GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Navigation on GL450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63 AMG
Navigation on GL450

Does anyone have problem using the GPS from the GL450? When doing a search using "Point of Interest". Click on Name search. I try putting "IKEA" "BabiesRus" or any text format to find the location. It won't show anything. For IKEA, it will say IKEA something else. Which is from a different State. Lots of time it will not give me the destination info, other than that, it will show me a list of unrelated address from other state. Can I just specify in Los Angeles, California? Seems like there are no options for that.

The dvd saids its for GL 2007, CLK...etc Just wondering why the map is not accurate or don't have details information.

My MIA Portable GPS Navigation cost me less than $200 shows every single details.

Should I file a complain to MB or need to talk to a sales for a updated Navigation DVD.

Please advise.

Thanks
Old 12-28-2007, 12:37 PM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Originally Posted by Cedric1031
Does anyone have problem using the GPS from the GL450? When doing a search using "Point of Interest". Click on Name search. I try putting "IKEA" "BabiesRus" or any text format to find the location. It won't show anything. For IKEA, it will say IKEA something else. Which is from a different State. Lots of time it will not give me the destination info, other than that, it will show me a list of unrelated address from other state. Can I just specify in Los Angeles, California? Seems like there are no options for that.

The dvd saids its for GL 2007, CLK...etc Just wondering why the map is not accurate or don't have details information.

My MIA Portable GPS Navigation cost me less than $200 shows every single details.

Should I file a complain to MB or need to talk to a sales for a updated Navigation DVD.

Please advise.

Thanks

The GL nav system is not good. It is only adequate. If you put in an exact address it will take you right to your destination but it is not user friendly. You can find stores or whatever by searching under categories (Airports, parks, gas stations, etc.) an looking by nearest to greater distance. You can scroll to an entry and then select it, after which the nav will take you there.

It is not user friendly.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by oinick
The GL nav system is not good. It is only adequate. If you put in an exact address it will take you right to your destination but it is not user friendly. You can find stores or whatever by searching under categories (Airports, parks, gas stations, etc.) an looking by nearest to greater distance. You can scroll to an entry and then select it, after which the nav will take you there.

It is not user friendly.

Yup......
Old 12-28-2007, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Does anyone have problem using the GPS from the GL450? When doing a search using "Point of Interest". Click on Name search. I try putting "IKEA" "BabiesRus" or any text format to find the location. It won't show anything.
I've taken to doing category searches. For instance, if I tell it I want to go to a Walgreens nearby, I cannot search for "walgreens" as this doesn't seem to compute - it'll tell me about one a thousand miles away, but not the one around the corner. However, if I search by type (can't think of how it's done immediately) and scroll through the list of drug stores, there's that walgreens 2 miles away, and it takes me right there.

Another set of problems with the Nav (while we're on the subject) is a) it seems to want me to do U-turns all the time near my destination when I can just turn straight in there (unaware of breaks in or lack of a center divider), and it doesn't put the address up on the screen as your destination (sometimes when I'm getting close, I wonder, "Was that 4423 or 4432 I was looking for?" but no joy on having the Nav tell me). It's a point of contention that Mercedes electronics technology is a generation or three behind. The engine will go for a million miles - anything attached to that engine (including the chassis) is subject to forceful flinging into the trash bin.

STP
Old 12-28-2007, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My Nüvi was fantastic when I went on my cross-country motorhome trip, including live traffic warnings and local weather reports in major cities. Like I said, two to three to four generations behind, eh?

STP
Old 12-28-2007, 03:59 PM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
it doesn't put the address up on the screen as your destination (sometimes when I'm getting close, I wonder, "Was that 4423 or 4432 I was looking for?" but no joy on having the Nav tell me).

I have the same complaint. I'd love it if the address were to show on the screen. I've gotten used to the MB system, but I still like my Garmin Nuvi better.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:00 AM

3 Porsche rotation
I preferred the Garmin GPS from the rental car I had in Las Vegas over the Mercedes. I really tried to like Mercedes GPS but it is just not that good Now my wife wants me to buy a Garmin Nuvi GPS for travelling.

John

***The Lexus GPS is the only thing I missed from my old Lexus GX470.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:09 AM

2011 GL350, 2010 S550
I trully admire how patient and refrained most of the ppl on the board are. In my mind the built-in navigation unit is nothing more than an engineering excrement. It is amazing how any product manager that approved the navigation unit or executive in charge that accepts such a stone age user interface still has a job in 2007.
I wonder what other areas of the car design were affected by their brilliant reptilian cortex.

Last edited by MoTorque; 12-29-2007 at 05:11 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:04 AM

1982 300Dt, 2021GLE53, 2013 GLK250, 2009 Smart Cabrio
Mo....I've been a M-B driver for 30 years....and some of what you say is very true....the Germans Engineers seem to miss out on what really makes sense some time.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JohnAMG
***The Lexus GPS is the only thing I missed from my old Lexus GX470.
Try missing a decked-out Avic Z1 with backup camera and XM with traffic. That's what I put in my '99 LX470. My MB doesn't even have a backup camera (I know, I was supposed to add one but I was worried I'd get to the point of installing it only to find there's no harness for it). The new Highlander from Toyota doesn't even make that an option - you get a backup camera whether you have the nav, the updated audio or just standard.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:24 AM

3 Porsche rotation
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Try missing a decked-out Avic Z1 with backup camera and XM with traffic. That's what I put in my '99 LX470. My MB doesn't even have a backup camera (I know, I was supposed to add one but I was worried I'd get to the point of installing it only to find there's no harness for it). The new Highlander from Toyota doesn't even make that an option - you get a backup camera whether you have the nav, the updated audio or just standard.
Lack of logic and common sense is a genetic defective in Mercedes executives and engineers. Hey, at least they give us a half-*** bluetooth phone system, right

John
Old 12-29-2007, 01:09 PM

Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts
Various
Originally Posted by MoTorque
I trully admire how patient and refrained most of the ppl on the board are. In my mind the built-in navigation unit is nothing more than an engineering excrement. It is amazing how any product manager that approved the navigation unit or executive in charge that accepts such a stone age user interface still has a job in 2007.
I wonder what other areas of the car design were affected by their brilliant reptilian cortex.
My wife hates it - me too. Once she uses my Nuvi she'll swipe it. How could they make something so bad?? Even iDrive nav on my last car was easier to use.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,066 Likes on 855 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I recently received a letter from MBUSA saying they have a newly updated Navigation DVD. They want $200 for the new DVD but made no mention of the actual improvements from the old Nav DVD. Anyone else get the letter?
Old 12-29-2007, 02:19 PM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by BlownV8
I recently received a letter from MBUSA saying they have a newly updated Navigation DVD. They want $200 for the new DVD but made no mention of the actual improvements from the old Nav DVD. Anyone else get the letter?
No, but I have the latest version which I purchased in August from the company that produces the Nav DVD. My house is still showing as being in a gated community (hmm...must be invisible fencing or something!) and it cannot locate where I work even though the building has been there since 1998.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB
No, but I have the latest version which I purchased in August from the company that produces the Nav DVD. My house is still showing as being in a gated community (hmm...must be invisible fencing or something!)
Think of the increase in property value! Thanks, Mercedes!

BTW, I believe there is a common clearinghouse of map data that just about everyone uses - the question of course being how long they take to implement it into each system. Folks like Garmin and Tom Tom probably do it almost immediately as you can download updates from the Internet (quoting a MB COMAND engineer, "Vas ist das 'Internet' zehn?") and have the latest data right away.

STP
Old 12-29-2007, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,066 Likes on 855 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB
No, but I have the latest version which I purchased in August from the company that produces the Nav DVD. My house is still showing as being in a gated community (hmm...must be invisible fencing or something!) and it cannot locate where I work even though the building has been there since 1998.
Are you sure it's the latest one? I just received the letter from MBUSA last week.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:30 PM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Are you sure it's the latest one? I just received the letter from MBUSA last week.
On the back of the DVD box, it has a part number of BQ 646 02 26 & A169 827 4859 with a copywrite date of 2007. On the back of the DVD box that came with my GL the p/n is BQ 646 0200 & A169 827 3559 with a copywrite date of 2006.

If there is a later version, I'd personally be hesitant to spend the $$ for it, as I saw no difference between the 2006 & 2007 versions. I'm still in a faux gated community & the place I've worked at for over 2 years doesn't exist.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:31 PM

2007 E63 AMG
Angry

Originally Posted by MoTorque
I think the product manager should be fired. Why other german cars don't have this issues? We should file a complain to mercedes. Whats the point to pay thousand dollars for the NAV. This is ridiculous. From now on, If I have a chance to get another mercedes, 100% I will not get that option.

PS: Yes, also the stupid u-turn thing hahahaha. And the button to input the address, its little hard to move. Why can't they use touch screen. My friends Pioneer NAV is just hi-end. And it cost less than $2k
Old 12-31-2007, 01:42 PM

2007 E63 AMG
Angry

I think the product manager should be fired. Why other german cars don't have this issues? We should file a complain to mercedes. Whats the point to pay thousand dollars for the NAV. This is ridiculous. From now on, If I have a chance to get another mercedes, 100% I will not get that option.

PS: Yes, also the stupid u-turn thing hahahaha. And the button to input the address, its little hard to move. Why can't they use touch screen. My friends Pioneer NAV is just hi-end. And it cost less than $2k

By the way, does anyone having problem open up the cover to locate the battery under the passenger side seat. Today I was trying to jump start my other car, Trying to use the battery from the GL. Oh gosh, Open one side of the cover, then move the front chair backwards to remove the other side. My jump cable seems impossible to stick it in to the positive. There is no room. why can't they locate the battery in the front. Man, this GL is pain in the ***.