GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

iPod interface question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL320CDI
iPod interface question

OK, so I've searched the gadget forum, and read what's been said in the GL forum, but still can't get a good handle on this thing.

- How does it work? Is the iPod display visible anywhere (other than the bloody iPod). I gather it doesn't display on the COMAND, but between the two main gauges in front of the driver? What do you see?

- Sound - 50% of the posts I see say it isn't great, 50% say it is.

- Where is the iPod though all of this? Glove box? Centre console?

- Can you switch the unit through any of the steering wheel or COMAND controls?

Confused, and my dealer doesn't know **** about it.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:58 PM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Originally Posted by Sastrugi
OK, so I've searched the gadget forum, and read what's been said in the GL forum, but still can't get a good handle on this thing.

- How does it work? Is the iPod display visible anywhere (other than the bloody iPod). I gather it doesn't display on the COMAND, but between the two main gauges in front of the driver? What do you see?

- Sound - 50% of the posts I see say it isn't great, 50% say it is.

- Where is the iPod though all of this? Glove box? Centre console?

- Can you switch the unit through any of the steering wheel or COMAND controls?

Confused, and my dealer doesn't know **** about it.
The iPod data shows up on the MFD in the dashboard console between the tach and the speedometer. You push the function select button on the left side of the steering wheel until the iPod song data shows up. To get the iPod to work, plug it in the glove box. On the center console (the nav console), push audio, then select AUX. You can control the iPod from the steering wheel or from the radio buttons. The iPod information does not show up on the nav display screen in my 2007 GL, but it might in 2008s. I don't know about that.

The sound from playing the iPod is adequate, and not as good as from Sirius or a CD.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:24 PM
fmr

GL320
good description above and the same applies to my 2008. once you plug the ipod in, you can no longer use the controls on the ipod, need to use the GL audio controls. Other than volume the only thing you can do is move back or forward between songs. The song names display through the steering wheel between the speedo and tach. a tip I received from the dealer is if you want to play songs from a specific play list, get it started before plugging in to the car adapter. Sound is ok and overall limited functionality.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by fmr
good description above and the same applies to my 2008. once you plug the ipod in, you can no longer use the controls on the ipod, need to use the GL audio controls. Other than volume the only thing you can do is move back or forward between songs. The song names display through the steering wheel between the speedo and tach. a tip I received from the dealer is if you want to play songs from a specific play list, get it started before plugging in to the car adapter. Sound is ok and overall limited functionality.
I concur that oinick provided a great description.

However, you can cycle through Artists, Songs, Playlists, Albums using the up/down arrow buttons and telephone buttons on steering wheel. Refer to the iPod manual or ask (if you are lazy like me )

fmr, don't believe everything about this car that the dealer tells you
Old 01-28-2008, 12:35 AM
fmr

GL320
thanks for the info. have not had an opportunity to go through the manual but will give it a try and take the time to read it.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:40 AM

2008 GL320CDI
Thanks guys,

Re: less than stunning sound quality - I currently use one of those radio broadcast thingies for my iPod in my XC70, and was unimpressed with the sound despite the car having a very nice stereo. I assumed it had to do with the radio transmitter.

Then a gadget geek friend (I'm a Luddite) told me that you can select the download quality in iTunes, and that the default is a relatively low-quality setting. I went into iTunes and selected the highest quality - which uses double the space, but I don't care because it's an 80 gig - and the sound is much better.

Might be something for you to try.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
I currently use one of those radio broadcast thingies for my iPod in my XC70, and was unimpressed with the sound despite the car having a very nice stereo. I assumed it had to do with the radio transmitter.
You are absolutely right. Those broadcast thingies (aka FM Modulators) are not very good. So, iPod kit is a definite step up.

Look for other discussions on iPod souond quality, especially, gordongl450's posts if you want more details and perspectives.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Thanks guys,

Re: less than stunning sound quality - I currently use one of those radio broadcast thingies for my iPod in my XC70, and was unimpressed with the sound despite the car having a very nice stereo. I assumed it had to do with the radio transmitter.

Then a gadget geek friend (I'm a Luddite) told me that you can select the download quality in iTunes, and that the default is a relatively low-quality setting. I went into iTunes and selected the highest quality - which uses double the space, but I don't care because it's an 80 gig - and the sound is much better.

Might be something for you to try.

How do you do this? I just looked now on my Macbook Pro and could see no such setting. I'm clearly a luddite too.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:33 AM

2008 GL320CDI
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
How do you do this? I just looked now on my Macbook Pro and could see no such setting. I'm clearly a luddite too.
On my PC, I opened iTunes, click Edit on the top left, Preferences, Advanced, Importing, then selected Higher Quality (256kbs).

Does not apply to downloads from iTunes, but works for your CDs.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
On my lease GL I did the NavTv interface oPi-M It replaces the changer, and is on the fiber optic loop. It uses the cd changer protocal and shows up on both the command and the cluster. The MB one is only on the cluster because it is a band aid, they use your aux input and throw a can converter on the wires to navigate the ipod. If you really call it navigating. Anyways it is a bandaid. the OPI-M that I installed I did in about an hour while doing some other mods. Now the cool thing about this piece is that you still have the aux input from the factory available, plus I ordered miy OPIM with an aux audio in which throws it on fiber optic cable. Other things I did is rear DVD players with 7" screens, interfaced video to the front screen, added a rear camera in the factory opening, did a K-40 radar detector with 2 laser defusers on front, added a JL audio subwoofer in the rear right corner, replaced the door speakers and amplified both with an amp located under the access panel for the spare.. everything is reversible and no wires were cut at all. I might suede the headliner A,B,C, and D panels along with the sunroof all in real Alcantara not the fake crap out there, and do a few dash more accent panels in the matching suede. I also added sat radio to it on screen

Meanwhile i forgot to add oil and I blew the engine. just messing with you on that

BTW everything on the vehicle is integrated like no other, as if it was factory. the only thing that doesn't seem to be a perfect integration is the rear DVD screens. Reason being is that I have 2. I can control 1 through the front via an IR remote control aimed at the front screen, which repeats it to the headrest. Also i am working with a company that is developing a Bluetooth interface for the GL... well anything MB after 05, seems to work good, but has it's moments
Old 01-29-2008, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
I will be also doing the same to my wifes R class, the exact same stuff, same everything, but the woofer enclosure is going to be a different shape.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by jbondox
Meanwhile i forgot to add oil and I blew the engine.
I loved that little joke!

You have certainly tricked out your GL. Would love to see it in action someday!
Old 01-29-2008, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
You have certainly tricked out your GL. Would love to see it in action someday!
I will settle for pics

Last edited by oknish; 01-30-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
you know that if i post them again, I am going to get banned... again. There are a few here that can collaborate. Now if I said something in private messaging... that would be private... or hit me up with an email and i will send you some pics in the (late) morning.... Hey I am a retiree... I sleep in

my new email is jbondox@***.net I switched ISP's
Old 01-30-2008, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
you know that if i post them again, I am going to get banned... again.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
I ussed to be associated with a shop, not any longer, but if i do post them the amdeuche (sp) says i am advertising then bans me. I respect the forum and the moderators, also the people that pay to advertise and support it, and do agree with him, I was warned several times, and pushed my luck 1 too many times, so the last one resulted in a 2 week ban... that is like taking away my cable remote control
Old 01-30-2008, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Thanks for the clarification jbondox!
Old 01-30-2008, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
2 week ban... that is like taking away my cable remote control
oh.....the horror......the horror.........
Old 02-03-2008, 01:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 GL 550
Originally Posted by oinick
The iPod data shows up on the MFD in the dashboard console between the tach and the speedometer. You push the function select button on the left side of the steering wheel until the iPod song data shows up. To get the iPod to work, plug it in the glove box. On the center console (the nav console), push audio, then select AUX. You can control the iPod from the steering wheel or from the radio buttons. The iPod information does not show up on the nav display screen in my 2007 GL, but it might in 2008s. I don't know about that.

The sound from playing the iPod is adequate, and not as good as from Sirius or a CD.
Does your ipod stay on after you shut the car off? I've noticed that mine stays on and is on before I start the car...