GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Worries

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by triggca
Off to the Lexus dealer I go! Ha. You are right most problems are dealer problems. With as much “STUFF” on the GL vs. Camry I would expect a few more issues. I guess it’s all about the Dealer and how they handle it. I have a close friend whose wife has an E 320 and has high praise for my local dealer. I guess it’s going to me a 70K dice roll!

ALL vehicles are a dice roll.........70K does not guarantee you a flawless car........it does mean there might be a higher probability that the car will be of higher quality and have FEWER issues than cars costing less. The common factor is mass production and the concern for the "bottom line." My 450 is the finest vehicle, in all respects, that I have owned.........the 70K factor is clearly evident. However, I have no doubts that some electronic control board or module costing very little and mass manufactured somewhere in Asia could cause me great grief
Old 11-18-2007, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450, 99 Road King
Well.....I stopped by the Lexus Dealer......not much chance of a LX this year PLUS.....they *()*&_ me off .......so....all of those LEXUS vibs...went Poof!! I could be in my GL Wed if the dealer trade works and the unit wasn't sold.....if not....still waiting on a Dec 11 build date!
Old 11-18-2007, 09:43 PM

2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
Off to the Lexus dealer I go! Ha. You are right most problems are dealer problems. With as much “STUFF” on the GL vs. Camry I would expect a few more issues. I guess it’s all about the Dealer and how they handle it. I have a close friend whose wife has an E 320 and has high praise for my local dealer. I guess it’s going to me a 70K dice roll!
It is most of the reason why I lease. 3 years, all warranty, new car again when I am done! I always get a new car every 3 years anyway, so why take the hit? I only drive 10-12K a year - so it works great.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:45 PM

Well.....I stopped by the Lexus Dealer......not much chance of a LX this year PLUS.....they *()*&_ me off .......so....all of those LEXUS vibs...went Poof!! I could be in my GL Wed if the dealer trade works and the unit wasn't sold.....if not....still waiting on a Dec 11 build date!
The people at our local Lexus dealer were very arrogant. Our MB people were fantastic.

12/11 build date is not too far away...hang in there!
Old 11-18-2007, 10:03 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by BJ021
The people at our local Lexus dealer were very arrogant. Our MB people were fantastic.

12/11 build date is not too far away...hang in there!
My experience with purchasing my Lexus GS430 was bar none the WORST car buying experience of my life.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by Chicky Monkey
My experience with purchasing my Lexus GS430 was bar none the WORST car buying experience of my life.
My best buying experiences were at my local Lexus dealer - which is probably why they're ranked #1 in customer satisfaction among Lexus dealers.

It's truly a shame when a person's impressions about a cars quality and utility end up being based on a crappy dealership or salesman. It was nearly my experience at Schumacher Mercedes in Scottsdale, and then I went to Phoenix Motor Company to buy. Then my service experience at PMC turned sour, so I went to Schumacher's service and had a great experience. Neither one of these guys engineered, designed or built my car.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:16 PM

GL450, 99 Road King
#1 rule on selling a vehicle…never NEVER knocks the competition…just tell my why you think yours is better. They almost acted if they were doing me a favor. When I walked in the Mercedes dealership today the first voice I heard was the Sales manger and owner. I felt like I was dealing with a friend, this is the same guy that I offered 1K over invoice he said he’d take $500. Outside a fund raiser was going on for Ronald McDonald house, and that didn’t hurt!! It felt like the right place to do business!!
Old 11-18-2007, 10:18 PM

GL450, 99 Road King
PS.....if I bought a LX I couldn't hang around whith this fine group of people!!!!!
Old 11-18-2007, 10:31 PM

#1 rule on selling a vehicle…never NEVER knocks the competition…just tell my why you think yours is better. They almost acted if they were doing me a favor. When I walked in the Mercedes dealership today the first voice I heard was the Sales manger and owner. I felt like I was dealing with a friend, this is the same guy that I offered 1K over invoice he said he’d take $500. Outside a fund raiser was going on for Ronald McDonald house, and that didn’t hurt!! It felt like the right place to do business!!
Our BMW sales schmuck could not stop bashing the GL. Too slow, too this, too that, he was wrong on so many of his points it was comical. Especially funny when I called him on it! I knew more about every car I looked at than ANY of the sales schmucks. Sad, very sad.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:31 PM

PS.....if I bought a LX I couldn't hang around whith this fine group of people!!!!!
It is far and away the best car board out there!
Old 11-18-2007, 11:30 PM

Received 169 Likes on 110 Posts
19 X3, 24 Tacoma Trailhunter, 25 CLE53
Originally Posted by StevethePilot

I do have to say how surprised I am that your Toyota pickup was the least reliable. The standard cab 2-wheel drive 5-speed Toyota pickup truck has been one of the most reliable, longest-lived vehicles on the road ever, discounting specially treated antiques. If you ever watch a show on BBC America called "Top Gear," you'll see one they burned, crushed, wrecked, flooded, and buried which is still running and working (and it was very used when they bought it!) Did you buy it new?

End

I bought it brand new. It was an 1986 4cyl 5spd 4x4 reg cab. It had body rust after three years. I had to replace the clutch and rear synchonizer around 60k miles (no reverse.) I had repeated burnt out tail/brake lights (1-2/yr.) I even had two broken lug bolts. There was also an issue with the control panel, but I quite remember the particulars. I got rid of it a 87k miles, and replaced it with a Chevy S10 V6 5spd which went 127k miles with only two problems - vent fan around 100k & the tranny had a TSB for a zirc for the idler which started to chatter around 50k. I replaced that with a Ford F150 V6 5spd and had only a bad electric window switch before I replaced it at 76K miles. I replaced that with a Dodge Ram V8 5spd auto and had no problems. So, I'm a firm believer that a "brand" or particular model may improve your odds a getting an error free vehicle, but every car is different and that's what warranties are for. I have 51 month lease on my GL, so I'll be on my own (without a warranty) for 3 months before I turn it in.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:21 AM

GL550
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
My best buying experiences were at my local Lexus dealer - which is probably why they're ranked #1 in customer satisfaction among Lexus dealers.

It's truly a shame when a person's impressions about a cars quality and utility end up being based on a crappy dealership or salesman. It was nearly my experience at Schumacher Mercedes in Scottsdale, and then I went to Phoenix Motor Company to buy. Then my service experience at PMC turned sour, so I went to Schumacher's service and had a great experience. Neither one of these guys engineered, designed or built my car.

Ok, if I am totally honest, I visited a MB dealer in Fremont, CA that were total jerks, too. Didn't stop me from buy the GL, just stopped me from buying from THEM. 2 other Mercedes dealers treated me great.

I would buy another Lexus in a heartbeat if they had the right truck for me. But I will never go back to the dealer I had such a bad experience with.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:41 PM

GL450, 99 Road King
Dealer trade completed…..Truck will bring my new GL to Bakersfield tomorrow morning…..and I should have it by late in the day. I called Calchrome and have a 10am appointment Wed for a wheel exchange!
Old 11-19-2007, 04:27 PM

GL550
Dealer trade completed…..Truck will bring my new GL to Bakersfield tomorrow morning…..and I should have it by late in the day. I called Calchrome and have a 10am appointment Wed for a wheel exchange!
Right on!!

I can't wait to hear about it!

I guess my dealer doesn't use calchrome as my wait for my wheel exch is 1-2 months! boo hoo!

You MUST post photos of the wheels so I can be jealous and cry even more!
Old 11-19-2007, 04:59 PM

GL450, 99 Road King
I'm not going through my dealer on the wheels....doing it myself...less than a 90 min drive....$800 exchange
Old 11-19-2007, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Chicky Monkey
I guess my dealer doesn't use calchrome as my wait for my wheel exch is 1-2 months!
CalChrome is an exchange shop. So you go in, they take your wheels off and put on same style wheels that are chromed. Since you have a 550, I am guessing they don't have too many wheels available for exchange, hence, the wait.

If you want chrome so bad, you can have my 18 inch wheels for your 21 inch wheels. I will even pay for chroming of the 18
Old 11-19-2007, 07:31 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by oknish
CalChrome is an exchange shop. So you go in, they take your wheels off and put on same style wheels that are chromed. Since you have a 550, I am guessing they don't have too many wheels available for exchange, hence, the wait.

If you want chrome so bad, you can have my 18 inch wheels for your 21 inch wheels. I will even pay for chroming of the 18
I was told that they don't have any 550 wheels but will loan a set of 19's for the eight or so days needed to chrome mine. Will take advantage of this after this holiday. I was parked next to a black escalade today with chrome 22's and became convinced.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:50 PM

E320 & GL450
They were a great dealership when they were Claridge. Bought a porche, 2 bimmers and my 97 E320 from them (which I still have). A class act. I believe the current owners also run the MB dealership in LV who I don't have much regard for either when I tried to discuss a deal on the phone. Lower level folks were great. The senior mangement were very arrogant. NJ can probably comment a lot better than I on the treatment he gets from FJ.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:51 PM

E320 & GL450
They were great today. 50 minutes and first class job. Doing what they say they are going to do!
Old 11-19-2007, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by tm4exc
They were a great dealership when they were Claridge. Bought a porche, 2 bimmers and my 97 E320 from them (which I still have). A class act. I believe the current owners also run the MB dealership in LV who I don't have much regard for either when I tried to discuss a deal on the phone. Lower level folks were great. The senior mangement were very arrogant. NJ can probably comment a lot better than I on the treatment he gets from FJ.
You hit the nail on the head...Low Ball Steve (Sales Manager) is a beauty...I have only bought one car there in 13 years and that was a mistake.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:05 PM

GL450, 99 Road King
'Twas the night before GL, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;

The aerowings had been ordered UPS special care,
in hopes that Formymerecedes would soon deliver here;

the dogs were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of car rides dancing in their heads;

and mamma in her 'nightie, and I in me in my shorts,
A wink of her eye and a twist of her head,
soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread;

I awoke and to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.

The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow
Gave the luster of mid-day to objects below,

When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
A new Black GL450 ready to stir!!!
Old 11-19-2007, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha

Bravo...

We have talent on this forum beyond our greatest expectations...:-)
Old 11-20-2007, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6

Bravo, bravo.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:59 AM

2014 GL 450
Very creative!! Great job!! I could have used you in my creative writing class.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:52 PM

GL450, 99 Road King
To late to worry!!!...it's in the Garage , I joined the ranks of GL owner!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Worries