GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Worries

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450, 99 Road King
Worries

I’ve bought 6 new cars since 1990 all but one (a BMW) have been Japanese. I was so excited to place an order for my first Mercedes. I knew my repair luck might not hold out (3 repairs in total, one overdrive switch, a broken power seat switch and a cracked heater button) but I love the drive and feel of the GL so much I was ready to take the leap knowing a few trips to the dealer would be in order. But after reading so many troubles capped of by oinick electrical melt down I’m having second thought some 25 days before “BUILD DATE”…should I take my deposit and run? HELP!
Old 11-16-2007, 01:19 AM

2008 GL450 / 1999 ML320
I would't worry - although the problem Oinick experienced sounds pretty major (and alarming) it's certainly not a "trend" that we're seeing.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:45 AM

E320 & GL450
I have 88 miles with no trouble and lots of enjoyment
Old 11-16-2007, 09:17 AM

GL450, 99 Road King
88 Miles? I live further than that from the dealer,…….I was hoping to make it home. Ha
Old 11-16-2007, 09:33 AM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Originally Posted by triggca
88 Miles? I live further than that from the dealer,…….I was hoping to make it home. Ha

I worried about issues related to the diesel GL before I bought it, while it was being built. I have had no problems with the turbo hose issue, and until yesterday had never had a serious problem with my GL. But it is a $70k car with only 15k miles on it. I can't advise you about what to do, but at least you have been informed. I guess the opinion I have about the car will be colored by how quickly and completely the problem is fixed.

I have had a dozen BMWs and GM cars before this and have NEVER had a problem approaching anything like this. It's just something to ruminate on...

That said, I have loved my GL. I hope my experience continues that way, and I am glad I bought the 100k mile MB warranty!
Old 11-16-2007, 04:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
I’ve bought 6 new cars since 1990 all but one (a BMW) have been Japanese. I was so excited to place an order for my first Mercedes. I knew my repair luck might not hold out (3 repairs in total, one overdrive switch, a broken power seat switch and a cracked heater button) but I love the drive and feel of the GL so much I was ready to take the leap knowing a few trips to the dealer would be in order. But after reading so many troubles capped of by oinick electrical melt down I’m having second thought some 25 days before “BUILD DATE”…should I take my deposit and run? HELP!
Our GL 320 CDI has 6000 miles.. the only problem so far was a oil sensor mounting bracket had to be replaced as it kept giving us low oil alarm. ( flawed design of bracket) Speaking of lemons, we had A Suburban which ended up as lemon, I have had friends with lemon Volvos and BMW.. so sometimes it is the luck of the draw. What happened to Oinick is not good and all of us GL owners hope it is more of an anomaly and not a norm for these beautiful cars. Having said that, given all the new technologies and eletronics and computers etc in today's cars, I would not buy any new car without extended warranties unless I am leasing for 3 years. I know warranties are nice way for them to make profit but it is sure a nice insurance. Our previous 2 new cars Grand Cherokee and Yukon XL were bought with extended warranties and in both cases they more than paid for themselves.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Of course if all warranties paid for themselves warranty companies would be out of business.

There are more satisfied than dissatisfied owners on this forum.

Don't let buyer's remorse get you down, your new GL will easily prove the best vehicle you've ever owned.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
after reading so many troubles capped of by oinick electrical melt down I’m having second thought some 25 days before “BUILD DATE”…should I take my deposit and run? HELP!
My last car was a 1999 Lexus LX470. Before that it was an LX450. Before that it was a Toyota Land Cruiser. I'm a Japanese car fan (in fact, a Toyota fan) through and through. That said, I don't think I've ever had a better car, overall, than my Mercedes. I've had two - one used 1986 560SEL, and my 2007 GL32CDI. I lost the hose my CDI, twice. It was a pain in the rump, really annoying, something I didn't think should happen. That said, they corrected the problem and now I go without fear. I drove from Scottsdale to Las Vegas and back on one tank of fuel, and didn't worry a single time. It drove like a dream, it looks like a menace, and I feel like I'm in a vault when it comes to safety. Heck, even the wipers are great!

You will love your GL. That is all.

STP
Old 11-16-2007, 08:06 PM

GL550
Mmmm. I see how you could be worried....I myself was always obsessing over whether the car I wanted was reliable every since I dumped a Dodge Durango after only 15 mos and 12k miles and HOURS in the shop. It was annoying, but other than that I was out nothing as it was all covered under warranty.

Since then I've kept to my new plan which is to not keep cars longer than the original manuf warranty

Seriously, I think everyone here would say the same thing, buy it, love it, if something happens...luck of the draw. I really feel that way.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:36 PM

GL450, 99 Road King
A round of Golf (82), some time spent at the 19th hole and your comments have me breathing a little better. I GUESS it’s like giving berth, you hope it’s alright!!!
Old 11-16-2007, 11:11 PM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by Chicky Monkey
Mmmm. I see how you could be worried....I myself was always obsessing over whether the car I wanted was reliable every since I dumped a Dodge Durango after only 15 mos and 12k miles and HOURS in the shop. It was annoying, but other than that I was out nothing as it was all covered under warranty.
I feel your pain on the Dodge...we had a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 that ended up on the flatbed tow truck 3 times in a period of 2 years (manual transmission went at 27K, fuel pump went at 50K and I forget what the final straw was). We traded it in for a 2001 F150 which we still have.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:20 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB
I feel your pain on the Dodge...we had a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 that ended up on the flatbed tow truck 3 times in a period of 2 years (manual transmission went at 27K, fuel pump went at 50K and I forget what the final straw was). We traded it in for a 2001 F150 which we still have.
Oh man! What a bummer! Here's a coincidence for you: the Durango was a 99. My husband owned a 2001 F150 once. Now you and I both own GLs. Pretty funny!

That stupid Durango put me off Dodges forever, I think. I can't even tell you all the things that went wrong--it was in the shop every month practically. When the brakes started going out I freaked out because the service guys kept telling me nothing was wrong. I told them I'm not going to be the person who slams into some minivan with kids in it and traded it straight away. I feel bad for whoever bought it from the dealer I traded it into. It should have been junked.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:52 AM

2014 GL 450
Oh man! What a bummer! Here's a coincidence for you: the Durango was a 99. My husband owned a 2001 F150 once. Now you and I both own GLs. Pretty funny!
Wow, small world! Both of my husband's brothers had Ram 1500's and they both had problems with their trucks. One of the brothers still has his, but the other one went back to Ford.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:57 AM

2013 GL 450
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
My last car was a 1999 Lexus LX470. Before that it was an LX450. Before that it was a Toyota Land Cruiser. I'm a Japanese car fan (in fact, a Toyota fan) through and through. That said, I don't think I've ever had a better car, overall, than my Mercedes. I've had two - one used 1986 560SEL, and my 2007 GL32CDI. I lost the hose my CDI, twice. It was a pain in the rump, really annoying, something I didn't think should happen. That said, they corrected the problem and now I go without fear. I drove from Scottsdale to Las Vegas and back on one tank of fuel, and didn't worry a single time. It drove like a dream, it looks like a menace, and I feel like I'm in a vault when it comes to safety. Heck, even the wipers are great!

You will love your GL. That is all.

STP
That's great to hear. I've owned many cars but just traded in my first Toyota (the Sequoia) for the 550 (still waiting) and my wife keeps saying she hopes I made the right decision. I've never enjoyed any vehicle like that Sequoia, it was truly awesome. I'm psyched about the 550 though.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:34 AM

GL550
Originally Posted by patsy1099
That's great to hear. I've owned many cars but just traded in my first Toyota (the Sequoia) for the 550 (still waiting) and my wife keeps saying she hopes I made the right decision. I've never enjoyed any vehicle like that Sequoia, it was truly awesome. I'm psyched about the 550 though.
Your WIFE?

Am I the only person who just assumed by your screen name that you were a girl? LOL....It certainly doesn't matter, but it's an interested commentary how I just assigned a label to you.

I know exactly how you feel about the Sequoia! I've had 6 cars in 9 years and I had a 2003 Toyota Landcruiser that I still miss. Like you, I just enjoyed the heck out of that truck. I love the GL and I hope that I generate the same "warm fuzzies" that I still feel over the LC.

You and I will walk the path together....I'm sure it won't be hard to learn to love the GL!
Old 11-17-2007, 01:55 PM

2013 GL 450
Your WIFE?

Am I the only person who just assumed by your screen name that you were a girl? LOL....It certainly doesn't matter, but it's an interested commentary how I just assigned a label to you.

I know exactly how you feel about the Sequoia! I've had 6 cars in 9 years and I had a 2003 Toyota Landcruiser that I still miss. Like you, I just enjoyed the heck out of that truck. I love the GL and I hope that I generate the same "warm fuzzies" that I still feel over the LC.

You and I will walk the path together....I'm sure it won't be hard to learn to love the GL!

I am a girl

Just kidding. Hadn't occurred to me but I guess it makes sense. It's comforting to know that many people here have had many other great vehicles and still love their GL the best.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:00 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by patsy1099
I am a girl

LOL. Well, that is an option, too!

Sometimes I wish I had a wife rather than a husband....
Old 11-17-2007, 05:33 PM

2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black

This string JUST started to get more interesting...
Old 11-17-2007, 11:55 PM

2022 GLE 350; 2016 BMW 428i gran coupe; 2014 Audi Q5 tdi
Quote:

Originally Posted by BJ021
This string JUST started to get more interesting...

Last edited by abcdef; 11-17-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:28 AM

Received 157 Likes on 100 Posts
19 G550, 19 X3
I've had my GL450 for 8000 miles with zero problems. Looking back at my 20+ year history of car ownership, my Toyota pickup & Lincoln LS were the least reliable, and my Dodge pickup & Nissan Maxima were the most reliable.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by dunderhi
Looking back at my 20+ year history of car ownership, my Toyota pickup & Lincoln LS were the least reliable, and my Dodge pickup & Nissan Maxima were the most reliable.

I do have to say how surprised I am that your Toyota pickup was the least reliable. The standard cab 2-wheel drive 5-speed Toyota pickup truck has been one of the most reliable, longest-lived vehicles on the road ever, discounting specially treated antiques. If you ever watch a show on BBC America called "Top Gear," you'll see one they burned, crushed, wrecked, flooded, and buried which is still running and working (and it was very used when they bought it!) Did you buy it new?

End
Old 11-18-2007, 11:57 AM

2016 GL63 & 2008 S550
Originally Posted by StevethePilot

I do have to say how surprised I am that your Toyota pickup was the least reliable. The standard cab 2-wheel drive 5-speed Toyota pickup truck has been one of the most reliable, longest-lived vehicles on the road ever, discounting specially treated antiques. If you ever watch a show on BBC America called "Top Gear," you'll see one they burned, crushed, wrecked, flooded, and buried which is still running and working (and it was very used when they bought it!) Did you buy it new?

End
I saw them do the same thing with an old Merc E class Diesel Wagon. When they submerged it I thought sure it was over.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:12 PM

GL450, 99 Road King
I think the long build delay is playing with my head! I just did an inventory search and found an identical unit to mine. I fired off a letter to the sales manager to see if he can trade for it. Once I have the sucker in my garage I’m sure I’ll quit looking and reading about the dang LX570 (made in Japan). I could be having a “AMERICAN built” flashback, back to 1986 when I bought a Ford Taurus and the tranny went out at…..hold on…..115 miles.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:46 PM

06 CLS500
If it makes you feel any better, I bought my 08 GL last week of Aug, and as of today (Nov 18) and 6200 miles its been in the shop for the left mirror, the left rear shock failed and the air suspension pump failed.

been in the shop 3x's for mirror = once to tell them about it, once to install the new parts (but they ordered the wrong ones) and 3rd time to actually install it.

Been in shop 3x's for rear shock 1) to identify the bad rear shock. They thought it was a bushing, so when I went back to have it fixed (2), the shock was leaking and it needed to be replaced (3rd visit for shock)...

(thats 6 so far)

On way to get rear shock replaced the suspension malfunction light came on and it needed to be replaced too. Noise (clunking) from rear after shock was replaced, dealer thought it was rear license plate and drilled 2 big-*** screws thru the rear deck.

Litigation pending as of now

not all are having these issues, and I suspect the uneducated, idiot MB techs and their boss are the main problems at this dealer.

I would make sure your dealer is up to par, not the truck. Dealers suck around here.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:08 PM

GL450, 99 Road King
Off to the Lexus dealer I go! Ha. You are right most problems are dealer problems. With as much “STUFF” on the GL vs. Camry I would expect a few more issues. I guess it’s all about the Dealer and how they handle it. I have a close friend whose wife has an E 320 and has high praise for my local dealer. I guess it’s going to me a 70K dice roll!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Worries