GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

did Service A today (10,000 miles) did they do it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2008 | 08:32 PM

06 CLS500
did Service A today (10,000 miles) did they do it?

had appt with dealer at 1pm today. They called yesterday to confirm.

1pm - arrive at dealer "thanks, we'll get right on it.. need a ride?".."no, it will take 2 hours, I'll wait.

1:45pm - guy gets in my truck and moves it to the back after sitting in the service drive 45 minutes. lol

2:45pm - "have time for us to wash it?"."sure, I've got some time"

3:15pm - I'm talking to a sales guy about the C63. Service Manager says "we're doing an ECU update and normally it takes 10 minutes, but this one stopped in the middle and we can't fix it, can ya wait a little?".. "sure"..

4:10pm - "it aint happening" says the service manager. "can we get you a rental?" "for how long?" I ask. "Truck can't be driven, MB isn't open on weekends, so maybe Monday?". "just get me home, I've got another car".

4:25pm - "driver is here, he'll take ya home"

4:45pm - courtesy driver answers the phone. "its for you", he saids. "hi, we got it fixed, can you come back?".."sure..".."and for your trouble I'm not gonna charge you for your Service A"... "ok, thanks... can you run it thru the wash for me?".. "we will do it"

5:10pm - back at dealership.

5:25pm - "here ya go, sorry for the confusion, but we got it all worked out"

I signed papers and left. My docs say the oil was changed and ECU update was complete, but no printout available. Some of you may know I've had a few problems with this dealer stepping up...

Think they did what they said they did? How can I tell if the oil is changed and ECU update was done correctly?
Old 01-04-2008 | 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by HoustonRider
[...]
Think they did what they said they did? How can I tell if the oil is changed and ECU update was done correctly?
HR, I'd say that if they had you on the way home with the driver, they weren't going to mess around with bringing you back without having done it. I know you've had trouble with this dealership before and I empathize, so it's worth it to figure out if there's a way to check on it, but frankly I'd be surprised if they went through all that hassle and ended up not doing the service.

Whether the ECU update was done correctly? I can only say I'd worry more about MB's update itself more than the dealership actually doing it.

STP
Old 01-04-2008 | 10:42 PM

ML320
i agree it seems like they were sincere, but i can understand your doubt, the tech has to attach the paper work to get paid so i`m sure they can show you.
what dealer in Houston are you having a problem with?
Old 01-05-2008 | 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
HR - I am surprised that no printout was given to you. Was it not available because they ran out of paper or what? Every time I have had any work done at the dealership, I have always seen detailed records of what was done in the paperwork handed to me. For example, when software upgrades are done, they note what TSB applied and the new version that was upgraded.

I would recommend you politely ask the dealership to give you the details. Tell them you are retentive and like to keep detailed records
Old 01-05-2008 | 03:17 AM
Cal

2018 Porsche Macan, 2017 NSX, 2011 R350
I agree with Steve and think that the dealer did the service A at the minimum. Don't think they'd go through all that trouble to try to shaft you. I would be skeptical about the ECU update, but do get them to give you a receipt of the work done so that you can keep for your records and use it against them if you discover in the future that they didn't do it. (For ex, if you take it to another dealer for your next service and they tell you they need to update the ECU again, or you can inquire about whether your ECU was updated or not.)

Any way, could you check to see what your on board computer says about what the next service is, and number of miles until next service?
Old 01-06-2008 | 03:22 PM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Originally Posted by HoustonRider

1pm - arrive at dealer "thanks, we'll get right on it.. need a ride?".."no, it will take 2 hours, I'll wait.

1:45pm - guy gets in my truck and moves it to the back after sitting in the service drive 45 minutes. lol

2:45pm - "have time for us to wash it?"."sure, I've got some time"

3:15pm - I'm talking to a sales guy about the C63. Service Manager says "we're doing an ECU update and normally it takes 10 minutes, but this one stopped in the middle and we can't fix it, can ya wait a little?".. "sure"..

4:10pm - "it aint happening" says the service manager. "can we get you a rental?" "for how long?" I ask. "Truck can't be driven, MB isn't open on weekends, so maybe Monday?". "just get me home, I've got another car".

4:25pm - "driver is here, he'll take ya home"

4:45pm - courtesy driver answers the phone. "its for you", he saids. "hi, we got it fixed, can you come back?".."sure..".."and for your trouble I'm not gonna charge you for your Service A"... "ok, thanks... can you run it thru the wash for me?".. "we will do it"

5:10pm - back at dealership.

5:25pm - "here ya go, sorry for the confusion, but we got it all worked out"

I signed papers and left. My docs say the oil was changed and ECU update was complete, but no printout available. Some of you may know I've had a few problems with this dealer stepping up...

You can tell if the oil has been changed by checking the dipstick to see if the oil looks new. In the CDI, the oil turns dark very quickly so you need to check soon to see if it looks new.