The fit and finish is the best and the quality of the components is excellent. All in all a great Mercedes Benz product...I am well pleased!
Old 09-24-2007, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL 450
I'm very happy with the ride of the GL. I do wish the seats had a heat/cool option instead of just heat. I also wish the center console was a bit larger. I had a Ford Expedition before the GL and the center console was great. I don't think the sound system is anything to write home about, either.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:01 PM

1992 500E, 2006 E500, 2007 GL 450
My GL feels tippy in turns and feels sloppy in lane changes. My 450 does not have ADSII, in my view it really needs ADSII and it should be standard. My wife, the pricipal driver, thinks it feels fine.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
1. I have the "multi contour seats" and they are not much more comfortable than the standard seats

2. The Nav system is minimal compared to some others out there

Aside from the above.........it is the finest AWD suv I have owned ( many )in both functionality and quality
Old 09-24-2007, 05:37 PM

2001 BMW 540i/6-speed, 2008 GL550
Have only had it for a week, totally impressed except for:

1) needs seat ventilation
2) also would like solar glass option in GL550
3) not much storage space
4) Sirius sound quality not so good (but my iPod sounds great; haven't listened to CD's)
5) still getting used to steering; effort is light like a luxury car, but seems to be pretty responsive and precise
Old 09-24-2007, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by sraj
not much storage space
  1. Look under the floor behind 3 row seat and you will find a cavernous spare tire compartment. I have a bunch stowed in there.
  2. In the rear, behind the driver's side 3rd row seat, open the "First Aid" compartment. Some room there.
  3. All doors have pockets that can handle a bunch.
  4. Compared to my Prelude, the jockey box is monstrous
Old 09-24-2007, 06:15 PM

2008 GL550 Obsidian Black/Black
I was surprised it doesn't have childproof doorlocks. My 5year old daughter is able to open the door from her car seat easily.She was never able to do that on my Range Rover. I know is not mandatory to have such locks but MB should have known that the GL would be a "family" car (meaning kids).
Old 09-24-2007, 06:38 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by axchung
I was surprised it doesn't have childproof doorlocks. My 5year old daughter is able to open the door from her car seat easily.She was never able to do that on my Range Rover. I know is not mandatory to have such locks but MB should have known that the GL would be a "family" car (meaning kids).
I was looking for the switch on the door myself the other day and was also surprised it wasn't there. I figured there was some electronic feature I needed to read on. How could they leave this out on a mom-mobile?

Back to the original question. I love this car but have raised a couple things I hope MB looks into in the future when compared to my economy car.

1. Nav needs updating. It's slow, needs thouch screen, and should be a little easier to use. I really like how it doesn't make you push an 'ok' button before every start up though.

2. Needs more bins for my sunglasses, wallet, cell phone, pile of napkins for the kids, transponder and spare change. It all fits in the arm rest but it's hard to dig stuff out while driving.

3. ipod integration sound quality is not good.

4. satelite radio reception is ok

5. rear seat entertainment controls is tough for toddlers

6. i wish the bugaboo could fit upright without being disassembled.

7. if you wear jeans often, get the black interior. our ash gets stained quickly and needs frequent washing.

Back to some pluses. I love how safe I feel when our family rides in it. Beautiful design. Comfortable ride. Great power. My wife and I always say how much we like driving it.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:55 PM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by axchung
Yikes! We're considering a GL in a few months but this piece of news is not a welcomed one...can it be true?

We have a toddler and if she can open the door from her seat then we're in trouble...
Old 09-24-2007, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Child Lock Details

This subject has come up before also and if you do a search on it you will see a wealth of information.

I also have young kids and this was a great concern to me too when we got the GL. However, IMO, this concern is alleviated in the GL design. What happens is that if doors are locked (lock knob pressed down) then rear doors cannot be opened from the inside. There is a dash menu setting that allows doors to be locked automatically and it locks doors when you go over 10 MPH. So what happens is that doors lock automatically and then they cannot be opened from inside in the rear. To unlock, a front door has to be opened or car has to be centrally unlocked from the front. This effectively prevents little ones from opening the doors when car is in motion.

As I understand, the reason for this is safety (believe it or not). So, in case (God forbid) someone is in a wreck with people in the back then they can let themselves out without waiting for someone else to come open the door. And, yes, door locks do open automatically in such cases.

Hope that helps a bit for those of you with young 'uns and GLs.

It also helps if kids are aware of why they shouldn't open the doors. Ever.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rkao
Yikes! We're considering a GL in a few months but this piece of news is not a welcomed one...can it be true?

We have a toddler and if she can open the door from her seat then we're in trouble...
Do a search on childproof door locks. This has been discussed and I just cannot remember the outcome or the reason. However, you can lock all the doors automatically or with the switch on the drivers door.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:26 PM

08 S-550 & 08 GL-550
550 is a great vehicale.

The only complaits i have are as follow,

Previouslly owning a 06 Range Rover
I have to say that the Rover had the following
over the 550

1. Not happy with the way the 550 handles the bumps and
pot holes.....The Rover cushioned these with its air suspension where the
550 handles them more like a car then a SUV .

2.with heavy rains here in Florida the Rover felt much
more safe then the 550..... With the Rover hydroplating
was non existing! Hitting a heavy puddle with the 550 again feels more as if it
were a sedan then a SUV.

Mercedes did a tramendous job with the 550
but I thik they might have made it drive and act a bit

too much like a car IMO.......after all its suppose to be a SUV !
Old 09-24-2007, 10:43 PM

2008 GL450 / 1999 ML320
I've only had my GL450 for a week and so far there is a whole lot to like.

Positives:
• Agree with Nevada Jack, fit and finish is first class.
• Ride is fabulous. City and Hwy. (Like the ADS to adjust ride feel)
• Great body design (its subjective, but I really like it)
• Integrated running boards are the best I've seen or had on any SUV.
• Power - I've got the GL450 and its got ample power for my needs.
• Interior comfort is first class - best SUV I've had.

Couple of Minor Negatives:
• No block heater (big deal for me).
• Visibility while backing-up is not great. Back-up camera helps alot.

Last edited by ReachWest; 09-24-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 GLS450, 2015 E250BT 4Matic, 2007 GL320CDI, 2005 SLK350, 2001 SLK320
I wish it had ventilated seats. The NAV is only OK but voice control helps.

On the plus side, it's quiet and comfortable on the highway. I was reminded of this fact when driving my SLK350 for 220 highway miles today. Man, the SLK was noisy at 70 mph! I've been spoiled by the GL at highway speeds and never realized how quiet it rides.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:34 PM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Pros
Feels like a truck, drives like more like a car.
Transmission is silky smooth.
Power to fuel economy is exceptional.
A real pleasure to drive.
Trim and finish is exquisite, inside and out.
Very roomy in all three seats.

Cons
TPMS (USA) does not give tire pressure, it only alerts you if there is a drop in pressure.
Side Mirrors are too small.
iPod integration is through the DIC not the command center.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:35 PM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by mbslk350
On the plus side, it's quiet and comfortable on the highway. I was reminded of this fact when driving my SLK350 for 220 highway miles today. Man, the SLK was noisy at 70 mph! I've been spoiled by the GL at highway speeds and never realized how quiet it rides.
I had a C230 the other week as a loaner from my dealership and was surprised at how much more road noise I heard in that car vs. my GL.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:18 AM

2008 GL450 / 1999 ML320
Originally Posted by BeanCounter
One more thing, having the battery under the passenger seat doesn't thrill me either...........
I wan't aware that the battery was under the seat until I read this post. I just thumbed through that section of the user manual and am amazed at how "unfriendly" battery access sounds to be. (It mentions cutting the carpet to pull the carpet back under the seat.)

I guess MB figures you shouldn't need to ever access the battery. For me it will have to be something done by MB service.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ReachWest
I wan't aware that the battery was under the seat until I read this post. I just thumbed through that section of the user manual and am amazed at how "unfriendly" battery access sounds to be. (It mentions cutting the carpet to pull the carpet back under the seat.)

I guess MB figures you shouldn't need to ever access the battery. For me it will have to be something done by MB service.
A Tip: if you have a battery problem call teleaid (or call the 800 #) and tell them you need on-site service of your battery. When they come to the house under the 24 hour emergency service, you do not get charged for labor, just a new battery. If you take it in or have it towed in, then they will charge you labor as well as for the battery...:-)
Old 09-25-2007, 11:59 AM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Do a search on childproof door locks. This has been discussed and I just cannot remember the outcome or the reason. However, you can lock all the doors automatically or with the switch on the drivers door.
Thanks NJ, will look into it.

According to oknish's post, if the doors are locked then the rear doors cannot be unlocked from the rear seating positions unless one of the front doors were open or if unlocked centrally - that would definitely lay the issue to rest if true.

I'll do a search...
Old 09-25-2007, 12:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
19 MB G63, '18 RR Dawn, '15 RR ATB LWB, '14/'08 MB GL550, '11 MB CL63 AMG, '11 X5 50i etc etc
Finally thought of a negative to GL550.. Cost of filling up can be about 80bucks and I'm getting only 13mpg... This MB primo ride thing ain't for the "faint of heart"
Old 09-25-2007, 12:42 PM

06 CLS500
hehe... thats why I opted for the 320. I'd love to have the 550, but the 30,000+ miles a year I put on mine, it would kill me.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:18 PM

2008 GL550 Obsidian Black/Black
Originally Posted by oknish
This subject has come up before also and if you do a search on it you will see a wealth of information.

I also have young kids and this was a great concern to me too when we got the GL. However, IMO, this concern is alleviated in the GL design. What happens is that if doors are locked (lock knob pressed down) then rear doors cannot be opened from the inside. There is a dash menu setting that allows doors to be locked automatically and it locks doors when you go over 10 MPH. So what happens is that doors lock automatically and then they cannot be opened from inside in the rear. To unlock, a front door has to be opened or car has to be centrally unlocked from the front. This effectively prevents little ones from opening the doors when car is in motion.

As I understand, the reason for this is safety (believe it or not). So, in case (God forbid) someone is in a wreck with people in the back then they can let themselves out without waiting for someone else to come open the door. And, yes, door locks do open automatically in such cases.

Hope that helps a bit for those of you with young 'uns and GLs.

It also helps if kids are aware of why they shouldn't open the doors. Ever.
Wow, oknish is right on the money.As soon as i read his post i went out to check and once the doors are locked, the rear doors can not be opened from the inside. I realized that the times my daughter opened the door was after i parked and went around to take her out. I thought MB designers overlooked this issue, i take it back, they are brilliant!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any Negatives to the GL?