Orp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Orp

While I personally wanted the Enhanced Off-Road Package in my GL, the bigger engine and tires, combined with the changed appearance of the 550 won me over, even though I couldn't get the ORP on this model. So, now I'm curious what folks think about the Enhanced Off-Road Package for the GL line, recognizing it's only available in the 450.

Considering the consumer who purchases the GL line and how most drive the truck, I wonder if the ORP is even a necessary option at all, since it's only available on the 450 and dealers order most of those trucks without the ORP option installed. For example, what if MBUSA did away with this option completely for the entire GL line? Would this even matter to most, recognizing that the target of the GL is really the Cadillac, Lincoln, and Lexus? Or, do you think ORP is just one of those options that MB has to have, much like a Rolex has the capability to be submerged in water to a depth of 330 feet, even though probably 99.9% of the owners of a Rolex never dive to those depths, or even get the watch wet in the first place.

Just curious of folks' thoughts, considering how mine changed over time.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:15 PM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
While I personally wanted the Enhanced Off-Road Package in my GL, the bigger engine and tires, combined with the changed appearance of the 550 won me over, even though I couldn't get the ORP on this model. So, now I'm curious what folks think about the Enhanced Off-Road Package for the GL line, recognizing it's only available in the 450.

Considering the consumer who purchases the GL line and how most drive the truck, I wonder if the ORP is even a necessary option at all, since it's only available on the 450 and dealers order most of those trucks without the ORP option installed. For example, what if MBUSA did away with this option completely for the entire GL line? Would this even matter to most, recognizing that the target of the GL is really the Cadillac, Lincoln, and Lexus? Or, do you think ORP is just one of those options that MB has to have, much like a Rolex has the capability to be submerged in water to a depth of 330 feet, even though probably 99.9% of the owners of a Rolex never dive to those depths, or even get the watch wet in the first place.

Just curious of folks' thoughts, considering how mine changed over time.
JMHO. We have been a two 4WD, two diesel family for the last 10 years. One of them (mine), sees offroad duty on a daily basis. I use my 4WD many times when I could get by without it because I think it keeps things working longer. The other (hers) is almost never offroad, unless I am in it. Yet, she thinks she has to have it, and I have to admit, from a re-sale standpoint, they have done well.

The 4-Matic was a good compromise for her. She has that 4WD peace of mind, yet in reality, it far surpasses anything she will likely encounter. I suspect the same can be said for many GL's that roll off the lot. Would I have purchased the ORP if it was available? Probably. Would it be necessary? Probably not.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:19 PM

2008 GL450 / 1999 ML320
Our house is on a fairly steep hill and winter driving can get challenging. The city gave up plowing the non-main roads a few years back, so progressive dumps of snow can add up. (In winter we get entertained watching other drivers try to make it the hill - often with little success.)

I purchased the ORP on our 450 for this reason. I know it's overkill, but I wanted it. I certainly won't be "off-roading" in the traditional sense.

IMO - it's one of those things that MB probably has to have as an option.

Anyhow - I agree that 99.9% of the GL owners would really not miss having the ORP (including me). Having said that I'm looking forward to lots of snow!

Last edited by ReachWest; 10-11-2007 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:21 PM

2014 GL 450
We have an F150 4 x 4 that we use for any "serious" off roading or anything that would likely cause a scratch in the paint. For me, spending $56K on a vehicle and then taking it off road in a situation where it could get scratched just doesn't work for me. So for me, the ORP package was not something I considered, although I do like the chrome front & rear skid plates.

I had to laugh at your Rolex comparison...I'm very paranoid about getting mine wet. I keep forgetting it's rated for diving and getting water splashed on it while washing my hands won't kill it.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:35 PM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB
We have an F150 4 x 4 that we use for any "serious" off roading or anything that would likely cause a scratch in the paint. For me, spending $56K on a vehicle and then taking it off road in a situation where it could get scratched just doesn't work for me. So for me, the ORP package was not something I considered, although I do like the chrome front & rear skid plates.

I had to laugh at your Rolex comparison...I'm very paranoid about getting mine wet. I keep forgetting it's rated for diving and getting water splashed on it while washing my hands won't kill it.
I enjoyed the Rolex comparison as well. Forgot to add as a side note; the first dive watch I flooded (luckily a Citizen and not a Rolex), my watch guy said, "no matter how expensive the watch is, they all use o-rings for a seal, If the watch is valuable enough, spend the money to get the o-rings replaced periodically. If not, dive with it until it leaks, then buy a new one."
Old 10-10-2007, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
In UK (probably all Euro countries) ORP is available in all models, standard on GL500 (which is called GL550 in USA).

The dummies at MBUSA strike again.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
although I do like the chrome front & rear skid plates.
Don't think of these as skid plates. They are purely cosmetic.

In fact in Germany, they're called "optischer unterfahrshutz" which translates to "optical underride protection."

They're stainless steel and not chrome, too.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Once a month, we travel from our home in central Pa. to our vacation home in the Green Mountains of Vermont. In doing this for the past 30 years, I have always equipped our main travel vehicle with the most traction capability available. The weather from here to there can be rough at times in the winter and there is no such thing as too much capability. When I get there.......I have 3 miles of a 1 and half lane dirt road to travel. In the fall and spring it can be very muddy.....in the winter, if there is any plowing, it is done by other property owners with trucks and plows. Will I use the ORP? Most likely........ The locking diffs. can be very helpful at times and the ability to raise the vehicle is will be great. This will be my first winter with the GL, however, I have been through other winters with a Landcruiser with the locking diff. capability and know how valuable that can be. So.......would I have bought the GL450 if I could not have ordered the ORP? NO, I want the luxury, comfort and quality......but I must have the max 4X4 capability. I have the feeling that this GL is going to be the best of many vehicles I have had...........would I ever take it "rock crawling" or something like that? NO

Last edited by blittle; 10-11-2007 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by blittle
The locking diffs. can be very helpful at times and the ability to raise the vehicle is will be great.
I can lift my 320 and I do not have the ORP (which sounds like some kind of alien pet, actually). Is there an ability to lift your vehicle beyond what I can because you DO have the ORP?
Old 10-11-2007, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
I can lift my 320 and I do not have the ORP (which sounds like some kind of alien pet, actually). Is there an ability to lift your vehicle beyond what I can because you DO have the ORP?

Yup.....the ORP comes with the ability to raise the vehicle in 3 stages up to 4in. above standard height......more than the standard airmatic system allows on the 320 450 or 550. That ability plus the locking diffs. can make a big difference in deep snow or mud. The low range that comes with ORP is probably something I will never use.........that really is for "rock crawling," etc. and I can't imagine anybody putting a GL through that.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:28 PM

SL500, GL550, Escalade, 66 Corvette
I would have considered thr ORP if it was available, but I probably wouldn't have ever used it. The 4-wheel drive, however, was an absolute must because of the snow on Doner Pass in the winter.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just don't wear the Rolex in a hot tub The hot water can cause the seals to move and it will leak.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:08 AM

2014 GL 450
Just don't wear the Rolex in a hot tub The hot water can cause the seals to move and it will leak.
Thanks! Nope, I never wear the Rolex in the Jacuzzi. I actually do not like even wearing a watch. It comes off the minute I walk in the door from work.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:23 AM

MB
I had a G500 and used the diff locks only on one occasion. I also live in the hills where the roads are poorly plowed and am an active skier, so my cars see plenty of winter driving. By the same token, my wife's E500 4-matic wagon has never gotten stuck either.

For these reasons I am fully confident in the GL550's abilities for all-weather driving. I would like to have the peace of mind of the ORP if available but do not think it is a necessity unless planning to drive off-road. My only real concern with the vehicle as outfitted would be the tires' capabilities.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

All wheel drive vehicles that use a computer to control wheel spin ( (to provide the effect of a locking diff.) are great to a point..........that point is when you are on a snow covered muddy uphill road and lose traction on one or more wheels - the computer applies the brake on the spinning wheel(s) to allow the wheel(s) on the other side to keep turning BUT if they also spin the computer will then stop them and now allow the original spinning wheel(s) to attempt to get traction.......this can go back and forth with the end result the vehicle does not move. With the diffs. locked, power will be applied evenly to both axles AND both rear wheels will turn no matter what. increasing the probablity that you will not lose momentum ....... anything that increases that probability is important to me.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:31 AM

MB
All wheel drive vehicles that use a computer to control wheel spin ( (to provide the effect of a locking diff.) are great to a point..........that point is when you are on a snow covered muddy uphill road and lose traction on one or more wheels - the computer applies the brake on the spinning wheel(s) to allow the wheel(s) on the other side to keep turning BUT if they also spin the computer will then stop them and now allow the original spinning wheel(s) to attempt to get traction.......this can go back and forth with the end result the vehicle does not move. With the diffs. locked, power will be applied evenly to both axles AND both rear wheels will turn no matter what. increasing the probablity that you will not lose momentum ....... anything that increases that probability is important to me.
This is true to a point. The AWD system controls traction by differential torque application while ESP adds braking to facilitate yaw control and wheel slippage. In most settings if wheel "lock down" is occuring, disabling ESP will alleviate the situation.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by emayer
This is true to a point. The AWD system controls traction by differential torque application while ESP adds braking to facilitate yaw control and wheel slippage. In most settings if wheel "lock down" is occuring, disabling ESP will alleviate the situation.

Correct.........given that my maximum speed on the previously described road will be about 15mph,one of the first things I do is turn off the ESP function as it not only applies braking but can reduce throttle as well which can reduce forward momentum right at a point when you do not want to do that. ESP is most beneficial in situations involving higher speed.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Correct.........given that my maximum speed on the previously described road will be about 15mph,one of the first things I do is turn off the ESP function as it not only applies braking but can reduce throttle as well which can reduce forward momentum right at a point when you do not want to do that. ESP is most beneficial in situations involving higher speed.
So that's what the ESP button is for. I guess that makes up in some small portion (small, that is!) for no ORP.

STP