Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 12:14 PM
MKW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 GL450
Originally Posted by Chicky Monkey
I think black would look best....

even though I personally have a black interior that is driving me batty! Every bitty bit of lint or hair shows up on the carpet. Every milk spray out of my daughter's mouth is bright white on the door and/or seat. Every bit of cookie crumb shows up.

Sometimes I wish for ash interior....
There is something about these OEM black floor mats on the GL that shows lint much easier than on the OEM black floor mats of prev MBZs. These mats have flimsy lightweight plasticky astro turf like feel vs the smoother heavier carpet like feel of my prev black interior MBZs.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:22 PM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
ash on silver with light headliner results in very little contrast. I never liked the MB grey interiors (a bit dmv like for my taste)
Old 11-15-2007, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by MKW
There is something about these OEM black floor mats on the GL that shows lint much easier than on the OEM black floor mats of prev MBZs. These mats have flimsy lightweight plasticky astro turf like feel vs the smoother heavier carpet like feel of my prev black interior MBZs.
I would agree on the mats. I purchased a berber mat for behind the 3rd row and I am going to go the berber route for the entire interior now based on that small mat. It is solid and looks great.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I would agree on the mats. I purchased a berber mat for behind the 3rd row and I am going to go the berber route for the entire interior now based on that small mat. It is solid and looks great.
NJ - that was the main reason I went with Berber. OEM mats on GL were not very nice (I'm being polite).
Old 11-15-2007, 02:11 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by Chicky Monkey
That looks very nice! I like it.

BTW, what is that you have under your carseats to protect the leather seat?

Thanks. I have the mb-tech seats which is good for kids. I have two types of seat covers, both from babys-r-us. One is a long one that barely stretches across the back seat with pockets that hang out front (great for a small pack of baby wipes). This is great for overall protection from crumbs and baby stuff. Under each car seat is a more rigid Lion Heart seat protector. It helps prevent dents from being left in leather seats. Everytime I pull the car seats out I thank myself for getting these. The base has a nice lip for keeping most drink spills contained. There's usually a nice mix of cheerios, fruit gummies, juice, and soy milk down there to hose off.

Another thing about the ash interior to consider if you plan to use the third row often. The back of the seats is that fuzzy cloth material that looks like it would be very easy to stain. I had a black interior before sand and dust is a big enough contrast to make it almost as high maintenance. Both look great though.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:19 PM

'06 M5/'08 GL 550/'08 ML 350 Edition 10
Updated Decision!!

My salesman calls me today and says he just had a silver 550 w/ all the options I wanted just roll off the truck but it had black interior. (ok I'm sure some of you especially Nevada Jack know where this is going).
So, I ride over to check it out and absolutely fall in love with the black interior! I kept telling myself, "Think about July and the humidity here in NC!" It didn't matter, everything you guys were saying about the richness, quality, and great contrast with the Iridium Silver was dead on. So, I wrote him a fairly large check and I pick her up on Saturday!

And btw, I know this is more for a different forum class, but they had also just gotten in a ML 350 Edition 10 in white. My wife absolutely loved it.....now you see why I said I wrote a fairly large check

Bottom line, she's happy and I'm definitely happy! I'll post pics after picking them up on Saturday.

Ryan
Old 11-15-2007, 04:39 PM

2022 GLE 350; 2016 BMW 428i gran coupe; 2014 Audi Q5 tdi
Originally Posted by rjhoskins
My salesman calls me today and says he just had a silver 550 w/ all the options I wanted just roll off the truck but it had black interior. (ok I'm sure some of you especially Nevada Jack know where this is going).
So, I ride over to check it out and absolutely fall in love with the black interior! I kept telling myself, "Think about July and the humidity here in NC!" It didn't matter, everything you guys were saying about the richness, quality, and great contrast with the Iridium Silver was dead on. So, I wrote him a fairly large check and I pick her up on Saturday!

And btw, I know this is more for a different forum class, but they had also just gotten in a ML 350 Edition 10 in white. My wife absolutely loved it.....now you see why I said I wrote a fairly large check

Bottom line, she's happy and I'm definitely happy! I'll post pics after picking them up on Saturday.

Ryan
Congratulations!!! Looking forward to the pics of both cars.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ryan
Congratz...you won't be sorry. As far as the humidity is concerned...I spent a week in SC just a few weeks ago and the humidity was in the 90's. Never knew what it was as long as I stayed in the GL...:-)
Old 11-15-2007, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
CONGRATS...glad to see you got what you wanted...that White Edition 10 is definitely a great color combo, very unique
Old 11-15-2007, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
...a silver 550 w/ all the options I wanted... and btw, wife absolutely loved a ML 350 Edition 10 in white. Now you see why I said I wrote a fairly large check
Now, that is amazing if I say so myself. Holy Smokes and Congratulations Ryan!

I guess we can officially say now.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:33 PM

GL550

Ryan
Wow!!

Congrats! I can't wait to hear your impressions after you take delivery. I think you will really like the silver/black combo and be glad you went that way.

BTW, I did the same thing...I said no black exterior and no black interior. Saw the GL on the lot and guess what I bought? LOL. They had a pewter/black (so nice!) capri/mac, white/mac and 2 black/blacks. Never saw the green or red, but probably wouldn't have picked those anyway even though they are nice.

Anyhoo, how exciting for you both!
Old 11-15-2007, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
CONGRATS, Ryan. You won't be disappointed with Black, I can assure you, even with heat and humidity. It gets very hot here too in LA and I haven't had any problems with Black. As far as humidity is concerned, A/C in GL kicks some major behind. You will find yourself running to the GL in summer
Old 11-15-2007, 08:24 PM

E320 & GL450
Originally Posted by oknish
CONGRATS, tm. No wonder you haven't posted all day today BTW, I love your description of Black ("really more of a charcoal") and the "silver gray" stitching. MS should pay you to use that in a brochure
and you can see I don't use spell check. what lazy whatever!
Old 11-15-2007, 08:31 PM

2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black

Ryan
Congrats Ryan!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 08:41 PM

E320 & GL450

Ryan
Congrats ! I knew you would love the black, ne charcoal interior! You will be very surprised how the window glass keeps the car cool. We had the car in a very balefull sun today (yes california in SB county at 89 today) and the car was warm when we got in but not hot. You have a 550 which does not have the IR glass in it, but they do put a special blue tint glass in the 550 which is supposed to have great IR and UV reflecting properties. Maybe GL or NV can comment?
Enjoy the ride!
Old 11-15-2007, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by tm4exc
and you can see I don't use spell check. what lazy whatever!
nah.....you were just too excited probably
Old 11-16-2007, 12:22 AM

2014 GL 450
Congratz on the 2 new rides! Can't wait to see the pics.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:14 AM

2008 GL450 / 1999 ML320
So, I ride over to check it out and absolutely fall in love with the black interior! ...... I pick her up on Saturday!
I'm a bit late to this thread - but I too think the black is a fabulous interior color and agree with others about the richness and the contrast.

Congratulations on your new rides(s) - look forward to seeing some pics.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:00 AM

C63, GL450, Panamera S, lots of little British leakers
RJ
I hope your dealer (which one?) is VERY nice to you this Christmas !
Old 11-16-2007, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tm4exc
Congrats ! I knew you would love the black, ne charcoal interior! You will be very surprised how the window glass keeps the car cool. We had the car in a very balefull sun today (yes california in SB county at 89 today) and the car was warm when we got in but not hot. You have a 550 which does not have the IR glass in it, but they do put a special blue tint glass in the 550 which is supposed to have great IR and UV reflecting properties. Maybe GL or NV can comment?
Enjoy the ride!
I have commented on the glass situation in the 550...I miss the IR glass I had in the S550. The "blue glass" may have good UV/IR blocking (but less than the IR) but the heat transfer with the blue glass is not blocked like with the IR tint. It is not overbearing but I had considered replacing the windshield and the driver/passenger windows with IR glass. Glass alone was about $1300 + labor. I will look for a good tint house next spring and see what I can do to reduce the heat transfer.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:38 PM

E320 & GL450
Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB
I think the black would be a nice contrast with the silver.

I have the ash interior (Capri Blue exterior) and it shows every bit of dirt & dog hair.

Here are a couple of pictures

I still like your car Jen!
Old 11-17-2007, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL 450

Ryan
Ryan congrats, twice. Check out www.rmsheepskin.com and look at the tailormade covers for the 550. They are around $250 each. They should help with the heat/humidity. Mine will be ordered soon.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:02 PM

2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
Originally Posted by patsy1099
Ryan congrats, twice. Check out www.rmsheepskin.com and look at the tailormade covers for the 550. They are around $250 each. They should help with the heat/humidity. Mine will be ordered soon.
Seems a number of people really like this sheepskin thing - do you get the dice to hang from the mirror too as an added bonus? Seems so '70's to me? I must be missing something!! We do have hot humid summers in the twin cities, but I'm perfectly comfortable in the leather. I just can't see covering up those nicely stitched seats.

Let the arguing begin!
Old 11-17-2007, 01:30 PM

'06 M5/'08 GL 550/'08 ML 350 Edition 10
Originally Posted by BJ021
Seems a number of people really like this sheepskin thing - do you get the dice to hang from the mirror too as an added bonus? Seems so '70's to me? I must be missing something!! We do have hot humid summers in the twin cities, but I'm perfectly comfortable in the leather. I just can't see covering up those nicely stitched seats.

Let the arguing begin!
No arguing from me.....I agree with you, but some people really do like them. Just not my cup of tea.
BTW, we take delivery in a couple of hours....I will keep everyone posted.

Ryan
Old 11-17-2007, 01:39 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by BJ021

Let the arguing begin!

I love the leather and the look of it, but in a town where it routinely gets over 100, and very often 110, I have spent the last 10 years with towels on my seats so I can sit on them without my a$$ getting sizzled. For me, I'm looking for a nicer option than a towel.