GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL with bluetooth - Low volume symptom

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014-GL 450
GL with bluetooth - Low volume symptom

I have an 07 CL with 18,000 miles. Well they listened.............. and finally did got it right !
This is the first Mercedes I have ever owned which I didnt have to bring it back for numerous issues.

One observation I have which would like input from current GL owners with bluetooth. While using the telephone ( via bluetooth - SLVR ) the volume within the vehicle only goes so high and although audible , at higher speeds it can be a bit difficult to hear called party. Yes , the volume is cranked while talking and I ruled out the BT module as it was substituted with the same results. Any ideas ?
Old 10-10-2007, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by rsevinor
I have an 07 CL with 18,000 miles. Well they listened.............. and finally did got it right !
This is the first Mercedes I have ever owned which I didnt have to bring it back for numerous issues.

One observation I have which would like input from current GL owners with bluetooth. While using the telephone ( via bluetooth - SLVR ) the volume within the vehicle only goes so high and although audible , at higher speeds it can be a bit difficult to hear called party. Yes , the volume is cranked while talking and I ruled out the BT module as it was substituted with the same results. Any ideas ?
Not true for me! I sometimes actually have to turn down the volume with the BT.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GL 450
Originally Posted by rsevinor

Turn up the ear piece volume to the max on the phone. Many models, like my Blackjack set the volume over Bluetooth based on the internal speaker setting on the phone!
Old 10-10-2007, 11:43 AM

SL500, GL550, Escalade, 66 Corvette
Originally Posted by FireGuy
Turn up the ear piece volume to the max on the phone. Many models, like my Blackjack set the volume over Bluetooth based on the internal speaker setting on the phone!
I agree. I just discoved this last week. The volume setting on my iPhone will effect the volume on the BT unit.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:06 PM

2014-GL 450
blue tooth adapter with low volume

Thanks for the input - I did try to increase the volume on the motorola SLVR sliver phon and it was on max setting. Any other ideas????????????
Old 10-12-2007, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
I've had no issues with this, but played around with it the other day. Seems the phone ear piece volume will set the base sound for the BT/command system - so the sound is only as good as the volume coming from the phone. This would isolate a phone volume control issue in my mind. Might have a bad SLVR?

The command system volume can get too loud if the person on the other line is loud - so I just adjust the command volume down. My LG phone has the ear piece volume in the middle and I've got bad ears!
Old 10-15-2007, 02:25 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
The sound over the puck seems to be totally dependent on the phone used. My wife's "approved" RAZR volume is great, and i sometimes have to turn down the volume on COMAND. However, with my Treo, the volume is NEVER loud enough, even with COMAND and Treo volume all the way up...i have to turn the damn blower motor down to use the phone; it's a tradeoff for using my Treo, i guess, until Apple can get Exchange supported on an iPhone and i upgrade.

Interestingly, in my wife's E500, which is an 04 with puck with tail system, my phone's volume is PERFECT.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by carpersn
The sound over the puck seems to be totally dependent on the phone used. My wife's "approved" RAZR volume is great, and i sometimes have to turn down the volume on COMAND. However, with my Treo, the volume is NEVER loud enough, even with COMAND and Treo volume all the way up...i have to turn the damn blower motor down to use the phone; it's a tradeoff for using my Treo, i guess, until Apple can get Exchange supported on an iPhone and i upgrade.

Interestingly, in my wife's E500, which is an 04 with puck with tail system, my phone's volume is PERFECT.
My wife's Motorola Crazr is always cear and perfect. My iPhone seems dependent on the phone volume and how loud the person is talking on the other end. My Treo and and Cingular 8125 had connection problems. The BT unit seems very picky about what type of phone it's connecting with.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Combo!

Okay so here's the deal; first and foremost, my wife's Blackberry 8830 connects with and transfers the phone book to the MB bluetooth puck, and the volume is lovely. Secondly, my LG enV (VX9900) does so as well! Hurrah! So both have good volumes and both connect. What else is it supposed to potentially be able to do, show messages? I know the Blackberry does not, but I haven't had the opportunity to check it out with the LG.

STP
Old 10-21-2007, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Okay so here's the deal; first and foremost, my wife's Blackberry 8830 connects with and transfers the phone book to the MB bluetooth puck, and the volume is lovely. Secondly, my LG enV (VX9900) does so as well! Hurrah! So both have good volumes and both connect. What else is it supposed to potentially be able to do, show messages? I know the Blackberry does not, but I haven't had the opportunity to check it out with the LG.

STP
If everything is working perfectly, you should get the address book to transfer (which sounds like you already did) plus the call history, both incoming and outgoing, as well as being able to redial any of these by selecting them on your screen. I don't think you can get any more features that that, but I've been wrong many times before.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Almost a Member!

08 MB GL 320CDI, 07 MB S550, 02 Porsche Cabriolet, 98 MB 450SL, 64 Citreon 2CV
Steve, which puck are you using for the Blackberry, the new or old part number? I have a GL coming and use a BB 8820.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:58 AM

1982 300Dt, 2021GLE53, 2013 GLK250, 2009 Smart Cabrio
I have a "non-approved" RAZR model V3c and it doesn't work very well....it connects occasionally and I get full function but then it abruptly disconnects...like it recognizes it's not one of the ones that Wireless4MB sells and then disconnects (I'm kidding). Wireless4MB states that a V3m model is the approved one. I have an e-mail into them for clarification, but looks like I might need to switch to the V3m.
Anybody have similar issues with the V3c?
Old 10-25-2007, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stlduckhunter
Steve, which puck are you using for the Blackberry, the new or old part number? I have a GL coming and use a BB 8820.
Der ... I don't know! The one they sold me. I have a sneaking suspicion it's the old one. How might one assess the model number condition thereof?
Old 10-25-2007, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by N'AWLINS
I have a "non-approved" RAZR model V3c and it doesn't work very well....it connects occasionally and I get full function but then it abruptly disconnects...like it recognizes it's not one of the ones that Wireless4MB sells and then disconnects (I'm kidding). Wireless4MB states that a V3m model is the approved one. I have an e-mail into them for clarification, but looks like I might need to switch to the V3m.
The only thing I had similar is when I switched from my old LG theV to the LG enV (weird names, I know) and my son was in the car with the old one, which then connected to the BT. When he got out, I tried to force activate my phone (by hitting the "TEL" button) and it would connect for a few moments, then disconnect. Sounds similar.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:46 PM

1982 300Dt, 2021GLE53, 2013 GLK250, 2009 Smart Cabrio
Wireless4MB never answered my e-mail, so I called. The tech asked me to check what software version I had on my V3C....she walked me thru the prompts to get to the software version on the phone.
Said mine was an old software version and it was not compatible. Phone is 1 &1/2 years old.
Well looks like I upgrade to a V3m when my Verizon contract is up in January.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Wireless4MB never answered my e-mail, so I called. The tech asked me to check what software version I had on my V3C....she walked me thru the prompts to get to the software version on the phone.
Said mine was an old software version and it was not compatible. Phone is 1 &1/2 years old.
Well looks like I upgrade to a V3m when my Verizon contract is up in January.
AWS aka Wireless4MB.com are a bunch of idiots. I would ask my neighborhood "computer guy".
Old 11-15-2007, 12:12 PM

GL 320 CDI, BMW 325i
Did you bay the cradle as an extra, or was in the car installed with the command system? The dealer ask me for $450 for this cradle, is this the price?
Old 11-15-2007, 08:35 PM

E320 & GL450
Got my BT cradle for a V3 (verizon) installed for $370 at the dealer. That should be what you pay. Get your salesman to buy and you pay him/her. Works perfectly and the volume adjusts from the wheel with the + - control. BTW, I do have voice option so that may make a difference.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:08 PM

GL 320 CDI, BMW 325i
Originally Posted by tm4exc
Got my BT cradle for a V3 (verizon) installed for $370 at the dealer. That should be what you pay. Get your salesman to buy and you pay him/her. Works perfectly and the volume adjusts from the wheel with the + - control. BTW, I do have voice option so that may make a difference.
Thank you!!! I have V3m, but from US Cellular. I hope will work too.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:57 PM

E320 & GL450
Originally Posted by Svalko
Thank you!!! I have V3m, but from US Cellular. I hope will work too.
V3m does not work with all the features as does the V3 according to the manual. V3 is outstanding and I hardly know how to operate it yet as I am 48 hours into the ownership cycle. But the voice recognition and call receipt are just great. I have programmed about 20 of the 80 voice recog. numbers into memory. Best VR I have ever had (my third try). BTW, with krazr cradle the bluetooth works great, allowing you to keep the phone in your pocket; it just works great! Keep the phone on your person for short trips and for long trips put it into the cradle for charging.