GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Chrome Switch Plate Cover

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL 450
Chrome Switch Plate Cover

Can a 550 owner comment on whether it comes with chrome switch plate covers (window and lock switches). See the link below:
http://formymercedes.com/mb_results....+Switch+Covers
Does the 550 already come with this??
Old 11-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The answer is no, but i like them!
Old 11-11-2007, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by patsy1099
Can a 550 owner comment on whether it comes with chrome switch plate covers (window and lock switches). See the link below:
http://formymercedes.com/mb_results....+Switch+Covers
Does the 550 already come with this??
I noticed this several weeks ago and forgot about it...looks pretty nice. The 550 does not have chrome around the switch plate but I think mine will soon...:-)
Old 11-11-2007, 10:32 AM

2013 GL 450
ok, great. I think I will add to my closet collection! First one to get them loaded, please add pics and install comments.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ok, great. I think I will add to my closet collection! First one to get them loaded, please add pics and install comments.
I just ordered and Jerry is quick to fill and get them in the delivery system. Will post when I get them on with pics of course...:-)
Old 11-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Banned

I Ordered As Well. The Sight Says Enrich Your Ml But The Switch Cluster Looks The Same As The 550 With The Exception Of The Lower Buttons For Our Rear Flippeer Windows Which Are Unused In The Ml.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LASCAUX
I Ordered As Well. The Sight Says Enrich Your Ml But The Switch Cluster Looks The Same As The 550 With The Exception Of The Lower Buttons For Our Rear Flippeer Windows Which Are Unused In The Ml.
Agreed...it looks identical.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:46 PM

2008 GL550 Obsidian Black/Black
I ordered the aerowings and the door handle shells but hesitated on the switch covers, it looked a little too "plasticky" for me. Remember, all these items are made of ABS.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:43 AM

2008 GL450 / 1999 ML320
Originally Posted by axchung
I ordered the aerowings and the door handle shells but hesitated on the switch covers, it looked a little too "plasticky" for me. Remember, all these items are made of ABS.
I agree on the plasticky look. The switch cover looks to have a shiny chrome finish and the other MB elements in the GL are a "brushed chrome" like finish, so for me at least, I don't think the switch cover will match that well.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ReachWest
I agree on the plasticky look. The switch cover looks to have a shiny chrome finish and the other MB elements in the GL are a "brushed chrome" like finish, so for me at least, I don't think the switch cover will match that well.
As I remember the inside door pull is high gloss chrome and is located right above the switch plate. I'll post some pics and let you know...due Thrusday I think.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:19 PM

E320 & GL450
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
As I remember the inside door pull is high gloss chrome and is located right above the switch plate. I'll post some pics and let you know...due Thrusday I think.
Could you also take a pic of the pieces next to the grab rail in the center console? That appears to be the largest mass of shiny metal in the cockpit.
Thanks!
Old 11-13-2007, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tm4exc
Could you also take a pic of the pieces next to the grab rail in the center console? That appears to be the largest mass of shiny metal in the cockpit.
Thanks!
The chrome on the doors is "brushed" chrome and also on the steering wheel, console grab rails, around the main instrument clusters and on the center console release.

However, all the wood is trimmed with shiny chrome, including the door handle pulls, the speaker trim, the wood on the front console trim, the light switch for the main lights, etc. So really the type of chrome right now is pretty well mixed and the switch cover will blend well with the other items trimmed in glossy chrome.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:34 PM

E320 & GL450
The chrome on the doors is "brushed" chrome and also on the steering wheel, console grab rails, around the main instrument clusters and on the center console release.

However, all the wood is trimmed with shiny chrome, including the door handle pulls, the speaker trim, the wood on the front console trim, the light switch for the main lights, etc. So really the type of chrome right now is pretty well mixed and the switch cover will blend well with the other items trimmed in glossy chrome.
Cool! Thanks. Get mine tomorrow!
Old 11-13-2007, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
So really the type of chrome right now is pretty well mixed and the switch cover will blend well with the other items trimmed in glossy chrome.
Agree completely. There is such a mixture of chrome finishes on the interior that it'll blend in just fine.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:56 AM

2013 GL 450
Mine should arrive today or tomorrow. Now if I only had my GL
Old 11-14-2007, 07:55 AM

C63, GL450, Panamera S, lots of little British leakers
I did like his price on the door handle shells... they're $85 from M-B when ordered with the car.

Wonder if its the exact same part?
Old 11-14-2007, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Won't be long now patsy...the closet should getting full though of all those goodies...:-) I think this switch plate will liven up the drivers door a little when it is opened.

Where in New Jersey are you from?
Old 11-14-2007, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6

Same thoughts that I had, Jack. When I saw the Chrome switch cover on Jerry's website, I had mixed feeling. My first thought was that it would look cool but the picture he had posted wasn't very high quality. I will look forward to your pics to decide.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:59 AM

2008 GL550 Obsidian Black/Black
Originally Posted by oknish
Chrome switch cover on Jerry's website, I had mixed feeling. My first thought was that it would look cool but the picture he had posted wasn't very high quality.
I also got turned off by the picture.Maybe the quality of the pic didn't do it justice. Actually for me i'd rather get a wood kit that would include the door controls and some dash areas(light switch, ignition,etc). Anyone have this?
Old 11-14-2007, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by axchung
I also got turned off by the picture.Maybe the quality of the pic didn't do it justice. Actually for me i'd rather get a wood kit that would include the door controls and some dash areas(light switch, ignition,etc). Anyone have this?
Not my thing but I have seen other models with wood everything...google it and I am sure you will get some sources.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:23 PM

E320 & GL450
You mean you are getting all this stuff with out a GL!!! Just picked mine up (GL450, P2, RB, Hitch, Voice and Chrome, Pewter on BL) and took it home on a wonderful 39 mile ride on the CA SR 156 , a twisty windy, hilly, fun (think 928 for a real test) road to test it out. Some traffic so was limited, but I really like the sport mode since the surface is fairly smooth. Great ride and superb handling! Pics tomorrow!
Old 11-15-2007, 04:10 PM

2013 GL 450
Won't be long now patsy...the closet should getting full though of all those goodies...:-) I think this switch plate will liven up the drivers door a little when it is opened.

Where in New Jersey are you from?
Got the switch plate covers today NJ (woo-hoo!). I emailed Jerry to ask if he had any ideas about installation. He said he thought they installed "over" the stock covers. Maybe when you get them and figure it out you can post the results.

I'm from Northern NJ, Basking Ridge to be precise. Not too far from NYC (45 minutes). Originally from Queens, NY, moved here after getting married and I dig NJ now. I do like Vegas though. I was there last in Feb and hope to get back soon. I will drop you a PM if/when that happens. Maybe I'll fly in for the next shindig!
Old 11-15-2007, 04:14 PM

2013 GL 450
Originally Posted by tm4exc
You mean you are getting all this stuff with out a GL!!! Just picked mine up (GL450, P2, RB, Hitch, Voice and Chrome, Pewter on BL) and took it home on a wonderful 39 mile ride on the CA SR 156 , a twisty windy, hilly, fun (think 928 for a real test) road to test it out. Some traffic so was limited, but I really like the sport mode since the surface is fairly smooth. Great ride and superb handling! Pics tomorrow!
Yeah, does that make me nuts [woody woodpecker laugh]? I am going to have to dedicate a full day to install my add-ons. But at least I feel I have an aresenal of knowledge from this forum that by the time I get it, it will like being reunited with a long lost friend!
Old 11-15-2007, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Got the switch plate covers today NJ (woo-hoo!). I emailed Jerry to ask if he had any ideas about installation. He said he thought they installed "over" the stock covers. Maybe when you get them and figure it out you can post the results.

I'm from Northern NJ, Basking Ridge to be precise. Not too far from NYC (45 minutes). Originally from Queens, NY, moved here after getting married and I dig NJ now. I do like Vegas though. I was there last in Feb and hope to get back soon. I will drop you a PM if/when that happens. Maybe I'll fly in for the next shindig!
I should get mine tomorrow. I assumed they were taped over the existing plastic? We will see tomorrow.

Basking Ridge...well I know it well. My uncle built a house there in I would guess about the late 40's. No one at that time even knew there was such a place. I remember driving through Morristown to get there. They commuted to NY where they both worked. He had about an acre of ground and his love was horticulture and he had the most beautiful grounds you could imagine. We lived in Bloomfield at the time, then later in East Orange and eventually Westfield. Small world patsy...:-)
Old 11-15-2007, 08:29 PM

E320 & GL450
Yeah, does that make me nuts [woody woodpecker laugh]? I am going to have to dedicate a full day to install my add-ons. But at least I feel I have an aresenal of knowledge from this forum that by the time I get it, it will like being reunited with a long lost friend!
From todays personal experience (exploring all the minute details of an extraoridnary piece of engineering call the GL) you will have a great time. I am getting my 18's exchanged at Cal Chrome on Monday. Love that Chrome!!! Pics will wait until then.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Chrome Switch Plate Cover