GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Bluetooth in GL450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Land Rover LR3
Bluetooth in GL450

I am considering a GL450 with P2, Ipod, and Wheel Package. Dealer is telling me I need to spend $429 to get a Bluetooth phone to hook up in this thing? I thought it comes with Hands Free communication in the P1 package? Why is everything so much money.

Also lease prices in NY with taxes rolled in and no money down in NYC are in the $950 range. I thought that number would be closer to $900. That is 64% residual and a MF of .18
Old 11-19-2007, 05:19 PM

2022 GLE 350; 2016 BMW 428i gran coupe; 2014 Audi Q5 tdi
Originally Posted by carlodimarco
I am considering a GL450 with P2, Ipod, and Wheel Package. Dealer is telling me I need to spend $429 to get a Bluetooth phone to hook up in this thing? I thought it comes with Hands Free communication in the P1 package? Why is everything so much money.

Also lease prices in NY with taxes rolled in and no money down in NYC are in the $950 range. I thought that number would be closer to $900. That is 64% residual and a MF of .18
You do need the Mercedes bluetooth PUCK also known as MHI Bluetooth Interface Module. See http://www.wireless4mb.com/ for details. This allows most bluetooth phones to connect with the hands free communication package that comes with your GL.

I purchased my module on eBay for less than my local dealer or wireless4mb.com
Old 11-19-2007, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Some customers want phones that plug into a cradle so they can utilize the car's antenna and have their phone charged by the car.

Others want bluetooth.

It's a decision made at the dealer, i.e. neither capability is factory installed.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:39 PM

E320 & GL450
Originally Posted by lkchris
Some customers want phones that plug into a cradle so they can utilize the car's antenna and have their phone charged by the car.

Others want bluetooth.

It's a decision made at the dealer, i.e. neither capability is factory installed.
The best deal I got was the cradle for my V3. You can leave it in your purse/pocket and the BT works great and you don't need a puck. Put it in the cradle and it charges and downloads the latest phone book in your phone. Best in car system I have used. The hands free is great as it accesses all of the other features of commans, including nav, sat, cd, phone book, and of course your ipod. It works on lond trips (in the cradle) and short trips when you have on your person. BTW, I negotiated with the sales folks to buy at their cost and install for $370.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by tm4exc
The best deal I got was the cradle for my V3. You can leave it in your purse/pocket and the BT works great and you don't need a puck. Put it in the cradle and it charges and downloads the latest phone book in your phone. Best in car system I have used. The hands free is great as it accesses all of the other features of commans, including nav, sat, cd, phone book, and of course your ipod. It works on lond trips (in the cradle) and short trips when you have on your person. BTW, I negotiated with the sales folks to buy at their cost and install for $370.
I agree tm...only I have two lines and two phones. The V3 never leaves the car unless I forget my iPhone.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:59 AM

2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I agree tm...only I have two lines and two phones. The V3 never leaves the car unless I forget my iPhone.
Hey Jack- How does this work for you? Do you have all your calls go to the number on your v3 and auto forward the calls over after a few rings to the iPhone? Or do you have 2 #'s?

Thanks-
BJ
Old 11-20-2007, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by BJ021
Hey Jack- How does this work for you? Do you have all your calls go to the number on your v3 and auto forward the calls over after a few rings to the iPhone? Or do you have 2 #'s?

Thanks-
BJ
I have the calls come to the V3 phone # in the GL and if I am not available, it forwards the calls to my iPhone # on my hip or desk. I have two lines, one for each phone. Works fine.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:41 PM

2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I have the calls come to the V3 phone # in the GL and if I am not available, it forwards the calls to my iPhone # on my hip or desk. I have two lines, one for each phone. Works fine.
Cool - that's what I thought. I'm think I'm going to do that too. For a measly $10 a month for the line it makes sense. I have the MHI unit, guess I could have spent a little less and gotten the cradle version...oh well. It's just money!

Thanks Jack!
Old 12-09-2007, 04:50 PM

2007 GL450
Sorry for the dumb question (1st post too!), but how do I know if I have the handsfree option in out 2007 GL450 (US)? We added the NAV system at the dealer. On the gauge display we are often reminded with the "No Phone" message, is that the essential clue?

Basically, rather than add an aftermarket device like a Parrot, we'd like to add something to make the car work with our bluetooth phones that is more discreet.

Help please?
Old 12-10-2007, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by boss351
how do I know if I have the handsfree option in out 2007 GL450 (US)?
Did you get Premium 1 or 2 package? Those include handsfree phone wiring.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:48 AM

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by oknish
Did you get Premium 1 or 2 package? Those include handsfree phone wiring.
Unfortunately no, ours is fairly basic (was a demo vehicle) that we only added navigation too at the dealer. Of course the Navigation module has the phone send/end buttons and the tele-aid has the mic, but I am guessing that doesn't mean necessarily the whole thing is wired up for hands free..
Old 12-10-2007, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Of course the Navigation module has the phone send/end buttons and the tele-aid has the mic, but I am guessing that doesn't mean necessarily the whole thing is wired up for hands free..
You are correct. Check MBUSA.com and go in their BYO (Build Your Own) section to get details of what P1 and P2 include. I think retrofitting P1 or even hands free wiring would be expensive so you may want to go with an aftermarket system.

BTW, congrats on the ride and hope you enjoy it. Share some pics.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:56 AM

2007 GL450
You are correct. Check MBUSA.com and go in their BYO (Build Your Own) section to get details of what P1 and P2 include. I think retrofitting P1 or even hands free wiring would be expensive so you may want to go with an aftermarket system.

Thanks. It is still stock, will be adding the bumper plate and a clear film protection soon. I have a custom audio guy looking at the options for bluetooth for us. May end up with a Parrot device in the ashtray and a discreetly placed mic, I have a Parrot device in my car (the GL is my wifes) and it is great, but the dash was easier for it to blend in with.. The GL has such a nice dash that I don't want to spoil it!
Old 12-10-2007, 01:51 PM

E320 & GL450

Unfortunately MBUSA.COM only has 2008 options which were packaged quite differently from 2007. Voice was a separate option in both years however (std on the 550). to your point Nish, I don't know why the V3 BT cradle in the central box would not integrate with the command module installed by the dealer. They ought to tell him if the mic is live.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Voice was a separate option in both years however (std on the 550).
I think the voice option you are referring to is the voice control which allows you to control Nav/Tel etc. with your voice.

to your point Nish, I don't know why the V3 BT cradle in the central box would not integrate with the command module installed by the dealer. They ought to tell him if the mic is live.
If you have the cradle/snap in (located in center console) then your GL is wired for handsfree. There are two components to handsfree - wiring to the nav which ends at the "snap in" located in center console and the bluetooth module (or phone cradle). If you don't have the snap in (which means your car is not wired for hands free) then the Bluetooth module can't help.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:03 PM

2007 GL450
I think the voice option you are referring to is the voice control which allows you to control Nav/Tel etc. with your voice.

If you have the cradle/snap in (located in center console) then your GL is wired for handsfree. There are two components to handsfree - wiring to the nav which ends at the "snap in" located in center console and the bluetooth module (or phone cradle). If you don't have the snap in (which means your car is not wired for hands free) then the Bluetooth module can't help.

Ok, removing the plastic cover in the center console there is indeed a right-angled connector. So now I need to find one of the modules to verify that it works I guess.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Ok, removing the plastic cover in the center console there is indeed a right-angled connector. So now I need to find one of the modules to verify that it works I guess.
You want to get a Bluetooth model (model MHI) or a Razr cradle adapter depending on what phone you have. Check wireless4mb.com for details.

I would recommend asking your dealer to see if you can try the MHI module before you buy it. Plug that MHI in the center console connector and then try to pair your phone with it and then see if it shows up on Nav. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:36 PM

E320 & GL450
You want to get a Bluetooth model (model MHI) or a Razr cradle adapter depending on what phone you have. Check wireless4mb.com for details.

I would recommend asking your dealer to see if you can try the MHI module before you buy it. Plug that MHI in the center console connector and then try to pair your phone with it and then see if it shows up on Nav. Good luck.
PN for the V3 cradle is 6-7-87-5869. It works great, even about 20 feet from the car which can be a problem sometimes when you get a call just as you are going into the house and you have not un-blue toothed your phone!
Old 12-11-2007, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
It works great, even about 20 feet from the car which can be a problem sometimes when you get a call just as you are going into the house and you have not un-blue toothed your phone!
Mine works across the walls too as I discovered when I answered my phone and it was already paired with the car while I was in the house and car was in garage
Old 12-15-2007, 11:29 AM

2007 GL450
I got the adapter after trying it out at the dealer. Works great.. Just have to remember to unpair the device when I get out now (hold the TEL button in for 3 seconds to unpair)..
Old 12-15-2007, 08:04 PM

E320 & GL450
I got the adapter after trying it out at the dealer. Works great.. Just have to remember to unpair the device when I get out now (hold the TEL button in for 3 seconds to unpair)..
coool
Old 12-16-2007, 05:24 PM

2011 GL350, 2010 S550
Bluetooth Adapter

The best I found is $355 + shipping at this dealership from PA - keenanmotors4311 (on ebay)

http://cgi.ebay.com/MERCEDES-BENZ-MH...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12-16-2007, 08:23 PM

'08 GL 320CDI
Am I to understand that each time I leave my vehicle and take my blutooth phone with me, I am to "unpair" or turn off the bluetooth feature in the vehicle? I have not been doing this and am now wondering if that is why my vehicle (battery) is dead as I reported yesterday in a new thread. The installation instructions for the adapter speakes to the disconnecting of the bluetooth connection automatically on page 8, when the mobile phone travels outside the range of about 30 ft. of the cradle adapter. Unless I missed something, it doesn't say anything about turning off the cradle, otherwise it will wear down the vehicle's battery. Any thoughts out there? Thanks.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:02 PM

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by JDT1
Am I to understand that each time I leave my vehicle and take my blutooth phone with me, I am to "unpair" or turn off the bluetooth feature in the vehicle? I have not been doing this and am now wondering if that is why my vehicle (battery) is dead as I reported yesterday in a new thread. The installation instructions for the adapter speakes to the disconnecting of the bluetooth connection automatically on page 8, when the mobile phone travels outside the range of about 30 ft. of the cradle adapter. Unless I missed something, it doesn't say anything about turning off the cradle, otherwise it will wear down the vehicle's battery. Any thoughts out there? Thanks.

I just mentioned it as I don't want the car connected to the phone when I am in the house and it is just a few feet away in the garage!
Old 12-16-2007, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by JDT1
Am I to understand that each time I leave my vehicle and take my blutooth phone with me, I am to "unpair" or turn off the bluetooth feature in the vehicle?
Nope, it will unpair automatically if you go past a certain distance or after a certain time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth in GL450