Best time of the month/year to purchase a GL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL320 CDI; 2005 E320; 2004 911 Cab
Best time of the month/year to purchase a GL

Hello all,

I'm thinking about getting a CDI GL to replace my 99 ML. I'm in no rush so I'd like to time my purchase so I can get the best price. I'd expect the end of the month to be best, and perhaps the end of the quarter as well. How about seasons?

Also, it seems obvious that purchasing a car in stock will lead to a much better price than ordering. But, how much is the ordering premium?

By the way I'm in the Pacific NW (Portland) - if that is relevant.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

NWmb
Old 02-03-2008, 02:52 PM
MKW

08 GL450
The best time to buy a car is the last day of the month, esp if it's near closing time in winter , snowing/raining , mid week and you are the only customer whose been in all day ! The sales mgr will do anything to make his monthly units sold number look good , the heck with owner's profit. Year end close -outs don't make sense to me, as the moment you drive off the lot with that great deal , you are driving a 1 year older model whose value is forever several thousands less in trade later on.

Last edited by MKW; 02-03-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLE 350 W4, 2016 C 300, 2012 E 350 W4 Lux, 2006 ML 350
Wink Sept - Dec

I bought my ML in December of the same model year and got a really good price on it.

I imagine once the new year's model comes out, everyone is going to want them instead of the year earlier and dealers are looking to move them.

Perfect time for you to get a deal. Especially if there is no real difference in the models and you are planning to keep it for a while.

Besides the packages, I don't think the M class models have changed all that much since '06.

If you really don't mind waiting, the best time to buy is when they come out with a redesign of the class, but being they recently did the M probably won't be for some time. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Good Luck
Old 02-03-2008, 04:19 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by NWmb
Hello all,

I'm thinking about getting a CDI GL to replace my 99 ML. I'm in no rush so I'd like to time my purchase so I can get the best price. I'd expect the end of the month to be best, and perhaps the end of the quarter as well. How about seasons?

Also, it seems obvious that purchasing a car in stock will lead to a much better price than ordering. But, how much is the ordering premium?

By the way I'm in the Pacific NW (Portland) - if that is relevant.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

NWmb
If you plan to keep the GL for as long as you kept your ML, than a certified 2007 model with an extended warranty is probably your best bet. Like others have said, buy at the end of the month. I've only seen one CDI here in CA (always wondered how it got licensed) but checking out areas where there are multiple dealers like the Bay Area offers the benefit of dealers fighting over your sale.

If you really want a new one and plan to keep your GL for almost ten years than wait until around the end of July or August when the 2009 models should start coming out.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1982 300Dt, 2021GLE53, 2013 GLK250, 2009 Smart Cabrio
Last day of month is best....I have done it twice in last 5 years...and it works. Better be sure that the car you want is on the lot and they will go out of their way to move it.