GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Julia Roberts & her GL chase down paparazzi

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 F-250, 2007 GL450
I like what Clooney did. Certain people need to be told in a calm way that their behavior stinks. That goes more so for friends, acquaintances, coworkers, etc. You can calmly tell someone that their behavior is negatively affecting others quality of life and still be friends. Too many people are affaid to do this. It often has some effect. And it probably works better than some stranger yelling at them.

Years ago, I chased someone down and punched him in the head a couple times for cutting me off and then flipping me the bird. While I don't regret it and I think the thing about 'sinking to their level' is BS, there will be 10,000 more just like him even if I put some fear into that one individual. People beating on all 10,000 of them just leads to anarchy so that won't really work.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Again......we don't know what our individual "snapping points" are but I really believe that when we either witness or are the recipient of repetitive "get-away-with-it" (particularly on the roads) behavior by the "idiots," bad guys, etc. ........ we are apt to snap. Granted, people may do something dumb at that moment and we can only hope that their actions don't backfire......but if successful, the positive feedback is a feeling of "at least somebody tried to do something." Now back to the MB GL!
Old 12-03-2007, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by GL Fahrer
Jets run on Diesel (Kerosene) as well.
This is why I adore the smell of my truck, the airport, and the old cargo ship I worked on for a couple of months between Seattle and the Aleutian Islands.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Chicky Monkey
Why have we decided that because you're an actor and you make lots of money and you're in the public eye, you have less of a right to privacy than the rest of us? I would be horrified if someone were snapping my photo every time I left the house. Even more horrified if they were taking photos of my daughter. What an invasion!
Not that I disagree with your sentiment, but if these guys aren't taking their pictures then the actors and actresses aren't in the public eye and therefore not making money. It's a symbiotic parasite relationship - the papparazi (sp?) make money off of the photos they take of the actors and actressessesses and the fact that there are stories and photos about them makes them more visible in the public eye and therefore more likely to be hired by the major studios. And at the risk of sounding like a cynic, the bigger the deal they can make, the more public and "interesting" the encounter is and the more likely it'll be on the front page.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GL Troll
Years ago, I chased someone down and punched him in the head a couple times for cutting me off and then flipping me the bird. While I don't regret it and I think the thing about 'sinking to their level' is BS, there will be 10,000 more just like him even if I put some fear into that one individual. People beating on all 10,000 of them just leads to anarchy so that won't really work.
My head still hurts.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:52 PM

2013 GL 450
BUT ANYWAY....somebody once told me that the most powerful thing you could say to someone who just really pissed you off is to look them straight in the eye and in a very level tone say to them "I don't like you", then hold the stare.

Sounded kind of hoaky at the time but as I've perfected it it is actually quite effective and a bit scary. Sometimes I scare myself.

"You talking to me, you must be because I'm the only one here"
Old 12-04-2007, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
My head still hurts.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by patsy1099
"You talking to me, you must be because I'm the only one here"
Patsy - listen to me, please, OK? Just take a break from GL for a day. it will do you a world of good, Trust me and it will also make the voices in your head go away.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:00 AM

2013 GL 450
all work and no play makes jack a dull boy all work and no play makes jack a dull boy all work and no play makes jack a dull boy all work and no play makes jack a dull boy all work and no play makes jack a dull boy all work and no play makes jack a dull boy all work and no play makes jack a dull boy all work and no play makes jack a dull boy all work and no play makes jack a dull boy all work and no play makes jack a dull boy all work and no play makes jack a dull boy all work and no play makes jack a dull boy all work and no play makes jack a dull boy all work and no play makes jack a dull boy all work and no play makes jack a dull boy all work and no play makes jack a dull boy
Old 12-04-2007, 08:31 AM

GL550
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Not that I disagree with your sentiment, but if these guys aren't taking their pictures then the actors and actresses aren't in the public eye and therefore not making money. It's a symbiotic parasite relationship - the papparazi (sp?) make money off of the photos they take of the actors and actressessesses and the fact that there are stories and photos about them makes them more visible in the public eye and therefore more likely to be hired by the major studios. And at the risk of sounding like a cynic, the bigger the deal they can make, the more public and "interesting" the encounter is and the more likely it'll be on the front page.
Good point!

At the same time, actor can be famous and successful and not have their photos in the rags every week. Jodie Foster is an example of a famous actor, lots of movies and I never see her photo in a mag. Never seen a picture of her kids.

Maybe some stars invite the attention (a la Britney) which is part of the problem.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:32 AM

GL550
Oh and BTW, this thread is getting weird.

Funny, but weird!

Old 12-04-2007, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Chicky Monkey
Maybe some stars invite the attention (a la Britney) which is part of the problem.
A) That statement is, I think, basically what my point was - and Jodie Foster doesn't wallow around the stores wearing obvious sunglasses and making herself visible (as so many do) because she's got some talent to back up her name.

B) You apparantly have never heard of JFA? I know, I don't seem the type. (Well, ask Brian.)