GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

my vehicle is dead

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL450 / 1999 ML320
This does suck. No dealer rep should ever make a comment about legal action being your next step.

I agree with Oknish and NJ - keep your cool, get organized, keep your documents and systematically work your way up from the Service Manager to the president of MBUSA (if necessary).. If MB is working properly it should not get very far before you get a proper answer. We'll all be watching closely.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I agree totally with oknish approach up the food chain. For a dealer to tell you "they would not be able to do anything else for you" is total B***S***! Meet personally with the General Manager of the dealership (including the jerk who made the statement) and demand (nice and calm) a fix or a buy back. Write a letter to the President of MBUSA (registered) outlining your situation and request a buy back. Someone should contact you and do the research and then apprise you of the outcome.

Don't let the service department be the final decision maker for you or the car fix. Good luck...be persistend and patient (not easy but necessary.)
I agree... We had a lemon (a Chevy Suburban) and from my personal experience , it takes lot of patience and persistence to get these giant organizations to get off there b..u..t....but once you get to the right people things move fast. I know in the mean time it can be very frustrating, but keep your cool. What got GM moving in our case, was a registered letter to CEO (with copies of all repair orders) and copies to Delearship service manager and GM regional sales and service center.. good luck..
Old 12-23-2007, 10:15 AM

2011 GL350, 2010 S550
Discharged battery...AGAIN!

Yesterday I had the car jumpstarted the second time in a week. It seems like something is draining the battery while the car is parked for 12-15 hours. I so embarassed having to explain to my neighbors that are asking why there is a roadside assistance guy in the garage second time in one week since I brought the car home. I am so stressed out, yesterday I bought a jumpstarter and woke up at 5AM today (Sunday) to take it for a ride and charge the battery. Unbelivable nightmare before Christmas.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by MoTorque
Unbelivable nightmare before Christmas.
If you've gone through the entire diagnosis process (it's not the battery, they cannot find something draining it, etc.) then begin the Lemon Law process in your state. Look, we love our cars and we love Mercedes, but we need to hold thier feet to the fire with regards to improving quality that has been happening for the past couple of years. If they don't keep improving, we'll keep sending the vehicles back, and when they get the message then people will start buying in bulk again.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gl 450
I had a ML 500 with airmatic system that would occasioanlly stay running after turning the key off. It would cause the dead battery syndrome. My dealer said there was a recall on the compressor and installed a new one. That took care of the dead battery problem. It did not take care of all the other problems I had with that MB. I traded it in for a GL over a year ago and have never had one problem with my GL. I just traded the GL for a new ML 550 and hope they have the quality problems fixed.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by MoTorque
Yesterday I had the car jumpstarted the second time in a week.
MoTorque - in CA, lemon law kicks in when you have an issue which diminishes a car's value repeat 3 times. Your certainly seems to fit the bill. However, I don't think you will have to go that far. Next time it happens, take the car in to the dealer and start escalation in dealership. I cannot stress enough how important (and hard) it is to stay cool and professional. While it's your money, it's just a job for those at the dealership. So you have to be the "driver".
Old 12-25-2007, 02:25 PM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Originally Posted by ijustice
Went to the dealer today to get the car. Just like the past 4 times, they once again could not find the problem (I was shocked.) They then said that they probably would not be able to do anything else for me and that I should just have my lawyer get in touch with Mercedes. I got home and then called mercedes and they were no help what so ever. This sucks!!!!!!!!!!! I love the car but a car that I can not drive is worthless.

Sorry I haven't been on the board for a while. I have been looking at the M5 board, since my wife got one earlier in the month. (BTW, it is a little hostile and snotty towards new people asking questions about M5 cars, which are really quite technically challenging. It makes me glad to know that this forum is so friendly and helpful.) Anyway, you may know that I had a massive problem with my GL 320 that required a huge amount of work by the dealer to resolve.

The point is that I had the polar opposite experience with dealer service. I agree with others on this board that say you are having a dealer problem rather than a Mercedes problem. If you can't resolve this problem with the dealer through the service and general managers, you might try another dealer. At the very least you should start making noises to the regional service rep, and quite possibly to the national service director in Alabama.

If you continue to have these problems, you should insist that MB buy the car back.

BTW, I never had any trouble with the dealer on my problem and am quite pleased with them. I hope you find someone who can do the same for you.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:44 PM

GL 450 Mercedes Benz
*****I purchased this 2007 GL450 4 Matic as a Birthday gift to myself. The Previous owner has a cord running from the front to the rear as if he had an after market Amp or Kicker Box speaker connected. Car needs a jump start after leaving it off over night. Where do I start the trouble shooting process? Has anyone had this issue with my year make and model?*****

Old 03-25-2020, 11:04 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
Seems to me like the FIRST step is to get the battery tested/replaced.

After that... attach your trusty multimeter to the battery terminals (while the battery is still attached to the vehicle) and start pulling fuses to check which system is causing the battery drain.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 594 Likes on 500 Posts
2007 GL450
Why are the headlights on? Why are the fog lights on?

Why is there a bunch of junk hanging off the headlights / turn signal stalk?

Why did you post a bunch of irrelevant pictures? I mean, it's a fine looking automobile, but ...

Maybe you left the headlights on. Turn the headlights off - no one uses any setting but Auto for the headlights - and trickle charge the battery (everyone should own a trickle charger; they're cheap and very useful) and see what happens.