GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Happy Thanksgiving!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
Great photos Scotty - thanks for sharing!
Old 11-21-2007, 01:01 AM

E320 & GL450
Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB
Small world! One of my brothers-in-law & his girlfriend live in Oakhurst. My husband & I were up there about a month ago on our motorcycles. Beautiful area!
It is a small world. Hope you are feeling better. Your in-law must know my son-in-law. He and his father run the only rental yard in town, Lister Rents. Their customers come from every where around that place.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:02 AM

E320 & GL450
Originally Posted by LEOSOPHIE
While in Oakhurst consider dining at Erna's Elderberry House.
know it well, only 4 star within 50 miles. It is located just above my son-law's rental yard.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL 450
awesome pics Scotty!
Old 11-21-2007, 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Safe travels to everybody!

I'm hosting Thanksgiving for the first time ever. For the past 50+ years, my Mom has hosted Thanksgiving. My Dad is 81 and not in the greatest of health and he can drive my Mom nuts, plus she gets so stressed out about having everything perfect for family gatherings, that I asked her if it would be easier on her if I hosted it this year. Without any hesitation, she said, "I think that's a great idea!". Poor Mom...I wonder if she's just been waiting for all of these years for somebody else to volunteer to host!

I've never cooked a turkey before (Chicky, I'm almost as bad as you with not being a Domestic Goddess!) so wish me luck!
You'll do great Jen... if you need any help, here you go;

http://www.butterball.com/en/main_ca...rkey_Talk-Line

or

1-800-BUTTERB
Old 11-21-2007, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by tm4exc
Enjoy you all. We are driving in our new ride, with the shiny chrome wheels, to my daughter and her husband for their first thanksgiving in their new house. They live in Oakhurst at the gateway to Yosemite. Should have some white stuff and hope to give the traction in our sure footed GL a good test.
TM,

I'm going to have to follow-up with you when we get back. I'd like to do a major GL road trip involving camping next year to Yosemite. We've never been in that neck of the woods, so could use all the recommendations possible. Was also thinking of tieing in a trip to Mammoth as well.

Enjoy your day with your daughter!
Old 11-21-2007, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by scottybdiving
That's like going skiing and staying in the lodge. Turks and Caicos, beautiful place. Grand Cayman 30 years ago. Beautiful beaches. Turks and Caicos Aggressor 2006

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. The pecan trees we planted several years ago are just starting to produce so Kristen will do her magic with the "Whitehouse Pecan Pie" and I will cajun fry two turkeys for the aunt, cousins, and friends.
I know Scotty and I couldn't imagine staying in the lodge while skiing. It's just a silly phobia I'll have to get over someday, i.e. not running out of air. Never have had that problem skiing... plenty of air for all!

I bet you've been able to taste that pecan pie in your dreams for years now. Enjoy every bite. I know my mouth is watering from just reading your post. Hmmm... fresh pecans. Nothing like them!
Old 11-21-2007, 09:51 AM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by tm4exc
It is a small world. Hope you are feeling better. Your in-law must know my son-in-law. He and his father run the only rental yard in town, Lister Rents. Their customers come from every where around that place.
I'll have to ask them. My brother-in-law has only lived there a few years, but his girlfriend has lived there most of her life.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:52 AM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
You'll do great Jen... if you need any help, here you go;

http://www.butterball.com/en/main_ca...rkey_Talk-Line

or

1-800-BUTTERB
Thanks Brian! I've got my Butterball turkey defrosting in the fridge as we speak. Every time I open the fridge, I have a dog nose poking in there to see what this big thing in the fridge is!
Old 11-21-2007, 09:54 AM

2014 GL 450
TM,

I'm going to have to follow-up with you when we get back. I'd like to do a major GL road trip involving camping next year to Yosemite. We've never been in that neck of the woods, so could use all the recommendations possible. Was also thinking of tieing in a trip to Mammoth as well.
If we time this right, we may be up there at the same time! We're going sometime in August and staying for a couple of days, then heading to Pebble Beach to drive the GL on 17 Mile Drive.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:52 PM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
I know Scotty and I couldn't imagine staying in the lodge while skiing. It's just a silly phobia I'll have to get over someday, i.e. not running out of air. Never have had that problem skiing... plenty of air for all!

I bet you've been able to taste that pecan pie in your dreams for years now. Enjoy every bite. I know my mouth is watering from just reading your post. Hmmm... fresh pecans. Nothing like them!
I understand completely. It took me 16 years to convince Kristen to get her C-card. I booked a trip to Cozumel and said that if she didn't get certified, I was going to cancel it. Now she can never wait until the next trip. She will pass 300 dives logged, on our Belize trip at Christmas.

I don't know how much time you have, but if you want a nice day trip, catch an island hopper to Grand Turk or Salt Caye. They are throw backs in time with a lot of culture. We actually stayed a week at Salt Caye several years ago. The few restaraunt proprietors would come by in the morning and inquire whether we would be having dinner with them and what we wanted them to prepare. Pretty informal.

I'll be interested to hear your account of Provo.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
You know what makes this forum great? The people.

It has been a lot of fun reading through the posts and seeing how/where different folks will be spending the holiday. The one common theme? Spending it with the ones we love, whether with family in spirit, in person, or with friends. Ultimately, it doesn't matter if we're having turkey or lasagna (really Chicky?) as long as we're together.

Have a great time everybody!
Old 11-21-2007, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
If we time this right, we may be up there at the same time! We're going sometime in August and staying for a couple of days, then heading to Pebble Beach to drive the GL on 17 Mile Drive.
Would love to hook up with you both again. I'd like you to meet Amy & Taylor and the Berner named Cody!

But, I'm afraid it'll have to happen another time, because gymnastics gets rather serious by mid-July where the Russian coaches don't allow any missed practices in preparation for all of the competitions in the fall. So, we'll plan to be there sometime before that.

Let us know how that turkey turns out! Also, be careful giving any of the bones to the dogs. I've heard some horror stories before about bird bones and dogs.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by scottybdiving
I don't know how much time you have, but if you want a nice day trip, catch an island hopper to Grand Turk or Salt Caye. They are throw backs in time with a lot of culture. We actually stayed a week at Salt Caye several years ago. The few restaraunt proprietors would come by in the morning and inquire whether we would be having dinner with them and what we wanted them to prepare. Pretty informal.

I'll be interested to hear your account of Provo.
We landed yesterday afternoon and were to the condo by 2:00 p.m. Spent the rest of the afternoon getting everything we needed for the week.

I've never been here before, but the wind has been crazy. All of the pictures I have seen show this ultra-serene, low wake water that is crystal clear. All we've seen so far is lots of clouds, sand blowing everywhere, 4-5' swells, seaweed, and the murkiest water that looks like the eastern seaboard of the US. We're staying in Grace Bay and are hopeful the weather turns for the better soon! Right now, as rough as the ocean is, there is no way I want to be on any boat.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:11 AM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
We landed yesterday afternoon and were to the condo by 2:00 p.m. Spent the rest of the afternoon getting everything we needed for the week.

I've never been here before, but the wind has been crazy. All of the pictures I have seen show this ultra-serene, low wake water that is crystal clear. All we've seen so far is lots of clouds, sand blowing everywhere, 4-5' swells, seaweed, and the murkiest water that looks like the eastern seaboard of the US. We're staying in Grace Bay and are hopeful the weather turns for the better soon! Right now, as rough as the ocean is, there is no way I want to be on any boat.
Sorry to hear that. We did a dive trip at Thanksgiving for several years and was at TCI about 8 years ago. The weather in Nov / Dec can be less than pristine, anywhere in the Caribean for that matter. You should have some good days. Take a drive over to Northwest Point or the south side of the island.
Attached Thumbnails Happy Thanksgiving!-kris-grace-bay.jpg   Happy Thanksgiving!-sunset-ii.jpg  
Old 11-22-2007, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
Happy Thanksgiving from Northern California...

We took the GL from Scottsdale, AZ to Pleasanton, CA yesterday (740 miles)... 23 MPG at 80 MPH average... Not a single problem
Old 11-22-2007, 10:59 PM

20-25 degrees today - but still threw the 16 lbs butterball on the weber rotisserie grill unit - came out awesome!! Took a lot of adjusting of the grill as the wind would come up and kill my heat. But 3 1/2 hours later...yummy! Just finished boiling down the bones to make wild rice soup tomorrow...man the lbs are pilling on already!

Jen - hope your butterball turned out great!

Scotty - how were those pies??!!

Oh, should I say something about the GL? It rested all day in the garage...
Old 11-23-2007, 12:27 AM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by BJ021
Jen - hope your butterball turned out great!
It was wonderful! My Mom was so impressed

Originally Posted by BJ021
Oh, should I say something about the GL? It rested all day in the garage...
My GL got a workout; hubby drove it to work today -- 150 mile round trip.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:34 AM

Guess you have something to do every Thanksgiving! Nice job!
Old 11-23-2007, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
How are the left overs? I was wishing for a turkey sandwich today and not one of a deli meat variety.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:35 PM

2014 GL 450
How are the left overs? I was wishing for a turkey sandwich today and not one of a deli meat variety.
I should have bought a bigger turkey! By the time I put together a plate for Allen (he got off work at 8pm), there wasn't much left to send home with my parents & my sister.