GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Luggage Rack Rails

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 320 CDI
Luggage Rack Rails

Does anyone know how hard it is to change out the main rails? Not the crossbars the actual rails. I got the black ones and want the chrome ones.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Clearly the headliner comes out.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Somewhere quite some time ago....either on this or the other forum.....I followed a post where they indicated that it is indeed a difficult job best done by a body shop that has the service manual and the tools.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:27 AM

2011 GL350, 2010 S550
I did look into the rail replacement and after I saw the MB instructions I didn't even care to keep the documents.

The whole headliner has to come off (it will end up resting on the seats) plus the other associated components like sun visors, A & B plilar inserts, disconnect all the headliner lamps, remove all the handles and bunch of other stuff (the few things I can remember). It is a huge job and since many parts are snaped in and held in only by friction, I can only imagine the symphony of new rattles after the operation.

If you have anybody close by that sells or uses chrome paint products from the companies like
http://www.alsacorp.com/products/kil...llerchrome.htm
http://www.newfantachrome.com/goin/p...antachrome.htm
http://www.sprayonchrome.com/index2.html

it may be worth investigating to see how it looks since is a much lower cost operation. I am almost sure it will not be as scratch resistant as the real chrome rails if you slide the cross bars a few times, but it may have the same visual effect.

BTW the chrome rails call for the window trim strips to be replaced with the chrome ones (about $500-600 for all six pcs) as well so the car has the factory look. Fortunatelly those are easier to remove and if the chrome paint looks like the real thing it can all be done at the same time.

Last edited by MoTorque; 01-15-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:24 AM

gl 550 ob/black
it is an undertaking. mine have been worked on twice...long story but
the first time i filled up the car i noticed on in the inside of the chrome roof rail a significant dent about 1cm wide and 3-4 mm deep and alos noticed across from this one on the passenger side but more like a pin point.
i took the car in and the SA said we'll check it out. i was concernea bout rust etc. this was not visible from the side of the car anyway it turns out they replaced the roof rails which necessitated taking the entire headkiner apart over a dasy worth of labor, leaving scuff marks and dirt...and then didnt even pur the passenger side on correctly. since i have gone to another dealership and they had to take the headliner out again and install correctly...and you know what i learned wheni finally looked in the book...that there are uspposed to be small marks or guides ther to tell you wherre to place a cross bar...the SA had no clue and if they had informed me thery were going to to that much damage to replace i would have probably left alone