GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Interior Lights sometimes Stay ON

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL 450
Interior Lights sometimes Stay ON

I have had something weird happen twice to me now. When I turn on the interior lights manually, while the vehicle is running and in Park, then turn them off, when I close and lock my vehicle they do not turn off. I am not sure of the sequence of lights I turned on because I was showing a buddy of mine and I turned on ALL the lights, including the small "map" lights but I turned them all off. They may eventually "time out" and turn off but I didn't wait more than 5 minutes.

The first time it happened I thought I must have just left them in the "on" position or something since I was playing with them right before I exited the vehicle. When it happened yesterday I tried everything I could think of to get them to turn off. I first made sure all doors and hatch were closed. I opened and re-closed them. I turned off the lights. Then I tried turning them on and off again, all while exiting and locking the vehicle after each test. Even tried locking the vehicle with the key. All to no avail. I then tried starting the ignition and turning it off again. Same results. All interior cabin lights were illuminated after exiting, locking and then walking away from the vehicle (I thought maybe because I remained in close proximity with the key, it could have affected what was happening). Finally, without making any further changes, I got back into my vehicle, drove 10 minutes back to my house, exited the vehicle, locked it. Voila, lights dimmed and went off. But I hadn't changed anything since the last test!!!

There might be some bug when a certain sequence is followed of turning lights on/off whereby the lights remain on after exiting/locking. This was by no means an exhaustive test but something people can be on the lookout for. I'll post if it happens again.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Electronic "gremlins" at work! I once had a 2004 VW Touareg with keyless start........one day it refused to power up......no start, no "click" or anything. I got out of the vehicle and it started ITSELF!!!! Could VW ever find out why...? NO