GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Roof Rail Removal ????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63, GL450, Panamera S, lots of little British leakers
Roof Rail Removal ????

Has anyone successfully removed their GL's roof rails and found an MB part to fill the slots?

I realize the headliner probably has to come down to access all the bolts.

To me, roof rails scream "big SUV" just as sliding rear side doors shout "minivan". I'm not intending to hoist anything up on the roof, so I want them gone.

Hopefully, the highway "wind whistle" will disappear with them.

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:33 PM

GL320 CDI, SL550
This does not totally adress your question but I took the crossbars off and the look seems to be more streamlined, and the wind noise has gone down quite a bit...This is my first SUV and I was like you and thought the rails made the GL look bulky...
Old 11-01-2007, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLE 350 W4, 2016 C 300, 2012 E 350 W4 Lux, 2006 ML 350
I don't think the roof rails generate much wind noise unless you have cross bars. There must be a way to take them off if they bother you but it probably isn't easy. I'm sure a dealer would be willing to charge you an armand a leg to do it. Why not ask. WOrth a phone call. Sorry, I know... I'm no help

Last edited by paulybagadonuts; 11-01-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
Originally Posted by Wigwam
This does not totally adress your question but I took the crossbars off and the look seems to be more streamlined, and the wind noise has gone down quite a bit...This is my first SUV and I was like you and thought the rails made the GL look bulky...
+1 if you have cross bars remove those that will help with noise. I actually like the long rails . makes it look sporty.. I think it will look weird without the rails.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:23 PM
MKW

08 GL450
I can't see how removing the longitudinal rails would reduce the SUV effect appreciably . When it's been done on various SUVs with suspension lowering and body kits and big wheels , they ended up looking like big station wagons , almost like an ..ugggh... Chrysler Pacifica , so now you have another " image " problem, IMO !
Old 11-03-2007, 11:28 AM

2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
Originally Posted by Wigwam
Keeping the crossbars off is a very good idea when you are not hauling as it does drop your mpg considerably. Our XC90 gets 2-3 mpg's better when the crossbars are off.

Regarding taking the rails off....I would tend to agree with MKW on that one!

BJ
Old 11-03-2007, 09:07 PM

1972 Chevy Vega 2300 - Panel Express
Originally Posted by BJ021
Keeping the crossbars off is a very good idea when you are not hauling as it does drop your mpg considerably. Our XC90 gets 2-3 mpg's better when the crossbars are off.

Regarding taking the rails off....I would tend to agree with MKW on that one!

BJ
Not to rain on this parade of ideas, but you must consider that the GL was designed, tested and certified with the roof rails. As such, it is considered a "structural item". Any removal of such an item will immediately void the manufacturer warantee.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by GL Fahrer
Not to rain on this parade of ideas, but you must consider that the GL was designed, tested and certified with the roof rails. As such, it is considered a "structural item". Any removal of such an item will immediately void the manufacturer warantee.
Well, we can close this thread...:-)
Old 11-03-2007, 09:54 PM

GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
I second what the others are saying. When I got mine it had the crossbars installed and they whistled like crazy over 40 MPH. Took them off and no noise whatsoever.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Well, we can close this thread...:-)
I second that

Fahrer - you gotta change your avatar. Yours looks just like Waiting-4-55o's avatar and I have always have to readwho the author is
Old 11-05-2007, 06:23 PM

...you must consider that the GL was designed, tested and certified with the roof rails. As such, it is considered a "structural item". Any removal of such an item will immediately void the manufacturer warantee (sic).
And your source for this convoluted logic is ???

Reminds me of when they used to sell "style bars" for pick-em-up trucks... The lawyers said the makers shouldn't call them "roll bars", because the term implied a safety benefit... since the bars only bolted to the bed and not to the frame, they provided little rollover protection.

I dont have the crossbars installed. I am still looking for a solution.

Last edited by 201mph; 11-05-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by 201mph

Reminds me of when they used to sell "style bars" for pick-em-up trucks... The lawyers said the makers shouldn't call them "roll bars", because the term implied a safety benefit... since the bars only bolted to the bed and not to the frame, they provided little rollover protection.

I dont have the crossbars installed. I am still looking for a solution.
I just completed a cross country trip of over 5000 miles and I'll be damned if I heard any "wind whistle" at any speed. Now I admit my hearing probably has some deficiencies but I have not seen any complaints along this line except when the cross bars are installed.

The reason you have not received any responses may be that no one has even thought about removing the rails. Some have wanted to replace the black ones with the chrome but not just get rid of them altogether. Have you contacted your dealer and asked him if it can be done and what they "fill the slots" with?

BTW...the GL is a "big SUV" so the roof rails just underscore what is already a fact...the GL is a "big SUV." Personally I like them and think they improve the lines of the truck. Your mileage apparently varies with the majority of GL buyers.

BTW2...GL Fahrer has posted a lot of information on this forum and 99% of it has been accurate so I would not call his post "convoluted logic" just yet.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
I know it seems crazy not having a source, but we've learned to trust GL Fahrer here on the forum. I'm sure his source of information is very accurate indeed.

With the roof rails I don't get any wind noise at all. With the cross bars, I begin to hear noticeable wind whistling at around 75 mph. With the cargo carrier, I had horrible wind noise starting at about 20 mph, but I've got a new solution to try here soon.

Best Wishes.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:52 PM

2008 GL450 / 1999 ML320
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
With the cargo carrier, I had horrible wind noise starting at about 20 mph, but I've got a new solution to try here soon.

Interested to hear what solution you come up with to reduce wind noise with cargo carrier, Stumblefoot. Ski season is approaching and I am about to install our Thule.

Expect wind noise to be a problem (it is with whatever vehicle I have).
Old 11-05-2007, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
I know it seems crazy not having a source, but we've learned to trust GL Fahrer here on the forum. I'm sure his source of information is very accurate indeed.

With the roof rails I don't get any wind noise at all. With the cross bars, I begin to hear noticeable wind whistling at around 75 mph. With the cargo carrier, I had horrible wind noise starting at about 20 mph, but I've got a new solution to try here soon.

Best Wishes.

Aww shucks Fella's! Thanks.
It's just an industry standard. If the the car was initially crash tested with roof rails, then the car is certified with roof rails. If they were optional (like skid plates) then their removal wouldn't change the status of the car.
BTW: the roof rails add no discernable noise to the vehicle, but if you want to have some fun, install the cross bars, and you will get a really cool whistle when you tilt open the sunroof just an inch from the front crossbar.
Solution: move the crossbar back an inch or so.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:27 PM

2008 GL450 / 1999 ML320
but if you want to have some fun, install the cross bars, and you will get a really cool whistle when you tilt open the sunroof just an inch from the front crossbar.
Solution: move the crossbar back an inch or so.
I uninstall my cross-bars when they are not required - only use them when I have my Thule installed. DO not care for the added wind noise.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:12 AM

I recognize that GL Fahrer is a respected member of this forum, and I also value his posts. I just felt that the issues of liability and warranty were combined inappropriately. Perhaps his post was offered tongue-in-cheek, and if so, I apologize for rising to the bait...

Please consider:
In a rollover accident, or any crash where the integrity of the roof is compromised, the MB MIGHT escape some percentage of liability if the GL had been crash-tested with the rails, and I had removed them.
But MB would likely have to demonstrate that ALL of its design and structural analysis and all crash testing, both in-house and for NHTSA, IIHS, etc, was done with the roof rails in place, and prove that their presence was a designed-in safety enhancement. This is unlikely.

But, removal of the rails would have no effect on the MB vehicle warranty.

Generally speaking, warranty coverage can be denied when the owner changes something resulting in the failure of a related OE part. If you put chrome wheels or a cat-back exhaust on your GL, that wont cause denial of coverage for a blown engine. However, if you change the injectors and the computer programming, and your engine burns a piston and tosses a rod out the side of the block, expect to be SOL.

To my original point, my GL (no crossbars), has much greater windnoise on the highway than my QX56, X5, or the R class I tested (no roof rails). I do a lot of highway driving and would like to reduce the noise. Any additional ideas or admonishments are most welcome.
Thanks.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
To my original point, my GL (no crossbars), has much greater windnoise on the highway than my QX56, X5, or the R class I tested (no roof rails). I do a lot of highway driving and would like to reduce the noise. Any additional ideas or admonishments are most welcome.
Thanks.
I am not noticing wind noise specifically from the roof rails - you may have an installation issue as well? I do recall that I had windshield installation wind noise on my LX470, which was evident at higher surface street speeds and I could never seem to get anyone to properly install it (either using the same folks as the dealership or not) untill I insisted on OEM glass - but that's a very different issue. As is the wind noise due to just horrid fit-n-finish on my Excursion. Still, if you really just don't want the bars on, fixing their installation would probably be the same amount of pain in the butt as removing them altogether.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:04 PM

Do what you must to reduce noise. I have heard no issues related to the noise from the roof rails...crossbars yes. The roof rails present such a small cross section relative to the front grill and mirrors that their contribution to overall noise is negligible; especially considering their longitudinal attachment.

Your argument about the relevance of roof rails has no effect on this issue. Roof rails were installed (as standard) with all the body panels, doors, windows, handles, bumpers and mirrors. Then the car was certified with these standard items. Pure and simple: Any modification, or removal of standard items used in the certification of this vehicle will void the manufacturers warrantee since the vehicle is no longer a representation of that certification.

You are probably right…the rails have may have no effect, whatsoever, on the structural integrity of this vehicle. But we will never know, since DCAG made the decision to test the vehicle with these items. Had they elected to remove them first, then we wouldn’t even be having this discussion.

Again, do what you want with the rails. But should you have a problem with item an unrelated issue, and you bring this vehicle to an astute service manager, he/she would have every reason to deny your warrantee claim since the vehicle is no longer in compliance (and out of warrantee). But is this a fight worth waging?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:22 PM

2007 Porsche 997S & 2008 GMC Sierra
I would like to see evidence where removing bolt on roof rails will have any effect on the vehicles warranty.

I’m not trying to rain on anyone’s parade either but in my 35 years experience in the retail automobile business with many of those years as a service manager for a large BMW dealership I never once saw the factory void a warranty or deny a warranty claim because someone removed an item that was in place when the car was “certified”. Using that logic if you removed your spare tire you would ostensibly be voiding your warranty. I don’t buy it.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
I agree with GL.. the roof rails are not causing any appreciable level of wind noise. I think the side mirros probably cause more drag than that one inch tapered end of roof rail.. Now if you really hate the roof rails, then maybe you should have bought the R class IMO. I think it is time to close this topic and move on.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:29 AM

Pure and simple: Any modification, or removal of standard items used in the certification of this vehicle will void the manufacturers warrantee since the vehicle is no longer a representation of that certification.
Should you have a problem with item an unrelated issue, and you bring this vehicle to an astute service manager, he/she would have every reason to deny your warrantee claim since the vehicle is no longer in compliance (and out of warrantee).
SEMA (the Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association) has spent years successfully lobbying and educating courts, lawmakers, manufacturers and car owners. SEMA has preserved the individual's right to alter, remove, modify or replace parts on their own vehicle without fear of the actions described in the above quote.

Warranty coverage of a modified vehicle can ONLY be denied if the parts that were altered/modified/removed/replaced contributed to the condition for which the owner is seeking repair under warranty. Please read:
http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60127

Further, the federal The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act says warranty coverage may not be conditioned upon the use of only the vehicle manufacturer's parts. Use of a non-carmaker product should not void your warranty unless it caused the problem. Please read:
http://sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?ID=50096
Old 11-12-2007, 11:37 AM

GL450, 99 Road King
You know I just might remove my roof rails when I want that “Mini van” look!
Old 11-12-2007, 03:23 PM

2013 GL 450
Seems to me like a lot of work for not a lot of value. I personally don't think it would look good without the rails (although I think it looks much better without the crossbars). It gives it a stockier look and less like an R class. Plus I agree that the rails shouldn't cause any wind drag. Don't do it!

My .02
Old 11-12-2007, 03:50 PM

2008 GL550 Obsidian Black/Black
I have a 550. Was i supposed to get crossbars? My didn't come with any.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Roof Rail Removal ????