GL Third Row Seat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sonderklasse
GL Third Row Seat

Hi all,

I am considering a GL but I'm wondering if the third row seat can fit 2 full-size adults? I understand that the legroom might be minimal but more importantly, is the floor for the third row seats elevated (as in X5 and Q7) which then makes it really uncomfortable for longer journeys.

How many baggage can you carry with the third row seat up? And can you put only one of the third row seat down should you need to carry more cargo?

On another note, does the GL550 come standard with Distronic?

Thank you.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by WingFlex
Hi all,

I am considering a GL but I'm wondering if the third row seat can fit 2 full-size adults? I understand that the legroom might be minimal but more importantly, is the floor for the third row seats elevated (as in X5 and Q7) which then makes it really uncomfortable for longer journeys.

How many baggage can you carry with the third row seat up? And can you put only one of the third row seat down should you need to carry more cargo?

Thank you.
The 3rd row seats are raised to make the fit more comfortable and provide a normal seating position without your knees in you face. It is an adult size seat. The seats can be raised or lowered individually. The space behind the 3rd row for cargo is limited...maybe 2 medium suitcases?

Distronic is not presently available for the GL550, standard or otherwise.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:36 PM

E320 & GL450
Hi all,

Thank you.
Go to MBusa.com for a coplete build your own. Rear seat does fit adults (although probably not 6' 4" types with ease) and you can see the leg room in inches (about 34"), on the MBUSA site. The seat is elevated by about 4 inches I think. Cu ft with the seats in various configurations is listed on the web site with 83 cu fit available with all the seats in flat configuration. Distronic is not available on the 550.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
I am considering a GL but I'm wondering if the third row seat can fit 2 full-size adults?
Absolutely and I speak from experience. Gl's 3rd row is A OK for 2 adults for short hauls around town. I wouldn't put an adult back there for a 3/4 hour road trip.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
Agreed...if the second row is not reclined, the 3rd row has ample room for an adult. I like how they contoured the floor board to allow your legs a little extra comfort and not have your knee's at your neck.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:50 PM

Sonderklasse
Thanks for the reply guys. So in general, the GL seems superior to the Q7 and X5 in terms of third row seating. I did not like the competition's third row seat b/c their floors were higher than 2nd row so your knee rests higher up.

I now have a problem choosing between a Cayenne S and a GL. GL gives me more space and seats two more, but the Cayenne is sportier, and well, it is a Porsche. Can't have both. I know they are apples and oranges but did anyone compare these two directly before? I haven't had time to visit the showrooms but is the Cayenne interior actually nicer than the GL, in terms of materials and fitment? On picture the Cayenne interior looks quite nice. I would assume the GL rides better and more comfortable?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Thanks for the reply guys. So in general, the GL seems superior to the Q7 and X5 in terms of third row seating. I did not like the competition's third row seat b/c their floors were higher than 2nd row so your knee rests higher up.

I now have a problem choosing between a Cayenne S and a GL. GL gives me more space and seats two more, but the Cayenne is sportier, and well, it is a Porsche. Can't have both. I know they are apples and oranges but did anyone compare these two directly before? I haven't had time to visit the showrooms but is the Cayenne interior actually nicer than the GL, in terms of materials and fitment? On picture the Cayenne interior looks quite nice. I would assume the GL rides better and more comfortable?

Boils down to this.........I could afford either but I wanted a true SUV and I wanted the greater space and utility. For me......choosing a particular SUV because it is more like a sports car makes about as much sense as prefering a particular sports car BECAUSE it is more like a truck! Buy what you want and/or need but if you truly need one or the other then why waste money trying to make it more like something else
Old 11-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Almost a Member!

I test drove both the GL and Porsche before making a decision. I think the GL drives much better (more like a car). The suspension is amazing regardless of the size of the GL. We also looked at the full size Escalade and I was much more comfortable riding in the back seat of the GL. I was amazed at this as the Escalade looks much bigger from the outside. Good luck with you decision.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha

I think you will find the Cayenne S a little confining. I looked at a 2008 just the day they were released to the dealer. The interior is not that great and the seats seemed small. As far as space, there is no comparison...the Cayenne is small inside.

If you want sport, test drive a GL550 and put it in sport mode and then hit the gas pedal...you will have all the sport you want or need in a truck this size.

Good luck in your search...
Old 11-05-2007, 08:52 PM
MKW

08 GL450

I have driven Porsche 911s for the past 20 years incl 996 Turbo . I've driven orig/updated version of Cayenne Turbo . It still feels like what it is : a truck. That being the case , I got the better truck . The quality of materials and fit and finish of the Cayenne is lower compared to the Mercedes ,too. ( Same with 911s - for what you pay, their interiors are " cheap " ! )
Old 11-05-2007, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
WingFlex,

No comparison between the 3rd row seat of a GL vs. Q7 or X5. And, the Porsche doesn't stand a chance either.

Take a look at the attached picture, taken on the way to the recent Vegas meet while I was traveling through Utah. Thought you might like a side-by-side comparison of the GL and Cayenne. Note, the Porsche has no hitch either.

A good friend of mine drove a Cayenne for 1 year and the lack of room drove him nuts. He loved the ride and power, but couldn't stand its lack of utility. If you truly want utility, coupled with incredible power and fantastic ride quality, then the GL wins hand down.
Attached Thumbnails GL Third Row Seat-gl-vs-cayenne.jpg  
Old 11-05-2007, 11:19 PM

2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black

I checked out the Cayenne and found that the interior, mainly the dashboard is archaic in terms of where they should be with that truck. Sure it's a sports suv...but I needed something a little more 2008ish not 1998ish... Sounds harsh but that was my first impression. Second was the size and hauling capabilities...it's a little bigger than a Passat Wagon...just wasn't going to work. Could care less how quick it is. Buy a real Porsche for that!

The fit and finish detail is not even close - the GL kills in that category.

Guess you can tell I'm not much of a fan!

...and we LOVE our GL!
Old 11-06-2007, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
I now have a problem choosing between a Cayenne S and a GL.
We needed a family hauler so Cayenne wasn't a choice for us. However, I do find that 450 is plenty "sport" for me, at least. Just today, I had to floor it a couple of times and power was more than enough. Not to mention the engine sounds purrrrfect too when you floor it
Old 11-06-2007, 02:44 AM

Sonderklasse
Thanks for the input guys. I have always been pretty convinced the GL is the right one until I figured, "maybe this is a time to own a Porsche?" But yes, what I truly need here is a SUV and the Porsche is no comparison. I'll check them out at a showroom soon to let my heart rest.

Fact is, I've always wanted a Porsche 911, Carrera S or better yet, a 997 Turbo. But here in Asia, the roads just don't really make sense for a sports car. And in my other countries where I also call home, the roads are great but I just don't live there enough.

You guys in the US are lucky when it comes to choices (and prices!) of cars.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:10 AM

GL550
Originally Posted by blittle
Boils down to this.........I could afford either but I wanted a true SUV and I wanted the greater space and utility.
Me too.

For me, size does matter. I wanted a truck. And actually I'd rather have something even bigger than the GL! The Porsche and BMW were way too small.

JMO
Old 11-06-2007, 12:22 PM

NJ Edison, ACURA TL , GL450
comparison

Thanks for the reply guys. So in general, the GL seems superior to the Q7 and X5 in terms of third row seating.
Those rear seats on X5 are torture chanbers for kids Forget about an adult. On top, they want $1700 additional for that joy ride
Old 11-06-2007, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by oknish
Absolutely and I speak from experience. Gl's 3rd row is A OK for 2 adults for short hauls around town. I wouldn't put an adult back there for a 3/4 hour road trip.
Please don't think I'm quibbling but do you mean a 3 to 4 hour road trip or a ¾ hour road trip? I could see an average adult having no problem with an hour or more at a stretch in row 3, compared with the old LX470 where the seats were on the floor and they were as uncomfortable as heck on road trips.

STP
Old 11-06-2007, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Please don't think I'm quibbling but do you mean a 3 to 4 hour road trip or a ¾ hour road trip? I could see an average adult having no problem with an hour or more at a stretch in row 3, compared with the old LX470 where the seats were on the floor and they were as uncomfortable as heck on road trips.
Must be the Pilot in you wanting to be precise, Steve I meant 3 to 4 hour road trip. I have done a 2 hour trip with wife and her cousin in 3rd row and they were A OK when we were done. Of course, it could be that those 2 had no time for anything else but talk so all pain/discomfort was ignored. Still, I wouldn't put adults back there for anything longer than 2 hours.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:48 AM

6 hrs drive

I had my In-law in the third row for almost 6 hrs (stopped for 20 minutes for a coffee) . She mentioned that it was the most comfortable seat for her because of the fact that the seat is much "flat" and she did not have to bend her knees as much in 2nd row..
Old 11-07-2007, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by GLDriver
I had my In-law in the third row for almost 6 hrs (stopped for 20 minutes for a coffee)
Was your wife in the car with you?

Old 11-07-2007, 02:52 PM

Haha

Kept her in the front seat with loud music. I made sure she didn't hear any complaints from back seats