GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

My lighted door sills are installed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2007 | 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550
My lighted door sills are installed!

I don't imagine this needs a whole new thread, but oh well!

The dealer installed my lighted door sills today and I love, love, love them!

IMO it is a must have accessory!

Well, maybe not must have, but they look pretty cool!

On a side note, I had a discussion with the service manager about my disappointment in them disassembling my sills a few weeks ago before they realized they didn't have all the parts, telling me stories about the rear mud flaps and the service guys changing my radio station.

I told him I hoped this wasn't indicative of how my future service visits were going to go!

He ummed and unh huh'd and I'm starting to think I'm going to drive to Sacramento for service from now on. My local dealer is just so hokey!
Old 12-04-2007 | 11:45 PM

2007 ML 500
Originally Posted by Chicky Monkey
I don't imagine this needs a whole new thread, but oh well!

IMO it is a must have accessory!

On a side note, I had a discussion with the service manager about my disappointment in them disassembling my sills a few weeks ago before they realized they didn't have all the parts, telling me stories about the rear mud flaps and the service guys changing my radio station.

I told him I hoped this wasn't indicative of how my future service visits were going to go!

He ummed and unh huh'd and I'm starting to think I'm going to drive to Sacramento for service from now on. My local dealer is just so hokey!
you need to bring it up and go higher.

i got sick and tired of the tech's putting it on their favorite stations and blasting the music.

i got 2 stainless steel coffee mugs from them
Old 12-05-2007 | 12:02 AM

GL550
Originally Posted by vinceching
i got 2 stainless steel coffee mugs from them
Wow! Those are expensive!

Yah, I was peeved that they made me pay $28 for the wiring harness they forgot to order. I told them I figured they owed me that for my inconvenience the day they did nothing to my car but tear it apart and put it back together.

They said I would have had to pay for it had they ordered it right in the first place. Um, yah, but I would not had to bring the car in twice! Doh! I don't know. There reaches a point when I'm just not willing to argue over 28 bucks. I'll give them a bad service review, maybe write a letter to the owner and take my business elsewhere.

The funny thing is...one of the factors in choosing the GL was because we had a dealer in town and I didn't want to drive to Sacramento for service anymore like I did with my Lexus. I passed on the new LX570 and the Range Rover because we don't have dealers in town.

Don't get me wrong, I love the GL and it was a great decision! But it is funny how things work out sometimes.
Old 12-05-2007 | 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
There reaches a point when I'm just not willing to argue over 28 bucks. I'll give them a bad service review, maybe write a letter to the owner and take my business elsewhere.
BRING OUT THE CLAWS! Or, of course, you could just take your business to Sacramento. I've got a local dealer in Scottsdale who I'm going to call about my 20,000 mile service and readjusting my headlamps (now that the new bulbs are in). Last time I went there I was told I wouldn't get a loaner car because I didn't buy from them. This time, I'm going to set up the service on the phone, make the appointment, and then ask them if I get a loaner car for the several hundred dollars of service I'm getting from them. No? Then I drive the extra 15 minutes to Phoenix Motor Company and let them have my money. I think I've been too much of a pushover in the past.
Old 12-05-2007 | 07:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL 450
mbworld GL owners unite! We should let these dealers know that they won't push any of us around, or, or, or, or else we'll give them lots of ugly smiley faces!

Seriously though, we should consider a section for dealer reviews.
Old 12-05-2007 | 08:36 AM

GL550
Originally Posted by patsy1099
Seriously though, we should consider a section for dealer reviews.
I think this is a great idea! Many people could benefit from the information!

In my case I don't think anyone else on mbworld.org goes to my podunk dealer here in the sticks!

This dealer also has BMW and my dad drives his 550 to Sacramento for service because he doesn't like them either.
Old 12-05-2007 | 11:45 AM

GL550
I think this is a great idea! Many people could benefit from the information!

In my case I don't think anyone else on mbworld.org goes to my podunk dealer here in the sticks!

This dealer also has BMW and my dad drives his 550 to Sacramento for service because he doesn't like them either.
It is my understanding that poor dealer reviews result in less of the 3% dealer holdback being returned to the dealer.
Old 12-05-2007 | 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Share the love and post some pics.....Come on, Chicky. Or do we need to send Jack to take some pics?

On the crap from dealer, my $0.02, is to stay polite but hold your ground. My initial experience with a couple of dealers was less than optimal and, just like you, I "voted" with my feet. My current one did give me a bit of heartburn in the beginning but realized that I wasn't going to roll over. I now have a great relationship with my SA. He will be getting a nice bottle of wine in a couple of weeks when I take my car in for service
Old 12-05-2007 | 02:49 PM

2008 GL550 Obsidian Black/Black

Old 12-05-2007 | 03:14 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by oknish
Or do we need to send Jack to take some pics?
I would LOVE to have Jack visit!
Old 12-05-2007 | 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
I would LOVE to have Jack visit!
That may be an invitation I cannot refuse...:-)))
Old 12-05-2007 | 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
That may be an invitation I cannot refuse...:-)))
He is getting ready to get loose again
Old 12-05-2007 | 10:29 PM

GL450
Congrats on the doorsills. It's a always a warm welcome back to your car.

Regarding the poor service, kindly remind them that you may not be so happy if you get a follow up call to review your satisfaction. Someone recently broke into my GL450 and took a bunch of camera equipment. I was thankful that it was a clean break in, only the right rear window was broken. Nothing else was vandalized. I called MB of San Francisco where I got my GL. I had no idea how much it would cost. Service advisor gave a rough quote of about $600. My insurance agent thought it was high and suggested to call another place. I drop my truck off and they end up keeping it overnight. The problem was they never gave told me the price until they were already in the middle of replacing it. When they called to tell me it was ready they gave me a $700 bill.

I felt they took advantage of my eagerness to get my truck back. I was ticked because I was not given a chance to at least call around to other dealers before they did the work. I kept reminding them that I had other dealer options in the Bay Area. I was than offered a $100 credit for my next service but I said I still wasn't happy. I explained that they could nickle and dime me on this service but to not expect me to come back for my next benz. In the end they cut the bill down to $550 with a reminder to kindly give them favorable reviews on the follow up call.