I love my new GL550!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
I'd lay a bet on the table that you're right.

I just hope that like tech companies that make their products backwards compatible, that if MB does bring out a new command module in the next year, us '07 & '08 owners will be able to upgrade.
I think the COMAND will change as early as the '09 models...just a guess, but certainly by 2010 models.

Don't look for any backward compatibility though. The system will be totally different (much like the new C Class) and I don't think the '08s will be upgradeable. The console will have to change as well as the guts of COMAND module which will use a hard drive instead of a DVD for map data and downloads from MapQuest and GoogleMap.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Don't look for any backward compatibility.
Youa makea mea sooooo sad.

Is that Italianglish STP?
Old 11-16-2007, 12:27 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by CommanderCody
Good observation!

We actually bought both the S550 and the GL550 at the same time (We traded both the GMC truck and our 99 Lexus ES300). We were able to work a killer deal with the dealer because of the nearly 200K worth of cars we purchased at once (I got 1000 off invoice on the S, and sticker price on the GL). That aside, I must say that I feel that the GL just seems more fun to drive. The GL has more of a truck feel to it, where the S is like driving a magic carpet, it's almost too smooth for me. Perhaps it's just because I've been driving trucks all my life, and I'm partial to sitting up a little higher.

The S is an amazing car, nonetheless. It's smooth as silk, very well appointed, and it has acceleration that never ends (although, so does the GL).

The only thing that I think the S really has over the GL for me is the cabin tech. I'm a geek at heart, and I really enjoy the interface that MB has created with the new Command system. Hopefully by the time I go to trade in, MB will have brought the new COMMAND system to the GL as well. I saw it in the new C-class while I was at the dealer, so I'm sure it's their plan to roll it out to all of their vehicles.

Luckily, I get the opportunity to trade off between the two, but so far I'm leaning toward the GL as my favorite.
I agree with pretty much everything here. I love both vehicles but overall I believe the S to be superior. The nightview assist, seat massagers, power rear sunshades, extra room behind rows of seats, and the whole COMMAND system are missed everytime we get in the GL. As soon as MB makes some of these upgrades to the GL we will trade in our 08 for the new model!
Old 11-16-2007, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by S550 & GL550
I agree with pretty much everything here. I love both vehicles but overall I believe the S to be superior. The nightview assist, seat massagers, power rear sunshades, extra room behind rows of seats, and the whole COMMAND system are missed everytime we get in the GL. As soon as MB makes some of these upgrades to the GL we will trade in our 08 for the new model!
I would agree with that but I enjoy driving the GL more than I did the S. The high seat position and the power makes for fun driving. In the S I always felt I was a chauffeur driving a limo...:-)
Old 11-20-2007, 07:22 PM

Sonderklasse
I would agree with that but I enjoy driving the GL more than I did the S. The high seat position and the power makes for fun driving. In the S I always felt I was a chauffeur driving a limo...:-)
But the S550, with the same engine but lighter, is faster than a GL550, no?
Old 11-20-2007, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WingFlex
But the S550, with the same engine but lighter, is faster than a GL550, no?
Yes, the S550 takes about 5.4 seconds to 60 mph and the GL takes about 5.9 so it is faster off the line. However, when cruising at 70 mph or so, either one is very responsive.

It is just that I like the feel of the GL more than the S...the S is so plush, so powerful and so serene that you kind of lose the sense of driving. The GL on the other hand has a nice roar when you step on the gas pedal and the high driving position just seems to feel more powerful.

Either way they are both fine machines and I have been fortunate to enjoy both of them.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
I think the COMAND will change as early as the '09 models...just a guess, but certainly by 2010 models.

Don't look for any backward compatibility though. The system will be totally different (much like the new C Class) and I don't think the '08s will be upgradeable. The console will have to change as well as the guts of COMAND module which will use a hard drive instead of a DVD for map data and downloads from MapQuest and GoogleMap.
Usually Mercedes doesn't do those sort of upgrades that often before a complete re-design of the vehicle. The E-Class and CLS should have gotten the new Comand system from the S and CL, but they won't until 2010, which will be an all-new car by then. The GL, ML, and R are all tied together in production so for one of them to get the new system they all would.

Now what could happen is that because of the GLK, Mercedes could upgrade the ML/GL/R to the same system as the C and GLK, which would a while lot better than what they have now. I can't see Mercedes letting the cheaper GLK outshine the Bama triplets in tech for long if at all so you may get your wish under this somewhat different circumstance. Then again the C-Class' nav/comand unit is way better than the E's so....

M