GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Any Negatives to the GL?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 08:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oknish
Boss - good to see you back. Hope all is well.

85 - listen to Boss. He didn't get to be a Boss without knowing his stuff
Old 09-29-2007, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500, ML350, 2 GL550's (on order)
Originally Posted by neodoc
As far as the mirrors are concerned, I found a set of nice stick-on wide angle mirrors that mimic the shape of the larger mirrors and are quite helpful without looking cheesy. I essentially have no blind spots and parking is a breeze. I've gotten so used to using them that I don't think I even look at the image on the large mirrors at all.
I agree completely. I use the stick on convex mirrors on all of our cars, especially the SUV's. Some are a bit plasticy or metallic, but some look quite nice. They can be found at any auto parts store; shop around and you can find a set that will look nice on your car. I personally prefer the round shaped ones. They are a life saver.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:07 PM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by Dodson
I agree completely. I use the stick on convex mirrors on all of our cars, especially the SUV's. Some are a bit plasticy or metallic, but some look quite nice. They can be found at any auto parts store; shop around and you can find a set that will look nice on your car. I personally prefer the round shaped ones. They are a life saver.
Wonder if the GL's are available in Europe with the convex mirrors that used to be on C-class when I rented them through Hertz in Germany. They were convex on the inner third of the mirror and eliminated blind spots while allowing excellent vision on the outer portion of the mirror.

I know through BMW you could order these mirrors if you had the part number but wonder if possible with MB?

There is a website for BMW OE parts called RealOEM and I wish we had something similar for MBs to do our own research.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:03 PM

c230 kompresor
Talking Lucky Canucks

The mirror dip is great! It allows me to parallel park my 320Ml with ease without damaging those expensive wheels on a concrete curb. I test drove both 320Ml and 320Gl before deciding to buy the Gl and had to change my order to an Ml due to a 3 month backorder of 320Gl to the Canadian market. Very happy with my Ml and love the mileage it can get. I did a road trip to Calgary from Vancouver nearly 1000km on one tank of diesel! Almost 26mpg, As good as my old C230k with tons more space.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by rkao
Wonder if the GL's are available in Europe with the convex mirrors that used to be on C-class when I rented them through Hertz in Germany. They were convex on the inner third of the mirror and eliminated blind spots while allowing excellent vision on the outer portion of the mirror.
That would be real nice; one mirror that is convex in one area and flat in the other. It would probably look better to. You mention that those mirrors were convex on the inner third; that is where I place the stick on mirror. It makes it nice, because usually the part of the mirror that you use to check if someone is in the lane next to you, is the outer portion of the mirror, while the inner portion, closest to the window, goes unused.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:46 PM

2008 GL550 Obsidian Black/Black
Actually, one of the negatives is that every one that sees my GL550 wants to get one too...
Old 10-01-2007, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by rkao
I know I've seen that somewhere before (possibly on a rented car in the UK or something) and it was really easy to use, and quite useful for keeping the blind spots covered (especially with smaller mirrors - hint-hint).

Are our mirrors heated when we turn on the rear defogger/defroster? If so, what effect does that have on the stick-ons? And is there something that can be made aftermarket for our existing mirrors that would be a direct replacement for our mirrors?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:05 PM

I'm in the market and a few things that I noticed that concerned me. With 3 kids and an Aupair in tow I would prefer a split 2cd row. Also there really isn't much room for luggage at all. If the 3rd row seats are being used there is very little room. Much much less than my Honda Odyssey. There is no way two strollers and 3 suit cases fit. Just a bit surprised they couldn't find a better spot for the spare tire which is located behind the 3rd row under a hatch. I guest i can pull a Clark Grizzwald and get a luggage rack because I love everthing else about the truck
Old 10-01-2007, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by axchung
Actually, one of the negatives is that every one that sees my GL550 wants to get one too...
It's that AMG Badge effect...:-)
Old 10-01-2007, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by xmuni
If the 3rd row seats are being used there is very little room. Much much less than my Honda Odyssey. There is no way two strollers and 3 suit cases fit.
Maybe you should consider an Avalanche or Cadillac Avalanche knock off. You'll have more luggage space than you know what to do with.

Of couse, I hope you know all of this is tongue-in-cheek.

I guest i can pull a Clark Grizzwald and get a luggage rack because I love everthing else about the truck
Good solution and you'll have a place for your Aunt in case she ever dies while you are driving through Flagstaff.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:25 PM

2014 GL 450
I'm in the market and a few things that I noticed that concerned me. With 3 kids and an Aupair in tow I would prefer a split 2cd row. Also there really isn't much room for luggage at all. If the 3rd row seats are being used there is very little room. Much much less than my Honda Odyssey. There is no way two strollers and 3 suit cases fit. Just a bit surprised they couldn't find a better spot for the spare tire which is located behind the 3rd row under a hatch. I guest i can pull a Clark Grizzwald and get a luggage rack because I love everthing else about the truck
I had a Ford Expedition prior to my GL and there is actually more room in the GL with the 3rd row upright than in the Expedition.

I agree that there isn't a lot of space, so you'll probably have to make the GL into a Wagon Queen Family Truckster and go the luggage rack route.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:26 PM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
Good solution and you'll have a place for your Aunt in case she ever dies while you are driving through Flagstaff.
OMG, I LOVE that movie!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Are our mirrors heated when we turn on the rear defogger/defroster? If so, what effect does that have on the stick-ons?
I know that GL mirrors are heated automatically but haven't figured out what it takes to get them to heat up.

Driver's side mirror will be tricky to have one part convex since it has some fluid behind the surface which dims the mirror. Be interesting though if there is a replacement out there. More chances of finding something in EU than in US.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
Look, I already told the police she was sick to begin with and we weren't really fighting, no matter what that trucker saw ... wait, you're talking about a movie, aren't you?

Never mind.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Are our mirrors heated when we turn on the rear defogger/defroster? If so, what effect does that have on the stick-ons? And is there something that can be made aftermarket for our existing mirrors that would be a direct replacement for our mirrors?
I would assume that the mirrors are heated. I have had the stick-on convex mirrors on a couple full size GM trucks that had heated mirrors, with no ill effects.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:13 PM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB
I had a Ford Expedition prior to my GL and there is actually more room in the GL with the 3rd row upright than in the Expedition.

I agree that there isn't a lot of space, so you'll probably have to make the GL into a Wagon Queen Family Truckster and go the luggage rack route.
We plan to go from the LX470 to the GL in a few months when the lease ends and while the LX, especially the new LX570, is bigger than the GL and is very useful for those cottage weekends to Canada, the amount of time we use all the cargo room isn't very often. So, we've figured that the GL would be just fine for 95% of the time and for those longer trips where we've got the kid and the dogs, a good Thule carrier on top would work just fine.

Besides, the GL tows 7,500 lbs. which is even better than the LX and great for my track car/trailer combo.