GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

RSE AUX Connectors & IPOD (Video)

Old 12-26-2007, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL 450
RSE AUX Connectors & IPOD (Video)

Yesterday I tried to connect my son's IPOD to the AUX1 connection of the RSE (MB installed) that is under the rear seat. The cable I bought was the component cable made by, and purchased from, Apple. But between the way Apple makes it cables and MB makes it input connectors, the cable won't work.

The cable has a round solid sleeve rather than the standard metal pieces that surround most rca cables that I am familiar with. Complicating matters is MB's Aux connection which has a very thin ring around the hole which only allows what I would consider the "standard rca cable", not this solid jacket that Apple's cable has.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Did you use some aftermarket cable instead of the one from Apple? I guess and can a male/male extender/coupler which may fix the connection on Apple's cable.

Any ideas? (I hope I described that clearly!!)
Old 12-26-2007, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Why not get a RCA cable at the local shack or city? I think you need one to 3 cable and I believe it should be easy to find. Try with that.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL 450
Originally Posted by oknish
Why not get a RCA cable at the local shack or city? I think you need one to 3 cable and I believe it should be easy to find. Try with that.
Nish, can you be more specific with the cable, 1 to 3? Sorry for not getting it. The cable I bought was a video cable from Apple for this specific purpose. I was under the impression I needed to get it from them because of their proprietary connector (on the IPOD side) but I guess I should have realized that other people make things for the IPOD (Duh).

I'll check it out. Thanks
Old 12-30-2007, 11:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by patsy1099
Yesterday I tried to connect my son's IPOD to the AUX1 connection of the RSE (MB installed) that is under the rear seat. The cable I bought was the component cable made by, and purchased from, Apple. But between the way Apple makes it cables and MB makes it input connectors, the cable won't work.

The cable has a round solid sleeve rather than the standard metal pieces that surround most rca cables that I am familiar with. Complicating matters is MB's Aux connection which has a very thin ring around the hole which only allows what I would consider the "standard rca cable", not this solid jacket that Apple's cable has.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Did you use some aftermarket cable instead of the one from Apple? I guess and can a male/male extender/coupler which may fix the connection on Apple's cable.

I bought the exact same cable only to find out that the cable pin wont fit the round AV inserts in the RSE DVD player... I think there might be an adaptor to to take care of this but havent found one yet...
Old 01-01-2008, 08:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Went around town to a few electronic stores to find a m/f adaptor, spoke to a few people there and the conclusion is as follows:

The Apple cable pins are just fine. The problem is that the RSE DVD player's pin holes are flush with the casing (unlike home DVD players) and therefore doesnt allow the cable pins to insert properly. Need to show it to a MB dealer & make them find a solution to this silly problem.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500 and Lexus 400h .... Now GL 320
RCA cable

My experience has been as follows with a regular RCA cable:

Interesting fact is they (Apple) switched the RED and yellow feeds on their cable vs. a normal cable from any video camera. In other words, the RED RCA out is the Video(YELLOW) on any other cable when connecting to a ipod.

Anyway I did purchase the Apple cable before discovering the switch.................... interesting marketing by Apple.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-02-2008, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
Originally Posted by patsy1099

Component cables are not to be used with the Aux connection, only standard RCA plugs. Components are for hi def Red/Blue/Yellow video connections. Don't use an adapter, just stop by a Radio Shack as oknish suggests, and they will steer you to the right cable...Good Luck
Old 02-03-2018, 11:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2001 ML320 (gave to family member), 2007 GL450
This is a really old thread. But I'm not understanding how to play music from my MP3 player using aux. I have the RSE system also.
On one side, I have the mp3 player connected, and the other side's plugged into the yellow/red cable in the DVD player. Do I have to do anything else?

Thanks much for the assistance.