GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Front passenger airbag messages

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
Front passenger airbag messages

Lately we have been getting this nuisance message on our GL. "Front passenger airbag enabled please check user manual". We get this message even if the front passenger is wearing seat belt. Per manual this message should only come on if the front passenger is not wearing seat belt. We had the car checked by dealer and he said everything is working fine. Anyone else having same issues or have any solutions to this problem? We do not get this message all the time so it is hard to diagnose.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS500
I've never had a message like that pop up. your dealer is full of it.

the airbag sensor detects if someone is sitting in the seat, not if the seatbelt is on. If someone is sitting in a front seat with NO seatbelt, the seatbelt chime will start (and get louder).. but all I've ever seen on mine is the passenger airbag light (on center console) go off when someone sits on passenger seat. It lights back up when noone is there.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by infamily
Lately we have been getting this nuisance message on our GL. "Front passenger airbag enabled please check user manual". We get this message even if the front passenger is wearing seat belt. Per manual this message should only come on if the front passenger is not wearing seat belt. We had the car checked by dealer and he said everything is working fine. Anyone else having same issues or have any solutions to this problem? We do not get this message all the time so it is hard to diagnose.
The message is normal if someone gets in to the front passenger seat after the vehicle is started. I get it routinely when my kids get in the car as they can't get in without damaging the door in the garag so I have to back out first, and if you notice you'll have a warning light saying the airbag's off when the seat is unoccupied. When someone then sits in that seat, you'll get the message because the airbag's status has changed. If you don't look at it, the message goes away after a few moments so you might not have noticed it every time.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:30 PM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
If you don't look at it, the message goes away after a few moments so you might not have noticed it every time.
You are right, manual says the message will go off but in our case the message stays on. I think dealer needs to check it out one more time. I am sure the airbags etc are functioning properly but hate nuisance messages
Old 12-10-2007, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
You are right, manual says the message will go off but in our case the message stays on. I think dealer needs to check it out one more time. I am sure the airbags etc are functioning properly but hate nuisance messages
I agree and have the dealer check it out again. Our message stays on for only about 30 seconds I believe.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:43 PM

2007 ML 500
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
I agree and have the dealer check it out again. Our message stays on for only about 30 seconds I believe.
my message stays on the entire time until the car is restarted.

so its supposed to turn off?
Old 12-11-2007, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vinceching
my message stays on the entire time until the car is restarted.

so its supposed to turn off?
Well, here's the deal; if I actually see the message, I tap a steering wheel button to make it go away (much like the "You've gone beyond service B by x-number-of-miles" annoyance message). It doesn't come back on after that.

STP
Old 12-11-2007, 01:53 PM

2007 ML 500
Well, here's the deal; if I actually see the message, I tap a steering wheel button to make it go away (much like the "You've gone beyond service B by x-number-of-miles" annoyance message). It doesn't come back on after that.

STP
i don't get that. when the front airbag message comes on, if i scroll through the menus i have that "1 new message" and when i press the up/down button to read it ... the same front airbag message shows up.

and unfortunately after reading the message, it still stays on until i restart the car with a passenger sitting in the front seat before the car cranks over.

so just to make sure, after reading it... it should turn off? i'd check my manual... but i don't know where it is. and i would have put it in the front glove box, but mercedes didn't check to see it doesn't really fit in there nicely without getting bent up.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:46 PM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
i don't get that. when the front airbag message comes on, if i scroll through the menus i have that "1 new message" and when i press the up/down button to read it ... the same front airbag message shows up.

and unfortunately after reading the message, it still stays on until i restart the car with a passenger sitting in the front seat before the car cranks over.

so just to make sure, after reading it... it should turn off? i'd check my manual... but i don't know where it is. and i would have put it in the front glove box, but mercedes didn't check to see it doesn't really fit in there nicely without getting bent up.
I am having same issues, per manual, if a passenger is in the front seat with seat belt on, the message should go away and you should not have that screen which says you have 1 message.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whoa, wait - it actually goes to your "messages?" Weird. I don't think I've had a "message" since I had the tire pressure monitor alarm. Funky. No, that's not what happens to me. Which vehicle are you driving and what's your COMAND version? (I don't know if that makes a difference.)

As for the manual(s), the little leather-ette case full of stuff fits nicely on the left side of the "spare" under the rear deck.

StP
Old 12-12-2007, 12:45 AM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
Whoa, wait - it actually goes to your "messages?" Weird. I don't think I've had a "message" since I had the tire pressure monitor alarm. Funky. No, that's not what happens to me. Which vehicle are you driving and what's your COMAND version? (I don't know if that makes a difference.)

As for the manual(s), the little leather-ette case full of stuff fits nicely on the left side of the "spare" under the rear deck.

StP
yes you are correct no message if system is working properly
Old 12-12-2007, 02:48 AM

2007 ML 500

StP
not sure what command i have... i have a 07 ml500 with a may 07 build date.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:48 AM

2007 ML 500
yes you are correct no message if system is working properly
do you know what page in the manual would have stated that?
Old 12-12-2007, 09:42 AM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
do you know what page in the manual would have stated that?
Not sure my page number will match with yours.. I have a GL.. But look in the index for front passenger air bag and you should find it
Old 12-12-2007, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not sure what command i have... i have a 07 ml500 with a may 07 build date.
Please don't take this the wrong way but, are we that much better here on the GL forum than they are on the ML forum? Because I think there'd be a difference between the COMAND units between the GL and ML so what happens on ours might be different than what happens on yours. Why? 'Cause that's how MB rolls! (Standardization be damned!)

STP
Old 12-12-2007, 11:48 AM

2007 ML 500
Please don't take this the wrong way but, are we that much better here on the GL forum than they are on the ML forum? Because I think there'd be a difference between the COMAND units between the GL and ML so what happens on ours might be different than what happens on yours. Why? 'Cause that's how MB rolls! (Standardization be damned!)

STP
nah, i don't take it the wrong way. i just surfed the gl forum as well and saw this post so i decided to post under it instead of starting a new one over on the ml.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:11 PM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
per Dealer - problem resolved

Took our car in for service today. They found seat weight sensor out of caliberation which caused these messages to stay on. Will watch over next day or so to see if the problem actually is resolved.. will post an update in couple of days. Have a wonderful Holidays..
Old 12-23-2007, 06:40 PM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
Took our car in for service today. They found seat weight sensor out of caliberation which caused these messages to stay on. Will watch over next day or so to see if the problem actually is resolved.. will post an update in couple of days. Have a wonderful Holidays..

Problem has been fixed..
Old 05-11-2014, 01:50 PM

2007 GL450
[/B]

Problem has been fixed..
Please @infamily, do you know what they did to 're-calibrate' the seat weight sensor? Could if be something I could do myself? I'm thousands if miles away from qualified techs!!!