GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Scarry Smoke Gl 420 Cdi

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes GLE 63S / GL 420 CDI / C250 Diesel 4 MATIC
Scarry Smoke Gl 420 Cdi

After 7.500 Kms (more or less 3.500 miles) and 6 months of owing my new GL, while driving at 80Km/h (40 miles/ hour) in a sunny Sunday morning, I looked at the rear view, and can't see nothing in the back of my GL other then smoke lots of blue smoke. I stoppped the car with the engine running and the smooke was decreasing but still coming. I stopped the engine checked the oil level, and looked at the engine and everything seems right. To avoid further problems I called the Mercedes Service. 20 minutes later the workshop van arrived with the mechanic. He looked at the engine, removed some pipes and covers, start the engine and looked at me and said: one of the turbos is not good, needs replacement. The GL was towed to the dealer. Next day, Monday around 10AM the Service Supervisor called me and told me the GL is Ok and ready to go. I went to the dealer, surprised with the speedy repair. There I asked what was the problem. The Supervisor told me that was not the turbo, everything was fine and that there was never any problem. It is normal all of this smoke once in while because it was the particles filter regenerating itself. So my dear GL owners, do not get scared with smoke in the back of your GL that looks like a broken engine. It is the particles filter regenerating itself that all new Mercs now have. Now my GL is as allways, no smoke at all.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by MERCFAN
So my dear GL owners, do not get scared with smoke in the back of your GL that looks like a broken engine. It is the particles filter regenerating itself that all new Mercs now have. Now my GL is as allways, no smoke at all.
Never seen anything like that once, with 18,000+ miles on the car.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gl 450
I have heard of a few other deisel mfg. who will see large amounts of blue smoke when they get regular sulfur fuel and not low sulfur fuel. I know all deisel is now supposed to be low sulfur but in some area's people will still get this old fuel.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Originally Posted by soapy
I have heard of a few other deisel mfg. who will see large amounts of blue smoke when they get regular sulfur fuel and not low sulfur fuel. I know all deisel is now supposed to be low sulfur but in some area's people will still get this old fuel.
I have not seen anything from My GL 320 (4500 miles). My Silverado with the Duramax regenerates the particle filter fairly often and puts out an undesireable smell, but no smoke. When a turbo goes out, there is usually a lot of black smoke.