GL vs Buick Enclave

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL320 CDI; 2005 E320; 2004 911 Cab
GL vs Buick Enclave

Hello all,

I’m surprised this hasn’t come up before, but for me the real dilemma is between these two vehicles. I never thought I would see the day when I’d seriously consider an American (let alone GM) car. But, here is the day. According to my analysis so far here’s my take:

Mercedes GL 320 CDI
- It’s a Mercedes
- Roomier back seats with a child seat latch
- Slight edge in interior styling

Buick Enclave
- Somewhere around $15k less for comparable sets of features
- Captains seating – better access to 3rd row seats
- Slight edge in exterior styling
- Here’s a surprise – edge in fuel cost

We are expecting our second child and will have two kids in car seats at the same time. This is a pretty important factor which eliminates many 3rd row seat options. For example, in the MDX, the only place to put car seats is in the second row outside seats. That means to ride with grandma and grandpa we would need to remove one car seat, let GM & GP get in, then reinstall the car seat. No thanks. The GL and Enclave both solve this problem with different methods. The Enclave captain’s chairs would allow GM & GP to get in and get to the back seat via the gap between chairs. The GL solves the problem with latches in the 3rd row (i.e. so we can put one car seat back there when GM & GP are around).

About the fuel – I was very surprised to see the Enclave at 17 mpg city. While the GL CDI is higher at 18 mpg the diesel gas is more expensive. So the fuel cost edge goes to the Enclave (and that doesn’t even take into account the fact that the diesel fuel is harder to find).

Both models are in demand, so I’d expect to get around the same discount off MSRP.

Reliability – Consumer reports can’t rank either as they are knew. However, my expectation is they are both about the same (equally bad).

I like the exterior styling on the Enclave a bit more than the GL, but I like the GL’s interior.

Rationally, and driven by the big price difference, I lean strongly to the Enclave. But, emotionally, I lean to the Mercedes.

What to you folks think? Any inputs will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. NWmb
Old 02-10-2008, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by NWmb
Hello all,

I’m surprised this hasn’t come up before, but for me the real dilemma is between these two vehicles. I never thought I would see the day when I’d seriously consider an American (let alone GM) car. But, here is the day. According to my analysis so far here’s my take:

Mercedes GL 320 CDI
- It’s a Mercedes

Buick Enclave

We are expecting our second child and will have two kids in car seats at the same time. This is a pretty important factor which eliminates many 3rd row seat options. For example, in the MDX, the only place to put car seats is in the second row outside seats. That means to ride with grandma and grandpa we would need to remove one car seat, let GM & GP get in, then reinstall the car seat. No thanks. The GL and Enclave both solve this problem with different methods. The Enclave captain’s chairs would allow GM & GP to get in and get to the back seat via the gap between chairs. The GL solves the problem with latches in the 3rd row (i.e. so we can put one car seat back there when GM & GP are around).

About the fuel – I was very surprised to see the Enclave at 17 mpg city. While the GL CDI is higher at 18 mpg the diesel gas is more expensive. So the fuel cost edge goes to the Enclave (and that doesn’t even take into account the fact that the diesel fuel is harder to find).

Both models are in demand, so I’d expect to get around the same discount off MSRP.

Reliability – Consumer reports can’t rank either as they are knew. However, my expectation is they are both about the same (equally bad).

I like the exterior styling on the Enclave a bit more than the GL, but I like the GL’s interior.

Rationally, and driven by the big price difference, I lean strongly to the Enclave. But, emotionally, I lean to the Mercedes.

Thanks in advance. NWmb
I know nothing of the Enclave but take both of them for a test drive and if you still think the Enclave is equal to or better than the GL, buy it.

I would also suggest you look into the the safety aspects of both vehicles and the history of MB in this area.

Good luck in your search...it is not an easy decision.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:13 PM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
I think the MSRP would be more like 20-25K less than a GL. I would bet that you could get a huge discount on the Buick. They may be in demand for now, but good ole GM will crank out about 100K of them quickly. The Enclave only offers a V6 gas 275 HP / 251 ft/lb and wouldn't perform anywhere near any of the GL's, including the 320. It only has a 4500 lb towing capacity. The AWD version gets 16 / 22, average 18. That is slightly better than a 450, but giving up a ton of performance.

I'm not saying it is a bad vehicle and I'm sure it would serve you well if that's the direction you need to go. It's just not in the same class as a GL.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:02 PM

2007 GL450
MB GL's (and ML's) have 2nd row side impact air bags. The only vehicle in it's class to have those standard. These provide torso protection for the outboard 2nd row seat passengers. This is in addition to the full side curtain airbags.

The Buick does not have side impact bags for the 2nd row, just full side curtain airbags.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:55 PM

E55
Its a BUICK! end of story

Just kidding get whatever you like the best. I could not personally drive a BUICK but from what I have read about that series of crossover SUVs they offer alot for your money. Good luck.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:48 PM

GL450
I actually thought of the Honda Pilot instead of the GL450 as the value option. There are so many automobile options out there I just coundn't imagine commiting a chunk of hard earned money towards a new Buick. I just had buyers remorse just thinking about it : )
Old 02-10-2008, 11:19 PM

GL450
Hello all,

My kids are 2.5 and 4.5 and our grand parents visit about 3-4 times a year and we never drive more than an hour away. My older kid is in booster now and my younger one could be but still uses a latch seat. So assuming your older child will be out of latch seat within a year and your grand parents don't visit that often, than latch in the 3rd may not be such a big issue. Could be what Honda/Acura figured out in cutting out latch in the third row.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:10 AM
Almost a Member!

2008 GL450
It seems the OP is where I was last November when we decided on our GL450. We were expecting our 2nd child (now 6 weeks old) and wanted to find a vehicle to transport the growing family and grandparents. We looked at all the available 7-8 passengers vehicles and decided on the GL for several reasons including the 3rd row anchors. It works well in our situation with one carseat in the 3rd row for my 2yo daughter and the 2nd child in the second row. My daughter loves sitting the the back and having her own window and sunroof. This setup allows us to easily fit 2 other adults (grandparents) in the first 2 rows without having them climb into the 3rd row. Mom can easily reach both children when needed while sitting in the second row. Other deciding factors were safety, handling, styling and of course, nothing says luxury more than MB.

I don't necessary like saying this...however, there is an old adage: "You get what you pay for." It's a matter of personal preferences for you to decide on the perfect vehicle for you and your family. The determining factors in purchasing a vehicle may be typical among most buyers...the only thing is we place value in each factor differently.

Good luck in your purchase.

Steve
Old 02-11-2008, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Funny enough, it's usually not an argument between German and domestic but German and Japanese, mostly because of build quality on the Japanese market verus ... I dunno, "soul" is how one guy put it. But in this case, you've got two things going for your Buick. First, home field advantage - it's locally built, it should be fairly cheap to maintain, and there's a dealership to fix it every four and a half feet. Second, Buick is one of the few domestics that has not only shown good build quality but recommendations from (among others) Consumer Reports for purchasing used. So clearly, the Buick is the way to go.

Then again, it is a Buick. "Oh, what'd you come in tonight?" "Uh, the, uh, the Buick." "oh ..."

Versus, "Yeah, we brought the Benz tonight because we had to latch the kids in back and bring the ponies - Alfonz won the crown, you know?"

Oh, all right, not quite. But seriously, a diesel MB will hold value stronger, and a gas engine will always, always run out first. Diesel really is the next wave in mileage accumulation. You'll be ahead of the curve. Plus, all of us will be your friends. Serioulsy. Every one of these guys (save OKNish) likes me. At least a little. Well, maybe not GL Fahrer also, but most of 'em.

It's late, I'm being goofy. Buy the car you know you're going to want in five years. I think you're looking at two strong contenders.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:49 AM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
The Enclave is an especially nice version of the platform GM is also using as a Saturn and GMC.

It is not really in the same class as the GL, however.

But I can see how you might want to save $20K or more compared the GL.

This is a little snobbish, but I don't think most people who post here would consider the Enclave. The same goes for the posts comparing the GL to the Infiniti. And while the Cayenne is a great ride, it is not really comparable to the GL either...

Last edited by oinick; 02-11-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
I think the Enclave looks like a big hunk of doodoo, but subjectivity aside I think it's a good buy for the money.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:49 PM

2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
I'd buy a Mazda CX9 before a Buick. Take a look at those, it's got a Ford power plant so it's serviceable everywhere, and it's got tons of great options and looks way cooler than a Buick.

Oh, unless you decide to come down our road! I never thought once of the Buick - and buyers remorse comes to my mind too! After you drive the GL for a few months, you really learn to appreciate the build quality as it is the quietest car in its class...period. The mileage issue...well I've never gotten below 20 around town and always get high 20's on the road. The Buick will never do this. Buick - it' even feels weird to type the name - let alone say it!
Old 02-11-2008, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Which iron engine with its design dating to the 1960s is fitted to the Enclave?
Old 02-11-2008, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by lkchris
Which iron engine with its design dating to the 1960s is fitted to the Enclave?
Kent, if you have an opinion about the Buick and its technology, you should just say it. All this subtlety is really just difficult to get my head around.

STP
Old 02-12-2008, 10:18 AM

C63, GL450, Panamera S, lots of little British leakers
we tried the Enclave/Acadia/Outlook

NWmb, I faced the exact same dilemma... on paper and in the showroom, the Enclave and its GM twins, the GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook appear to be more than a match for the GL in the "large crossover, 3 rows of seats" segment.
So we rented an Acadia from Hertz for a week in San Diego last fall.
Interior room was very good.
Ride and handling were acceptable, but not exceptional.
The engine was noisy (although the Buick version gets "quiet tuning")
The V6 is underpowered for moving that much mass.
The gas mileage was atrocious (16 overall).
So, we ended up buying a lightly used '07 GL450. We nixed the '08's solely because my wife's back really likes the multi-contour seats that are NLA on the 450. And the price savings over a brand new one helped a lot to ease the sticker sting betwen the GL and the Enclave.

No regrets, I'd do it all over again.

BTW, Chevy's version of the Enclave is due this summer... the "Traverse".
Old 02-12-2008, 10:32 AM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by TV550
Its a BUICK! end of story

I do like the suggestion of renting the Buick before buying. I drove Fords for most of my life before getting my GL; I had an Expedition (Eddie Bauer model) before the GL and while I loved my Expedition, it doesn't even begin to compare with the GL in ride or handling. I've had my GL for almost a year now and I'm still amazed at how quiet it is inside.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:16 AM

2007 GL320 CDI; 2005 E320; 2004 911 Cab
Upon further investigation ...

Hello all,

First I’d like to thank all of you for your responses. There are a couple of comments which were very insightful – in particular
- The power/mileage ratio of the GL
- The additional towing capacity of the GL

I’ve now had a chance to drive both vehicles. I was impressed with the GL320. It is quite a comfortable ride with a peppy engine. I was also equally impressed with the Enclave. GM has really done a great job with this vehicle. It is very quiet (just as quiet as the GL) and had a very refined drive.

After all this I’m still on the fence. All things being equal I’d choose the GL. But, things really aren’t equal – the GL is 50% more expensive. Now I’m not poor by any means (the new car will be sitting in the garage with a 911 and E320), but $20k is a lot of money.

As far as owning a Buick is concerned – well I previously would have been in the same camp as many of you. But, well, times they are a changing. If I look at the trend on the two brands it seems to me that Mercedes is on a down trend (reliability problems, the Chrysler fiasco, etc.) while Buick is on an uptrend (well where else can you go but up if you are in a deep pit). I’ll keep pondering, but I’m leaning towards the Buick.

Oh, and if I go with the Buick I hope all of you won’t disown me – I’ll still have an E320.

Thanks again. NW-MB
Old 02-17-2008, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
If I look at the trend on the two brands it seems to me that Mercedes is on a down trend (reliability problems, the Chrysler fiasco, etc.) while Buick is on an uptrend (well where else can you go but up if you are in a deep pit). NW-MB
Your trend analysis is a little off. The Mercedes is on an upward trend and the S550, the new C Class and the GL Class are a true indication of this.

As far as the Buick trend is concerned, it all depends on whether GM can turn itself into a profit making endeavor. If it does then the upward trend will continue, if not then all the GM products will suffer.

In my opinion you are comparing Apples and Oranges. The Buick is a very nice car I am sure but it is no Mercedes Benz. It appears your prime reason comes down to dollars. There is nothing wrong with that but when you park a Buick in your garage instead of a Mercedes Benz, you have given up something and it only you who can determine what that is. As the owner of a E320 you know what the answer is.

Enjoy whatever you choose and I am sure you will still be welcome on the E320 threads.

Stated with no animosity and from the keyboard of a 30 year history of driving MB and the prior owner of a 1962, 64, 65 and 69 Buick...
Old 02-17-2008, 07:08 AM

1982 300Dt, 2021GLE53, 2013 GLK250, 2009 Smart Cabrio
I also rented an Acadia on a business trip....was considering it as well as the GL320CDI. Also test drove the Enclave...it had better interior appointments than the Acadia and an uglier exterior,IMHO. But, as a 35 year M-B driver, I went with the GL for several reasons...German Engineering, better fuel mileage (you'll esaily beat the 18mpg you mentiond above...my average for 7500 miles has been 20.6mpg with lots of in-town driving), and lastly and most importantly; resale value.
Only complaint I have is the 7 speed transmission....I'm still trying to adapt to it! I've been consistently told that it will adapt to me...NOT!
Old 02-17-2008, 07:55 PM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Originally Posted by N'AWLINS
Only complaint I have is the 7 speed transmission....I'm still trying to adapt to it! I've been consistently told that it will adapt to me...NOT!

I agree fully that the tranny in the 7 speed is hard to get used to. But it seems to hunt for the sweet torque spot.

I suggest driving the living hell out of it with the radio playing full loud.

Works for me.

I love my GL 320.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:21 PM
JAM

SL600
Have a friend with an Acadia. Very nice for an American car, but it is not even close to a Benz in terms of handling/cornering, ride quality, quietness, and feel for the road. Again, impressive for an American car, but no contest.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:26 PM

'08 GL320 CDI, 2001 996 C4S
Hello all,

Mercedes GL 320 CDI
- It’s a Mercedes

Buick Enclave

Thanks in advance. NWmb
Again it will depend on your preference. As everybody has said you got the name behind the mercedes not that it always comes with reliability.
The only issue I would like to point out is the gas or diesel mileage for the 320 CDI. If you search this forum on the diesel mileage, the average you will see is 21-22 MPG around town and 24-26 MPG on the highway. On my experience I have averaging 22-23 MPG city driving and 25-27 on highway especially that the engine has been broken-in ( I am at 15000 miles).If you compute it let us say:
Diesel : in my neck of woods ( Dayton OH) $ 3.49 if I run 21-22 MPG it will be $ 0.158-$0.166 / mile city driving and highway at 25-27 MPG it will be $0.129-$0.139 / mile
Gas: If you say that Enclave runs 17 MPG on city this is your cost
I you use
regular unleaded ($3.09) $0.181/mile
plus unleaded ( $3.29) $0.193/ mile
premium ( $3.39) $0.199/ mile

With this comparison the diesel has to be at the almost $ 4.00 dollar / gallon range to be comparable to the gas cost/ mile.
If you drive 15000/ year diesel will save you $ 345/year comparable to regular unleaded, $ 525/ year comparable to plus unleaded and $615/ year comparable to premium unleaded.
I know this will not off-set the price difference between the two but I know diesel engine will run longer than the gas counterparts.
Now this is only my opinion anybody can dispute on this.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:58 PM
JAM

SL600
Nothing is more engineered around safety than a Benz. Perhaps that's where some of the $15K comes into play. For overall refinement and quality of materials, Benz wins. The GL is an amazing vehicle and one of the best Benzes I have owned.

You mention the emotional part. I completely understand that. Once bought a BMW X5 and it was not the same as a Benz.

I can appreciate trying to compare a Benz with something else, but in all due respect, and I mean this sincerely, you cannot compare a Benz with a Buick. Well, obviously you can, but other than cost and maybe styling preference, there is "nothing" to compare.

Back to the emotional sides... If you buy the GL, you will not look back and wish that you bought the Buick. If you buy the Buick, you will most definately wish that you bought the Benz.